BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Mporium BMW

07-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
2014 F1 technical regulations published

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...d_on_20.07.pdf

Lots of changes coming, some noteworthy ones:

5.1.3 Crankshaft rotational speed must not exceed 15000rpm.

5.18 Starting the engine :
It must be possible for the driver to start the engine at any time when seated normally at the
wheel and without any external assistance.

5.19 Electric mode :
The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane.

9.6.1 The number of forward gear ratios must be 8.

Each competitor must nominate the forward gear ratios (calculated from engine crankshaft to drive shafts) to be employed within their gearbox. These nominations must be declared to the FIA technical delegate at or before the first Event of the Championship. For 2014 only, a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void. Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set and may only be effected by the substitution of change gears.

9.7 Reverse gear :
All cars must be able to be driven in reverse by the driver at any time during the Event.

The restriction on gear ratios seems pointless.
      07-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
FIA seems to be forcing F1 to be more road-car alike.
I was surprised to see self-ignition without external assistance. Taken away the "you-stall you're out!" (even now they've all got anti-stall)

The gear ratio is a bit over-kill, and forcing F1 to become more spec-car. If so, why not use a common transmission (with limited amount of tranny available per season) among all competitors, like they do with the tires and common ECU.
      07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Oooh great find, thanks for sharing this. not that I'll know a THING about what the F these regs mean
      07-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Kind of disappointed by some of those.
      07-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

common transmission would suck. next you have a common engine, then a common chassis, then why not a 500 mile race at indy?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
If that happens, it's game over. Indy sucks balls
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

They are slowly taking away what makes F1 great

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I just made a startling revelation.

The new regulation to run electric only in the pit lane will KILL the atmosphere there during the weekend. You won't hear nearly as many engines reving since once they are going to pull out, itll be silent electric mode.

That is really unfortunate.
      07-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I just made a startling revelation.

The new regulation to run electric only in the pit lane will KILL the atmosphere there during the weekend. You won't hear nearly as many engines reving since once they are going to pull out, itll be silent electric mode.

That is really unfortunate.
The exact same way Prius acts in low speed rolling...
      07-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Enjoy the rest of this season and the next two while you can

Can't we just have one weekend where people are allowed to be loud and pollute a bit? Maybe cut down on a few transatlantic flights a day to offset it.
      07-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Awful news, every last bit of it sux
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
...fortunately, this is a semi-moderately fluid document. I really wish the FIA would stop shitting on the rulebook, and let it evolve over the season.

The 15000RPM limit is frustrating, when several f1 engine suppliers are quoted as saying that they could run their engines over 20k without too much effort.

The 'electric' only running in the pits is a crock of shit.

The starting and reverse rules are largely irrelevant, as the cars are virtually impossible to stall nowadays, and the cars are currently mandated to have reverse.

Personally, I wish they would ban KERS and get rid of DRS.

KERS is designed to be environmentally pleasing to the long-haired hippie-freaks, and in reality, overcycling/charging the batteries renders them useless after a race weekend. Thus, they are thrown away. Disposal of batteries is marginally less environmentally conscious than battery production.

DRS makes the racing have a synthetic feel, and the F-duct was a much more elegant and efficient way to solve the same function.

Now I will rant, based on my decision to rewatch various F1 races from the past two seasons at work today.

Rant:
I am sick and tired of HRT and Virgin. They suck. They're slow. Their drivers are crap. Their cars are shit. They whine and bitch about being the backmarkers but are too incompetent to do anything about it. They are embarrassing to the sport and themselves. They are the modern reincarnation of Arrows (Perennial backmarkers of earlier in the decade). I'm halfway convinced they would be more competitive if they took up Lawnmower racing, or NASCAR, which amount to the same thing.

Get off of the goddamn track if you serve no purpose other than a rolling chicane that impedes the race.

/rant

07-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

agreed, but if they leave, someone else will be there. there are always backmarkers... geez, a few come to mind, obviously minardi, forti, mm super aguri, remember those? there was spyker too, arrows wasn't THAT bad by the way IMO... the 90s were particularly bad for super slow cars
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
agreed, but if they leave, someone else will be there. there are always backmarkers... geez, a few come to mind, obviously minardi, forti, mm super aguri, remember those? there was spyker too, arrows wasn't THAT bad by the way IMO... the 90s were particularly bad for super slow cars
I had forgotten about some of those, because i guess they were fairly forgettable?

In Arrows defense. they weren't the worst of the backmarkers, but they were the most consistently well-funded and were around the longest of the backmarkers...and Jos Verstappen didn't exactly suck either.
      08-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
There might be some revisions in coming years. Bernie just strike a "safety" issue on electric motors in pitlane at all times. Claiming its too quiet and might pose a danger to pit crews and personnel. Having said that, I hate prius in electric motor mode in parking garages, its like trying to run me down silently. Given many prius drivers here in SoCal are oblivious drivers.

Not sure how much Bernie has the say in 2014 technical regulations. These are more FIA technical stuff more than FOM organizers and promoters.

Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone has said Formula One's 2014 engine regulations will be tweaked because a rule that says cars must run on electric engines only in the pit lane would mean "people could be killed".

With the engines being downsized from the current 2.4-litre V8's to a 1.6-litre V6 turbo, there are also a number of other new regulations that have been agreed such as a more powerful KERS unit. As a result, article 5.19 in the preliminary technical regulations states 'The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane.'

Ecclestone, however, said that the danger posed to those working in the pit lane by a lack of engine noise means that article will be removed.

"Formula One is absolutely not the right place to have electric engines," Ecclestone told the Daily Express. "It's like having ballet dancers with sneakers. More comfortable, but it doesn't work... There's no way that it will be electric in the pit lane. People could be killed because they won't hear the cars coming."

Following criticism of the new rules, Ecclestone defended current FIA president Jean Todt, saying it was actually a result of his predecessor Max Mosley's recommendations.

"We can't blame Jean Todt because this was started by Max [Mosley]. It was Max's original idea. His idea is what is being promoted now."
http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/56218.html
      08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Bernie thinking logically for once? I don't believe it.
      08-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
There might be some revisions in coming years. Bernie just strike a "safety" issue on electric motors in pitlane at all times. Claiming its too quiet and might pose a danger to pit crews and personnel. Having said that, I hate prius in electric motor mode in parking garages, its like trying to run me down silently. Given many prius drivers here in SoCal are oblivious drivers.

Not sure how much Bernie has the say in 2014 technical regulations. These are more FIA technical stuff more than FOM organizers and promoters.

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/56218.html
This is good news to me.