BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-25-2018, 05:21 AM   #23
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I wish I had a good answer to this question. I sometimes think I must be crazy for all I spend on a 10 year old car. But when I look around at what is on the market, its hard not to keep this old girl going. Nothing else out there thrills me like this car does. And the way I keep dumping money into it, it does feel like a new car when I put the petal down.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Considering I have a supercharged E92 and am currently swapping an S85 into my E46 M3, among my friends I typically win the "I torched the most money" award.

I've been married for 10 years and don't get questioned. Have 2 kids and all 4 of us pile into either of my M3s and go for backroads cruises, my wife takes the SUV and the kids to follow me to HPDEs, and as I now have a new S4 to daily that she can drive (she doesn't drive manual), she loves it and says she understands more and is happy to get a glimpse into why I love driving cars so much, and thus why so much money gets put into them.

Other people question how much I spend but it's a hobby like anything else. Everyone here gets that, and non-car enthusiasts don't. It's an expensive hobby to be sure, but for those of us who can afford to pay for this stuff in cash while not sacrificing other obligations like kid's college, the house, savings and investments, etc. then I say "why do you care how much I spend?"
      11-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #25
rochoa21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I showed my girl some rims she told me to pick something better even though I told her it would be more money she then replied better do right then.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #26
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
It wouldn't be a big deal at all except I told her this would be a "very reliable BMW unlike the last one"...
I can relate to this because the E70 V8 we got for my wife a few years back was a money pit and she actually handed it over to me and demanded that we get her a different car, which we did. Eventually I talked her into the M3 and X3, and of course the engine blows on her X3 about a year later.

Needless to say that BMW only has one strike left before being banished from our lives forever. We really like the way that they drive, but there's just no reason why the engines and electrical systems have to be so unreliable.

...and it's not that I can't stomach some bills, but of the three BMWs I've owned, two of them have have required over $25k in repairs *each* while being driven less than 45k miles total. That's more than $1/mile in just repairs.
      11-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #27
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
It wouldn't be a big deal at all except I told her this would be a "very reliable BMW unlike the last one"...
I can relate to this because the E70 V8 we got for my wife a few years back was a money pit and she actually handed it over to me and demanded that we get her a different car, which we did. Eventually I talked her into the M3 and X3, and of course the engine blows on her X3 about a year later.

Needless to say that BMW only has one strike left before being banished from our lives forever. We really like the way that they drive, but there's just no reason why the engines and electrical systems have to be so unreliable.

...and it's not that I can't stomach some bills, but of the three BMWs I've owned, two of them have have required over $25k in repairs *each* while being driven less than 45k miles total. That's more than $1/mile in just repairs.
I'm going to try my best to make this one last, doing everything preventative as possible, following the proper procedures etc... and hopefully avoid the massive user-error costs.. from what I have read, these cars should be better than my past non-M cars in reliability if I treat it as it should be treated. But I'm pretty sure, even if mine blew up tomorrow, I'd still get another one.. I love this thing too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #28
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
My lovely girlfriend came into the bedroom this morning with a cup of hot coffee and a yellow paper in hand, the bill of just over $1300 for a set of Michelin PSS.

The question came. Like Thor's hammer smashing down upon fine china, her jaw dropped, eyebrows raised, and arms folded. She asked the dreadful question, "why do you spend so much on your car?"

I point to the copious amount of Chanel makeup and "rose petal face creams" in the adjacent bathroom, and her arms fold a bit tighter.

I told her, "well darling, I could explain in detail the benefit of a set of PSS, with the superior lateral G's and sidewall strength, or I could show you."

So we proceed down to the garage where her VW Tiguan sits close to my E92 and I hand her the key's. I have yet to let her drive it. She gets in, and we start in D2. I guide her towards the nearest twisty's, and tell her to press the M button. Now armed and ready, she's off. Initially she's cautious. Familiarizing herself with the paddles and shifting at around 3500 rpm. She seems unimpressed. As she gets more comfortable with the car, she starts to open it up. Now using the paddles quite well and holding gears to near redline, this massive grin lights up upon her face. She carves the road, hugging every corner and flooring it through the straights. After nearly two hours and a half tank of gas, she doesn't want to go home.

Finally we proceed back to the house and she asks how she can make her Tiguan "feel like that". While I explain that's quite the tall order, she settles for an APR chip tune and intake for her 2.0t which she bought on her dime. I could not have loved her any more than this moment.

These M cars truly are something special, so special in fact that they have the ability to turn an angry girlfriend into a very, very happy one. A feat not much can successfully do.
My wife drives the m3 every now and then. While she agrees that it is "nice to drive" and "special", it hasn't made her a convert so that I can get unlimited parts budget.

But I think she mostly dislike driving the car for she got approached frequently by dudes asking her what she what year is that and what mod has been done etc in grocery parking lot...
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      11-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #29
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

Quote:
My lovely girlfriend came into the bedroom this morning with a cup of hot coffee and a yellow paper in hand, the bill of just over $1300 for a set of Michelin PSS.

The question came. Like Thor's hammer smashing down upon fine china, her jaw dropped, eyebrows raised, and arms folded. She asked the dreadful question, "why do you spend so much on your car?"

I point to the copious amount of Chanel makeup and "rose petal face creams" in the adjacent bathroom, and her arms fold a bit tighter.

I told her, "well darling, I could explain in detail the benefit of a set of PSS, with the superior lateral G's and sidewall strength, or I could show you."

So we proceed down to the garage where her VW Tiguan sits close to my E92 and I hand her the key's. I have yet to let her drive it. She gets in, and we start in D2. I guide her towards the nearest twisty's, and tell her to press the M button. Now armed and ready, she's off. Initially she's cautious. Familiarizing herself with the paddles and shifting at around 3500 rpm. She seems unimpressed. As she gets more comfortable with the car, she starts to open it up. Now using the paddles quite well and holding gears to near redline, this massive grin lights up upon her face. She carves the road, hugging every corner and flooring it through the straights. After nearly two hours and a half tank of gas, she doesn't want to go home.

Finally we proceed back to the house and she asks how she can make her Tiguan "feel like that". While I explain that's quite the tall order, she settles for an APR chip tune and intake for her 2.0t which she bought on her dime. I could not have loved her any more than this moment.

These M cars truly are something special, so special in fact that they have the ability to turn an angry girlfriend into a very, very happy one. A feat not much can successfully do.
The M3 is actually not my most expensive hobby, but my girlfriend who is also a high-earning professional and spends all her money on her own shit is usually pretty forgiving about my hobbies since I put my requisite 20% of my paychecks into savings, after which I am free to go hog wild. This system keeps both of us out of each others' hair.

However, she did have a heart attack when I told her I spent almost $300 on gas over the last 5 days (drove from SF to LA round trip and then also spent the entire time driving around LA with my friend who has an R8 and my friend who has an F10 M5).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #30
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
The M3 is actually not my most expensive hobby, but my girlfriend who is also a high-earning professional and spends all her money on her own shit is usually pretty forgiving about my hobbies since I put my requisite 20% of my paychecks into savings, after which I am free to go hog wild. This system keeps both of us out of each others' hair.

However, she did have a heart attack when I told her I spent almost $300 on gas over the last 5 days (drove from SF to LA round trip and then also spent the entire time driving around LA with my friend who has an R8 and my friend who has an F10 M5).
Do tell about this more expensive hobby of yours, do you collect helicopters?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #31
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do tell about this more expensive hobby of yours, do you collect helicopters?

I wish!

I am a fairly prolific (in a nonprofessional sense) regular photographer and astrophotographer, and also collect watches. If you total all my photography equipment (including the telescopes and astronomical cameras), it would probably come in near the M3, but the watches really are the killer. Flipping them frequently keeps the net cost more reasonable, though.

I guess you have to ask yourself if your car hobby includes the KBB of the car or really just the ownership/mod/track day/etc. costs. If it's just the latter, I don't spend a TON on my M3, but if you amortize the cost of the car in there, it's certainly a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #32
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I wish!

I am a fairly prolific (in a nonprofessional sense) regular photographer and astrophotographer, and also collect watches. If you total all my photography equipment (including the telescopes and astronomical cameras), it would probably come in near the M3, but the watches really are the killer. Flipping them frequently keeps the net cost more reasonable, though.

I guess you have to ask yourself if your car hobby includes the KBB of the car or really just the ownership/mod/track day/etc. costs. If it's just the latter, I don't spend a TON on my M3, but if you amortize the cost of the car in there, it's certainly a lot.
I am a big watch guy as well. It started slow with an inherited Rolex from my grandfather and continued to a decent collection. I used to flip for a profit but would often find myself keeping pieces I bought with the intent to flip.

I have been eyeing two pieces recently: the Tiffany and Co Submariner, and the Panerai Radiomir Firenze.

Not sure if the same tactic will apply to justifying the price tag on those watches however. "here darling, try this on" just doesn't have the same effect.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #33
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_cars View Post
Considering I have a supercharged E92 and am currently swapping an S85 into my E46 M3, among my friends I typically win the "I torched the most money" award.

I've been married for 10 years and don't get questioned. Have 2 kids and all 4 of us pile into either of my M3s and go for backroads cruises, my wife takes the SUV and the kids to follow me to HPDEs, and as I now have a new S4 to daily that she can drive (she doesn't drive manual), she loves it and says she understands more and is happy to get a glimpse into why I love driving cars so much, and thus why so much money gets put into them.

Other people question how much I spend but it's a hobby like anything else. Everyone here gets that, and non-car enthusiasts don't. It's an expensive hobby to be sure, but for those of us who can afford to pay for this stuff in cash while not sacrificing other obligations like kid's college, the house, savings and investments, etc. then I say "why do you care how much I spend?"
I couldn't agree more. We work hard. And if after all expenses, we can comfortably support our hobby, there's all the reason needed.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #34
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am a big watch guy as well. It started slow with an inherited Rolex from my grandfather and continued to a decent collection. I used to flip for a profit but would often find myself keeping pieces I bought with the intent to flip.

I have been eyeing two pieces recently: the Tiffany and Co Submariner, and the Panerai Radiomir Firenze.

Not sure if the same tactic will apply to justifying the price tag on those watches however. "here darling, try this on" just doesn't have the same effect.
You say that, and I labored to change that forEVER. She always thought watches were stupid and a waste of money.

Then my dumb ass walked into Shreve one day to pick up a Piaget, and she tries on an A. Lange MOP Saxonia, stares at it for about 30 minutes straight silently, and then says, "You know, I think I understand it. This is the most beautiful watch I've ever seen."

So of course, of basically anything she could have picked other than a goddamn Patek or Vach, she picked a Lange. Gotta find the budget for that somewhere At least she doesn't have bad taste?

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. We work hard. And if after all expenses, we can comfortably support our hobby, there's all the reason needed.
I sure as f*ck don't sit in the office for 14 hours a day getting yelled at by and yelling at other lawyers so I can drive a '92 Accord home and eat ramen, that's for sure.

Some of my favorite nights are me leaving the office at 1am in the M3 and taking the longest way home possible at the highest speed possible.
Appreciate 2
MrGatsby348.00
pcohen15379.50
      11-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #35
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You say that, and I labored to change that forEVER. She always thought watches were stupid and a waste of money.

Then my dumb ass walked into Shreve one day to pick up a Piaget, and she tries on an A. Lange MOP Saxonia, stares at it for about 30 minutes straight silently, and then says, "You know, I think I understand it. This is the most beautiful watch I've ever seen."

So of course, of basically anything she could have picked other than a goddamn Patek or Vach, she picked a Lange. Gotta find the budget for that somewhere At least she doesn't have bad taste?

I sure as f*ck don't sit in the office for 14 hours a day getting yelled at by and yelling at other lawyers so I can drive a '92 Accord home and eat ramen, that's for sure.

Some of my favorite nights are me leaving the office at 1am in the M3 and taking the longest way home possible at the highest speed possible.
A few months ago my girls father offered to buy her a watch of her choice for her birthday. She is very fortunate to come from a wealthy family, and had her heart set on a Rolex. After much deliberation I guided her towards a Patek. At a premium to the Rolex, I wasn't sure if her father would oblige.

Well, he did. She now owns a watch nicer than my collection combined.

To this day she doesn't quite understand the magnitude of what she has.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #36
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A few months ago my girls father offered to buy her a watch of her choice for her birthday. She is very fortunate to come from a wealthy family, and had her heart set on a Rolex. After much deliberation I guided her towards a Patek. At a premium to the Rolex, I wasn't sure if her father would oblige.

Well, he did. She now owns a watch nicer than my collection combined.

To this day, she doesn't quite understand the magnitude of what she has.
Christ.

My coworker got married and her dad gave him a meticulously, YEARLY SERVICED hobnail bezel Calatrava from the late 70s that looks untouched.

Of course, he said "He told me this apparently is a pretty nice watch" and I almost threw him out the window (after removing the Calatrava) and then, more seriously, warned him to generally be careful about where he wears that.

Your girl's dad seems like a very cool guy. What kind of PP? Nautilus? Calatrava? I'm very intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #37
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Christ.

My coworker got married and her dad gave him a meticulously, YEARLY SERVICED hobnail bezel Calatrava from the late 70s that looks untouched.

Of course, he said "He told me this apparently is a pretty nice watch" and I almost threw him out the window (after removing the Calatrava) and then, more seriously, warned him to generally be careful about where he wears that.

Your girl's dad seems like a very cool guy. What kind of PP? Nautilus? Calatrava? I'm very intrigued.
Her father is a very cool guy. Grew up on a rural farm in South Africa and worked his way up to CEO at a global cyber security firm. Very down to earth.

She decided on the Twenty Four Reference 4910 in white gold. It's subtle at first glance, yet very opulent upon further look. She wears it every day whether going to get groceries or dinner on Friday night.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #38
Ae trole
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jerez m3

Pics of the girlfriend. For better evaluation of the situation.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      11-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #39
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ae trole View Post
Pics of the girlfriend. For better evaluation of the situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #40
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

This!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #41
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:

Marry her
Appreciate 1
MrGatsby348.00
      11-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #42
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

The best investment ever was a $500 Cdn Dyson Supersonic hair dryer. Now the wife understands superior engineering, and is reminded everyday. Also, I have leverage for almost any M related purchase. "Really ... this coming from the girl with a $500 hair dryer" LOL!

I tried the same technique earlier with a Dyson Stick vacuum, but for some reason I am the only one who uses that fine bit of technology!

I guess you have to make it personal as not many woman get excited about vacuums in the same way as we do about our cars.

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #43
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
The best investment ever was a $500 Cdn Dyson Supersonic hair dryer. Now the wife understands superior engineering, and is reminded everyday. Also, I have leverage for almost any M related purchase. "Really ... this coming from the girl with a $500 hair dryer" LOL!

I tried the same technique earlier with a Dyson Stick vacuum, but for some reason I am the only one who uses that fine bit of technology!

I guess you have to make it personal as not many woman get excited about vacuums in the same way as we do about our cars.
Oh, I am well versed in all aspects Dyson! She has been pining over that hair dryer for quite some time. Might have to get it for x-mas, as well as a carbon fiber interior for me. superior engineering, right?
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #44
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Correct ... may the force be with you!

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0