BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

M3 vs mp4-12c

I understand these cars are in whole different categories due to the McLaren msrp being 3x as much. I currently own an e92 with a 625 kit and am thinking about upgrading to the 12c in the spring/summer 2019. I have found a couple not too far away for around 100k with under 20k miles. The prices don't seem to be moving beyond there so I feel it's a good time to buy one. I have driven a couple on the street and one on the track and love how they drive. Just more trying to convince myself it's worth all the extra $ over my current car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Do not buy without warranty $$$ if when she breaks. Very low production and high repair cost. If you have that covered your good to go.

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 11-18-2018 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Mclarens tend to depreciate like hell when they are not serviced at dealership..and that service cost a shit ton. Parts are also very expensive, but I understand where you are coming from as I am eyeing on 360 MT myself...
      11-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Never been in the position to buy an exotic, but i'd say its a lot to do with emotion. If you love the way it looks, drives, and sounds go for it. Its always going to be difficult to justify looking purely at the numbers

Alternative exotics in the $100k range I'd look at an F430 (although nice ones seem to be more like $120k), sounds like you want something faster though. Alternatively an R8 V10 or earlier Gallardo just for that heavenly V10 soundtrack. The MP-4 12C is awesome but given its technological complexity I'd be afraid to run one out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the input thus far. Many have said to get with warranty but I have never purchased an extended warranty because I am a mechanic. I understand there is still a large parts price risk.

Kyrix that's what I figured. I obviously would be doing all my own work. I suppose I shouldn't let resale stop me from buying a dream car though since the intent would be to hold onto the car for a long time.

Montaver it is emotional for sure. I have always loved these cars from a far but after driving some I feel as though I need it in my garage. Those are great comparable cars for sure but yea I am set on the 12c if any exotic. There is another 100+ hp and torque with a simple tune that makes the car an animal. I know someone who went this route.

It's looking so far like I need to be able to stomach high parts prices and potential depreciation. I also need to get an insurance quote but the car will only need full coverage for 6 months due to inclement weather here.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

With a McLaren it's not so much about being a mechanic...

With a car so technologically advanced one can expect there to be problems, on top of that the MP4-12C was the first fully McLaren designed car in almost two decades, so there are bound to be some bugs that are needed to be watched out for when deciding to look into it.

Air bags: Passenger Side Frontal (Recall ID: 17V005000)
This recall effects certain 2012 MP4-12C models that were ever sold in the southern U.S and and Virgin Islands. An inflator was not equipped properly and may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants when deployed which may result in serious inquiry or death.

Visibility: Windshield/Wiper/Washer:Motor (Recall ID: 13V541000)
This recall effects certain 2012-2014 models sold in the southern U.S. The high temperatures and humidity in these regions may cause the wiper motor to jam and stop the windshield wiper from working resulting in compromised visibility.

Electronic Malfunctions
Just like nay advanced car, there are always going to be issues with the electronics inside the vehicle, including the climate control LCD, the responsiveness of the touch screen, and poor reception and GPS signal. However, due to McLaren’s awareness, there are always updates for the IRIS system inside he vehicle, so always make sure the software is up to date.

Door-Opening Mechanism
The small sensor that allows for the doors to open and close is sometimes shorted out in wet conditions not allowing the doors to open at all.

A/C Radiator
Commonly known to fail and only blast the car with hot air rather than cold.

Transmission Leakage
One of the worst problems to ever possibly run into has hit the MP4-12C’s before, not in large numbers though. With only a few incidents reported, it is still something worth adding. The transmissions have known to have seals burst and leak oil, when this happens the whole transmission needs to be replaced and that will run you a pretty penny of $28,000.

Soft Paint
The 2012 models seem to have a weaker paint than the more recent models so be sure to look out for fading or bubbles around curves and corners.

Shock Leakage
Shocks have been known to leak in the MP4-12C, you would be able to tell because the steering would become rigid and jerky or even at times has moments of stillness.

Headlight Condensation
Seeming to be a pretty common issue for any MP4 driven excessively in wet conditions.

From a previous 12C owner...

-A/C panel is dimmed [will need to be replaced so it can show the numbers brighter ]

- A/C heat radiator breaks [ bringing in only hot air into car]

- Oil leaks from transmission [transmission needs to be replaced]

-Coolant leaks drops that turn progressively into puddles. [needs better cap ]

- [the engine clamps would need to be replaced ]

(and here are what happened to my 12c that im not sure everyone else has )

- my doors needed to be tweaked because they were very hard to close! I literally had to slam the doors hard in public while everyone is watching Made me look like a bad owner !

- the touch screen was VERY hard to the touch making it unresponsive so service center replaced it for me.
Appreciate 1
NoHedge67.50
      11-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the detailed post. I have hear of all of those issues as I have spent some time now on mclarenlife forum. Certainly the transmission leak and the stiff steering that is also a shock issue are the big ones.

I am not scared of a car being too advanced. A car is a car. It's not like the mechanics are gods that work at the dealers. They just have the correct tools and service procedures. The only issue I foresee as far as complexity is not having a McLaren factory scan tool to be able to reprogram parts that are replaced, reset monitors etc. I am not sure the latest even snap on 20k$ scanner supports that car, as I have access to use one.

Have you owned one? If so how would you summarize ownership?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Get a warranty. The sheer costs of the common wear and tear parts (ie. the 12C's shocks, which are known to be a common and expensive fix) will make it worth while. A $5k-$7k comprehensive warranty on this car isn't all that when spending $100k+...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

This should be fun to watch, over $150k in repairs... but the warranty is only $4k per year...

Appreciate 0