BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Vanos problems on the S65 common?

I dropped my car off today at the dealer because the warranty runs out next month, I'm extending the warranty with BMW anyways but the guys insisted in redoing the entire car with fresh fluids, new brakes, window seals, new battery, etc mine just hit 36k. They also agreed that it was a good idea to get the extended warranty just in case. Not so much the maintenance because they already know me and I can take care of all the maintenance myself. Now, they mentioned that the M's are starting to come up with vanos issues. I know this was very common in the E36s and even more on the E46s. Has anyone here had any vanos problems? I'm not too concerned since I'm gonna be under extended warranty but I'm just curious.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Did you mention that you have a AA tune? I can't imagine that being warranty friendly... that could have been a waste of money...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Did you mention that you have a AA tune? I can't imagine that being warranty friendly... that could have been a waste of money...
yes they know that, thanks for the heads up.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

The s65 engine has a lot of new features to help it last longer..IMO its totally overdesigned for street driving..

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10703224...gine-in-detail

Double-VANOS with low-pressure operation
With its extremely short control times, variable double-VANOS camshaft management perfects the cylinder charge cycle, reducing charge losses and improving engine output torque and response, as well as fuel economy and emission management.

Developed especially for the new eight-cylinder, the M double-VANOS now featured on the new engine requires no more than normal engine oil pressure in order to operate at maximum speed. As a function of load and engine speed, this sophisticated unit consistently sets the optimum valve angle synchronised to the ignition timing and injection volume.

Unless you are beating the crap outta of it on the track I say drive it and dont worry
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
yes they know that, thanks for the heads up.
Thats great man. I'm a bit jealous
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
The s65 engine has a lot of new features to help it last longer..IMO its totally overdesigned for street driving..

With its extremely short control times, variable double-VANOS camshaft management perfects the cylinder charge cycle, reducing charge losses and improving engine output torque and response, as well as fuel economy and emission management.

Developed especially for the new eight-cylinder, the M double-VANOS now featured on the new engine requires no more than normal engine oil pressure in order to operate at maximum speed. As a function of load and engine speed, this sophisticated unit consistently sets the optimum valve angle synchronised to the ignition timing and injection volume.

Unless you are beating the crap outta of it on the track I say drive it and dont worry
Nice, Thanks for the link

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:

Does a tune (for example ESS, Evolve, AA) will significantly affect long term reliability? Would appreciate your opinion.

Last edited by GIdriver; 02-20-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Does a tune (for example ESS, Evolve, AA) will significantly affect long term reliability?
I dont think so, mine was done keeping the stock RPM and speed limiters

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I dont think so, mine was done keeping the stock RPM and speed limiters
Thanks. Didn't think so neither.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Does a tune (for example ESS, Evolve, AA) will significantly affect long term reliability? Would appreciate your opinion.
Honestly my knowledge base for tunes on e9x M3s is minimal but I would say no..

There are very modest gains, removal of top speed governor..increased redline. minor remapped throttle or igntion maps
what does the tune maker say?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:

There are very modest gains, removal of top speed governor..increased redline. minor remapped throttle or igntion maps...what does the tune maker say?
I believe most tamper with VANOS. So thats what would make me worry.. if you had a VANOS failure. Easy out for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I am of the opinion that unless you are going balls to wall mods a tune isnt "that" benefical on its own... best to stay stock... most use it primarly for CEL supression when going catless anyways.

Igntion remap would affect VANOS operation I would think.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
I believe most tamper with VANOS. So thats what would make me worry.. if you had a VANOS failure. Easy out for BMW.
Thats when you revert to stock tune.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
most use it primarly for CEL supression when going catless anyways.
That's the reason why I did mine

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:

Well, all that jibber jabber sure does make for nice reading material. But according to Gintani, I think it was.. Sme of the 08's are having Vanos issues.

I guess as time progresses, we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Well, all that jibber jabber sure does make for nice reading material. But according to Gintani, I think it was.. Sme of the 08's are having Vanos issues.

I guess as time progresses, we'll see what happens.
Ofcourse its a press release ...all Im saying its relative to how the car is driven..modded etc
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Ofcourse its a press release ...all Im saying its relative to how the car is driven..modded etc

Eh, it's a combination of that as well as engineering imo..

Just look at the S54, who woulda thought a couple more years out of warranty period bolts would be falling out in the motor causing catastrophic failure?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Eh, it's a combination of that as well as engineering imo..

Just look at the S54, who woulda thought a couple more years out of warranty period bolts would be falling out in the motor causing catastrophic failure?
This and the e46s subframe failures does make you pause and question BMW engineering

and the e9x M3 is no different..e.g. weak points on the M3s use of rubber mounts to mount the rear diff to the rear subframe has sheered bolts and ripped the diff off the subframe...extreme but I know 2 personally who have had it..BOTH case guys were launching the car regularly.

IMO its not engineering but rather striking a balance between somewhat comfortable driveabilty and performance..BMW could easily use solid mounts but then NVH would be increased..its a real balancing act..

Driving the car within its limits will help prolong reliabilty
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I've had VANOS issues, as have a few others. There's a cold start thread in the general section that details the issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:

What about the DCT tranny? My dealer told me the extended warrantee does not cover the DCT. Was I misinformed or is there a reason why they don't extend the warrantee on the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There are very modest gains, removal of top speed governor..increased redline. minor remapped throttle or igntion maps
what does the tune maker say?
Thanks for your opinion. To the best of my knowledge all tuners say it's safe, no surprise there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Haven't heard too many problems with this engine period, outside of those that SC'd and some early 08 models. I think the tech is ignorant of the s65 and this engine is pretty bulletproof, tune or not. As always though, better to be lucky than good