BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

i've heard a lot of talk about the CSL version of this M3, and how what we saw at the geneva auto show was actually a hybrid of the two. assuming you're correct scott, and that it is in realilty a hybrid of the two, then it seems pretty safe to assume that bmw is setting its sights on an imminent CSL release soon, and perhaps on a larger scale then the e46 m3 csl.

so the real question for you scott is..... when is this CSL supposed to be available (especially in the US)?

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #24
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

maybe if the CSL is produced more extensively it will allow for a lower MSRP for the base M3 like someone just quoted at $53,975...

then they could leave room for a more exclusive and expensive CSL

just a thought
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #25
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

If the standard model doesn't look like the CSL hybrid ie no bonnet hump, CF roof or those alloys, I doubt I'd buy one. Nor the CSL, as BMW are likely to use them stupid paddles on it.
      03-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #26
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Mans those rims are UGLY. They just keep giving me more and more reason to not like this car.

The rims are BARNONE the easiest thing to change on any car. To tell you the truth I am 50/50 on whether I want to like the factory rims or not.

A) If they're good, than thats's a few G's you'll get to save.

B) If they're no good that's one way you can make your car stick out / be more unique than every other one out there.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #27
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Actually it looked like the car under the tarp was a 4 door. Maybe the four door will have the concept like rims and the coupes will have the CSL wheels.

Jason
      03-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #28
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Hate to say it Scott, but REPOST. I posted before you did!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...663#post754663

I won't believe this is the production version under wraps. And why roll it out on stage? There is NO WAY those rims are for real. My money is still on the split-spoke version of the M5-ish looking ones we all thought were production when the gray mule appeared a while back.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #29
M///Addict
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 550i

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trpltrbl View Post
If you really need a M3 logo on your car for others to see, you just don't get it
I get it. I have an M3 dude! It's just the M3 om the rear looks cool. If you don't know the answer to my question then don't waste my time with your sarcastic remarks.
Attached Images

03-09-2007, 02:23 AM   #30
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
There is a "production" version of the M3 in Geneva as well as the concept M3 which we already saw. Like I said the one we have already seen is a hybrid between a production car and the CSL version. Here is a video of the production version. Mans those rims are UGLY. They just keep giving me more and more reason to not like this car.

does anybody have any news about the ///M in Geneva today by any chance

and pics?>??

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #31
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
The car totally covered in the video is the "production" version, I suspect. Why else would they risk moving it so carefully covered up? To keep prying eyes away is the obvious answer! OK why did the production-CSL concept have a warning about the RF calibration - simply because the system was not installed on this car or the rims do not support the system. Again, just speculation/debate, but Soctts reply seems to support this theory as well.

The car's been covered up because this was before the presentation on March 6th. You can see that the car has been "driven" to the place, from where Andi Priaulx started.. Here's a photo of the same car with the already changed concept rims: http://www.mwerks.com/gallery/albums//Events/International%20Motorshows/Geneva%202007/M3%20Concept/031.jpg
[source: www.mwerks.com ]
Sorry, I mixed up runflat and FTM. So I didn't mean runflat, I meant the Flat Tire Monitor. This system works with the wheel speed sensors of the DSC. On this passive system theres no sensor or anything else in the rims or tires; so every rim "supports" the system. But if you change the tires/rims so that the wheel circumference also changes, the FTM is irritated and asks for recalibration.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #32
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The car's been covered up because this was before the presentation on March 6th. You can see that the car has been "driven" to the place, from where Andi Priaulx started.. Here's a photo of the same car with the already changed concept rims: http://www.mwerks.com/gallery/albums...oncept/031.jpg
Sorry, I mixed up runflat and FTM. So I didn't mean runflat, I meant the Flat Tire Monitor. This system works with the wheel speed sensors of the DSC. On this passive system theres no sensor or anything else in the rims or tires; so every rim "supports" the system. But if you change the tires/rims so that the wheel circumference also changes, the FTM is irritated and asks for recalibration.

Best regards, south
+1

Agree with everything you say! The wheels that were on first are the standard 18" wheels which we will see on the production version. They then put on the 19" CSL wheels. The 19" optional wheels for the production version will be these below. I don't know why there is all this speculation. Seems pretty obvious to me what's going to happen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #33
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///Addict View Post
I get it. I have an M3 dude! It's just the M3 om the rear looks cool. If you don't know the answer to my question then don't waste my time with your sarcastic remarks.
Who doesn't want to proudly display their car's heritage, whether it's a "M" badge or otherwise. Yes, we lust after these cars for their performance, but I'll admit that I also want to show my colors; albiet subtly.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wheels only

Quote:
The car's been covered up because this was before the presentation on March 6th. You can see that the car has been "driven" to the place, from where Andi Priaulx started.. Here's a photo of the same car with the already changed concept rims: http://www.mwerks.com/gallery/albums...oncept/031.jpg

Best regards, south
OK you surely know more about the tire monitoring system than me...but... How do you know which car is which when they are totally covered and all you can see are the rims? I still think they are showing two cars there, one to the public and one behind closed doors. It makes sense, that is the way shows work, Scott said it and there are pictures to support that point of view, along with the CSL elements we can all see on the concept.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #35
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
........Scott said it.....
Oh well. If Scott said it.....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #36
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
OK you surely know more about the tire monitoring system than me...but... How do you know which car is which when they are totally covered and all you can see are the rims? I still think they are showing two cars there, one to the public and one behind closed doors. It makes sense, that is the way shows work, Scott said it and there are pictures to support that point of view, along with the CSL elements we can all see on the concept.
I do respect what Scott says and everything but didnt he admit he lied to throw us off?
I don't feel like searching for that thread but I know swamp and southlight remembers.
So I say we just sit back and watch wats going on, no more arguing.. things can change and completely throw us off.

Now another question... werent we supposed to learn "a little" more information when the autoshow started on Thursday?
And now that this is over we have to wait till July to see whats up?

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #37
M///Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Who doesn't want to proudly display their car's heritage, whether it's a "M" badge or otherwise. Yes, we lust after these cars for their performance, but I'll admit that I also want to show my colors; albiet subtly.
Ecxactly, Thank you DEVO for the back up.:rocks:
      03-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #38
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
Now another question... werent we supposed to learn "a little" more information when the autoshow started on Thursday?
Yeah. This really sucks. We didn't get any specs other than the freakin' wheel sizes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #39
M///Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///Addict View Post
Ecxactly, Thank you DEVO for the back up.:rocks:
I do proudly like displaying my colors.
Attached Images

03-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #40
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I agree and disagree at same time. I have no doubt at all that there could be another M3 (production version) in Geneva, but we have no pictures imo. We have seen two different rims on a M3 that's covered and we've seen an irritated FTM system (the 19'' production wheels will be 265/35 rear, the Concept rims have 265/30). That makes sense in the way I said, but feel free not to follow this oppinion.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #41
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I do respect what Scott says and everything but didnt he admit he lied to throw us off?
I don't feel like searching for that thread but I know swamp and southlight remembers...
Oh, yeah: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...707#post750707

Quote:
A BMW official said in an interview: "We can tell you more in a couple of weeks."

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #42
verman
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Quote:
Oh, yeah: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...707#post750707

A BMW official said in an interview: "We can tell you more in a couple of weeks."

Best regards, south

That might explain why the winding road article says they will know about the engine on the 22nd.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #43
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

No matter what, always a tease

Sure it was great to see the beast, but all it does is leave us hungry for more facts. BMW is probably doing this totally by design. They sure did a good job of hiding the car until the official launch. I sure would like to get some real specifications but we all know that game as well - it will likely be under rated just like 335i and M5. We won't know much until it gets a thorough magazine test. Luckily I remember it being said somewhere that the exact car we have seen will be driven by the press fairly soon. Didn't someone else recall that as well?

Right now my biggest concern is the availability of SMG or DSG. I just won't buy it with a 6MT.
Appreciate 0