BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #111
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Let's face it. Aside from maybe 1 out of every 15 MT drivers on this entire forum, you guys can't properly drive a manual transmission to even give yourself an edge over a real slushbox steptronic.
DCT > 6MT in every way.
And all this talk about heel-toe. please, heel-toe shifting merely allows you to rev match (imperfectly I might add unless you're a professional driver) which DCT does a million times over with perfect execution, further allowing you to focus on more important things like braking, turn-in and exit.

Sorry, I just love throwing wood on the fire.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
It's the same reason I love shooting with my camera in full manual mode 100% of the time. Sure sometimes I miss the perfect shot while adjusting the settings and take more under/over exposed photos than someone who shoots in a auto/semi-auto setting, but I find pleasure in having full control over the camera and it's very rewarding as I get better/faster at it.
Errr, no. In Auto/Program mode, there's no way you'll be able to control DSLR's exposure levels the way one can with manual mode; whereas, no similar analogy exists in 6MT-vs-DCT situation...
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #112
CA5775
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA5775 View Post
1. Will any of the DCT modes provide a forceful upshift approaching the level of, for example, an E60 M5 SMG upshift in one of the more aggressive shift modes?
With tranny in S5 (or S6, for that matter) mode, the shift is has no slip - in cooler weather the tires will chirp in the 1-2 shift.

Cheers
Thanks. Understood. Since it sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about relative to SMG, how would you compare the sort of "kick" the DCT will provide versus SMG? Is it half as harsh? Is it more or less than that?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #113
328i M-Sport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport Sedan

I heard that earlier M3s had problems with DCT "losing" half the gears. Is it still a problem with the new M3s?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #114
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

Simplify the idea a bit

This is one of the best automatic transmissions EVER built. If you don't want it, get the manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #115
Amri215
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
This is one of the best automatic transmissions EVER built. If you don't want it, get the manual.
This statement presumes you have driven every AT ever built..

No one knows what the DCT holds in store..Im sure the SMG guys were saying their trans was the best ever built, up until all the problems yrs later,

The one truth is MT will face less issues..
simplicity=reliabilty.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #116
sagebrushbob
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

On Thursday I took delivery of my 2013 Space Gray Coupe with DCT. I REALLY like it!
Having had SMG and MT M3s in the past, I have to say it's the best transmission I've ever driven. I didn't believe the dealer when he said that the "auto" mode was fun too. He was right. I never drive a car in automatic mode, but this one is really responsive.
Happy guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #117
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushbob View Post
Having had SMG and MT M3s in the past, I have to say it's the best transmission I've ever driven.
For me it's like Transmission 2.0 ... it's a completely new thing. I drive the car totally different from any car I've had and it makes manual transmissions feel antiquated.

There's no doubt that I still like the feel of a manual - there's a satisfaction in rows the gears and practicing heel/toe. For me that'll probably never go away.

But after a few months of driving this transmission I knew i'd never go back ... at least for my main car. Maybe if I get a "fun car" that I drive for old timey sake but ...

Driving a DCT M3 manually, once you get a few months in, is really a completely new car experience.

It's hard for me to see how 99% of drivers - if they drove this for a few months - wouldn't prefer it. Of course there's always the people that lie about what they prefer - they wear fuzzy slippers only when nobody is looking
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #118
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
Agreed. I would never consider a DCT after driving one. Just not for me. Its like driving an automatic S2000. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #119
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I own a 6MT and have extensively driven DCT cars. Both have transmissions have their + and -.

To be honest, transmission choice wasn't even in my top 3 priorities when I was looking for my used car. Actually, I never even drove an MT M3 before I took delivery of mine!

The absolute biggest advantage for me is lack of complexity of the MT. I plan to keep the car for years and years to come. Definitely well past how long the MT will last.

On top of that, how fitting is it that my car will be last NA engine matted to a MT? Went out for a drive after on Friday, and it's such a mind clearing experience.

Having said all this, I will have a DCT car in my garage (think F10 M5 at the end of its life cycle ). I'm just really glad that my M3 is not one of them.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #120
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

A harsh "kick in the pants" upshift may give the illusion of high performance but in reality is about the last thing you should want a transmssiong to do as it will unsettle the car.

An ideal tranmission would shift geats instanly and smoothly and the closer that a transmission can approach that the the better it is,

CA
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #121
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
This statement presumes you have driven every AT ever built..
That's a really smart idea, but not really. Jordan is one of the best basketball players ever and I don't have to watch every game ever played to formulate this opinion.

I made the decision to buy this car before I ever even drove a BMW. I read the reviews of many people and nearly all of them said the same thing. The engine and transmission are awesome.

I have no regrets, but maybe I will change my mind when the warranty runs out and things start breaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #122
Khrishna
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I really prefer the natural feel of a clutch and rowing gears..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #123
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Neither M-DCT nor VW/Audi DSG are automatics.

They are almost identical to a manual transmission, less the whole two clutches thing. The commonly used term to decribe these is "automated manual" which is a perfect term becuase it is a manual and the clutching and lever pulling are automated. Don't forget you will be able to shift purely manually (no shifts except those to prevent stalling) where every shift is ONLY initiated by a paddle or the lever, OR put it in automatic mode which will behave practically like an automatic although lighter, smoother, more efficient, faster, etc.
I agree with this 100% well put!

In the period of just over 1 year I had 3 e92 cars (2011 MT car was slightly used, then a 2012 MT new an finally a 2011 new DCT). You might ask why change from a 2012 to a 2011, well the wife wanted to go from 2 cars to only 1 car, then changed her mind. Not that I care (for about four weeks the discussion was between my m3 or our dd and in the end I won to keep the m3 only change to the DCT since the wife does not touch a MT) so it's all good.

As for the transmission, I like both, only now I like the DCT better not because I am over 70 oh no I simply love the marvel of engineering and the smoothness of shifts as well as the options one has to use the stick, the paddles or leave it to the computer.

BTW ... Some posters here hint to the "elderly" to drive the DCT ... I can only say I drove my share of MT in my life, then let us be hornets, how many times did we shift into the wrong gear or even stall the car ... Let them ask the self that question .... I have a few times and I am not a shamed to admit it.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-12-2012 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Added BTW
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #124
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Well, thats why I had the idea of a meta-analysis.
A meta-analysis would have actually been helpful instead of another one of these threads. Design one, find all the DCT threads, do a proper meta-analysis then report back to us.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #125
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

And long after there is peace in the Middle East, this thread will likely still be going.

11-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #126
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I owned a 6mt and drove a DCT as well, and similar to folks here, the DCT just didn't do it for me. It's without a doubt the DCT is the "better" transmission, but I felt the DCT simply made it too easy and less engaging. There's a certain driving satisfaction and visceral effect that comes from shifting on your own, and just getting that heel-toe just right before a turn, etc.

+1 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #127
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Choose the transmission *you* want. If you want to be more "involved/engaging" (whatever that means) and you think the 6MT will give you that then go for it. The car is full of electronics. If you feel the need to prove you are more of a man, turn DSC off instead of referencing the DCT as an "automatic".

My DCT at the track, think you can do this with a 6MT? Unless your name is Leh Keen, good luck.

P.S. I still row my own gears in my DD and do it better than you.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #128
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
A harsh "kick in the pants" upshift may give the illusion of high performance but in reality is about the last thing you should want a transmssiong to do as it will unsettle the car.

An ideal tranmission would shift geats instanly and smoothly and the closer that a transmission can approach that the the better it is,

CA
Actually DCT does both. In the more aggresive shift modes, you get that "kick" while upshifting. This is the transmission recuperating the inertia of the engine's RPM drop and transforming it in forward thrust. Essentially a power shift. So yes, better performance. If the sensors detect that the car is laterally loaded, DCT will do a butter smooth shift as to not upset the chassis (even in the more aggresive settings). This is only possible with the dual clutches as there is no interuption of power transmitted to the wheels. Impossible to do with a MT .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-13-2012 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #129
G3333
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

DCT, i drove both.. love MT but the DCT was just amazing. its really worth it, you get manual and an auto trans
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #130
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
My DCT at the track, think you can do this with a 6MT? Unless your name is Leh Keen, good luck.
I'm not looking to be a dick or argue, but have to ask what about that lap couldn't be accomplished/matched with a 6MT? (Other than the obvious upshift speed advantage?)

Not familiar with the track but looked like a nice lap, btw.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #131
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
this is not a meta analysis. it is very misleading.
Very interesting (spoken with a German accent like Sargent Schulz in the TV series Starlock 13).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #132
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
F1 technology? Try Audi technology. F1 gearboxes are not dual clutch. SMG shares more with F1 than DCT.
You might have a point here, however, it's just like golf you see the caddy hands you the the next club (provided he/she is a good one). So almost like the DCT the next gear is always selected and waiting ... What a fine piece of engineering.

The fellow without the good caddy selects his own club and as we all know that play the game ... At times the wrong one ... Lets admit it we all done it ... And end up in the sand trap or the woods.

So then like the one with the MT might shift into the wrong gear ... And stall even ... I've done it so have others they just don't like to admit it

Forgive the typos ... Created this on my iPhone

Appreciate 0