BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #683
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1372
Rep
3,168
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
After I removed the CarPlay MMI and returned it to stock form this afternoon, normal functionality is back. Most of codes for the CAN system are gone but there are 15-20 that keep coming back after I clear them, related to the CAN network. This is down from almost 70 this morning. No symptoms aside from the stored codes though so hopefully they will clear out over the next couple days. Battery is from mid-2019 and reads 12.7v at the posts so I donít think thatís a problem. Connectors in the MMI looked fine when I took it back apart (Iíd used the quad lock and no iDrive connector) - no smoking gun, at least. Iím wondering if my box just failed.
Do you have a copy of ISTA available to run a more detailed diagnostic? If you are still getting that many codes after clearing them and the Carsara is disconnected it makes me think possibly something else is having issues and it's propagating across. With the box removed you shouldn't be seeing errors especially if you cleared the codes.

May be worth digging on the forums or posting the codes you're still getting to see if it's of any help narrowing down why they're still appearing.

I had my iDrive controller fail randomly in all of this (tied to a battery change), so it is possible some other part of the system is having issues or potentially failed from a shock during the installation.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 335i
Previous: '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #684
Boston4
Private First Class
40
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Do you have a copy of ISTA available to run a more detailed diagnostic? If you are still getting that many codes after clearing them and the Carsara is disconnected it makes me think possibly something else is having issues and it's propagating across. With the box removed you shouldn't be seeing errors especially if you cleared the codes.

May be worth digging on the forums or posting the codes you're still getting to see if it's of any help narrowing down why they're still appearing.

I had my iDrive controller fail randomly in all of this (tied to a battery change), so it is possible some other part of the system is having issues or potentially failed from a shock during the installation.
I don't have ISTA - haven't needed it until now. The only thing that's still plugged in is the piggyback onto the factory mic, but I can't imagine that would have this effect, especially since the mic works when I connect my phone to the normal head unit bluetooth.

Here's the list:

00 Safety and information module (SIM)
C908: K-CAN COMMUNICATION: WIRED OPERATION

01 Safety and information module
C944: Bus line error - General

20 Tyre pressure control
D104: Error CAN single-wire operation

27 Comfort access
D2C4: K_CAN_Line_Failure

40 Car access system
D904: K_CAN_Leitungsfehler

41 Antitheft alarm system
D944: K-Can Physical error

56 Roof function centre
DE84: CAN bus CAN LOW error 0xDE84

56 Rain/driving lights sensor
DE84: CAN bus CAN LOW error 0xDE84

60 Instrument panel
E104: CAN LOW ERROR

61 Flexible bus interface
E147: CAN bus: short circuit

61 Combox emergency call
E147: CAN bus: short circuit

63 Headunit/radio
E1C4: K-CAN line fault

64 Park distance control
E204: Error location: CAN low, physical bus error

67 Controller
E2C4: Bus line fault CAN

6D Seat module, driver, rear
E444: K-CAN: Bus line fault

72 Basic body module
E584: Bus line fault K-CAN

78 Heating/air-conditioning control
E704: CAN-BUS. Physical bus error
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #685
Boston4
Private First Class
40
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

I'm curious to see if these will go away because htey don't appear to have any symptoms - the car starts and drives normally, the headunit works, comfort access works, PDC works, climate control works, wipers work, no lights on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:53 PM   #686
blk33
Enlisted Member
blk33's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Geelong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
I'm curious to see if these will go away because htey don't appear to have any symptoms - the car starts and drives normally, the headunit works, comfort access works, PDC works, climate control works, wipers work, no lights on the dash.
Hi,
I'm not sure which version of Carsara you have.
Mine was the updated Carsara without the Quadlock connector.
Make sure when you return everything back to normal you have ALL the Carsara cables disconnected. The updated Carsara taps into the power and canbus at the iDrive connector.
See post #536 for details of the connector and cables. My standard cable interfered with canbus before I did a cut and snip.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #687
Boston4
Private First Class
40
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk33 View Post
Hi,
I'm not sure which version of Carsara you have.
Mine was the updated Carsara without the Quadlock connector.
Make sure when you return everything back to normal you have ALL the Carsara cables disconnected. The updated Carsara taps into the power and canbus at the iDrive connector.
See post #536 for details of the connector and cables. My standard cable interfered with canbus before I did a cut and snip.
Mine's the original version - I believe it hits the canbus from the quadlock. Only thing that's still plugged in is the mic piggyback. I don't think this would be causing the issue, especially since hte mic works when I connect my phone to the factory bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #688
2k328ci
Private
Canada
6
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 M-DCT / 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Question

Hi all,

I have recently gotten a Wireless Carplay installed onto my e92 M3 with CIC and for the most part it works great and very responsive while looking completely OEM. I do however have a problem with the volume level of Siri or Navigation instructions vs. music. Siri or Nav instructions are much quieter than the music and couldn't figure out how to bring those levels up to match the music. When I turn up the volume while Siri speaks, it turns up the volume for everything so when the music returns, it is very loud. I've tried the volume controls inside the Carplay box interface as well as the CIC AUX volume setting and it just changes the volume globally. Has anyone encountered this problem at all?

(I have the Eztronics branded version but they are all similar)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #689
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1372
Rep
3,168
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k328ci View Post
Hi all,

I have recently gotten a Wireless Carplay installed onto my e92 M3 with CIC and for the most part it works great and very responsive while looking completely OEM. I do however have a problem with the volume level of Siri or Navigation instructions vs. music. Siri or Nav instructions are much quieter than the music and couldn't figure out how to bring those levels up to match the music. When I turn up the volume while Siri speaks, it turns up the volume for everything so when the music returns, it is very loud. I've tried the volume controls inside the Carplay box interface as well as the CIC AUX volume setting and it just changes the volume globally. Has anyone encountered this problem at all?

(I have the Eztronics branded version but they are all similar)
The different units tend to have slightly different firmware. In the Carsara unit there is a volume setting for "Alter Volume" which controls the voice over pop ins.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 335i
Previous: '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #690
Boston4
Private First Class
40
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Update here -

The issue was diagnosed as a faulty RDC control module (tire pressure monitoring system), which was taking down the CAN bus and waking the car, causing 70+ errors across the modules and killing the battery. I don’t think it’s really possible to determine which component caused the failure - maybe the Carsara failed and affected the rest of the system, or maybe the RDC module failed and affected the Carsara. $600 to replace the failed module.

I suspect it was the former, since the screen didn’t work at all until the box was removed, and removing it caused the CAN errors across the rest of the system to change from the network being entirely unreachable to being intermittently unavailable. But who knows. Personally I’ll opt not to reinstall a system like this - my car has Bluetooth and a combox so I’ll go back to using a phone mount for navigation. Seems like I’m in the minority of people who have had issues of this nature so I’m guessing I just got unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #691
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1372
Rep
3,168
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
Update here -

The issue was diagnosed as a faulty RDC control module (tire pressure monitoring system), which was taking down the CAN bus and waking the car, causing 70+ errors across the modules and killing the battery. I don't think it's really possible to determine which component caused the failure - maybe the Carsara failed and affected the rest of the system, or maybe the RDC module failed and affected the Carsara. $600 to replace the failed module.

I suspect it was the former, since the screen didn't work at all until the box was removed, and removing it caused the CAN errors across the rest of the system to change from the network being entirely unreachable to being intermittently unavailable. But who knows. Personally I'll opt not to reinstall a system like this - my car has Bluetooth and a combox so I'll go back to using a phone mount for navigation. Seems like I'm in the minority of people who have had issues of this nature so I'm guessing I just got unlucky.
Hard to say. Modules in this car are known to just crap the bed. Lots of folks in other threads have reported similar issues with RDC randomly dying. The fact that the display didn't work could be related or caused by the module, but it could also just be based on the Carsara not having the same logic for error handling that other OEM modules might have.

Glad you were at least able to sort it out.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 335i
Previous: '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:34 AM   #692
2k328ci
Private
Canada
6
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 M-DCT / 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The different units tend to have slightly different firmware. In the Carsara unit there is a volume setting for "Alter Volume" which controls the voice over pop ins.
Thanks, there's actually a Navi volume setting in the audio settings but changing that didn't seem to affect anything. I'm starting to wonder if its anything I have set on my iPhone volume settings while Siri or Nav is active. Haven driven it in a week or so due to snow but would try it next. After reading through 30+ pages of this thread now I see that my problem hasn't cropped up before.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:50 PM   #693
Tigamilla
Private
22
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: UK, London

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone in here have the mic splitter than comes with the Carsara box that they don't need? Please PM me and I'll happily pay for it! - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:15 AM   #694
Brasilcat
Private First Class
Brasilcat's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E93
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Downey, Cerritos, HB, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Does anyone know what is the latest recommend unit to purchase? CARSARA, AIOCOAI or some other brand? I attempted to follow the original link and it's BO.
I'm looking to have the new screen unit with touch screen and CARplay and Android.
Most units on AliExpress say they are not wireless. Am i looking for the wrong units or in the wrong place?

Great thread btw!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #695
bugg
Enlisted Member
16
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 / '95 993
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Anybody know if we're able to push firmware updates to the Carsara box? My unit has recently had Google Maps intermittently crash during use. Unsure if it's a Carsara issue or just an older phone (Pixel 3) issue. The box has otherwise been flawless other than some slight input lag. Would like to install a touchscreen unit sometime in the future, but none of them have seemed like the correct solution yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #696
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1372
Rep
3,168
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
Anybody know if we're able to push firmware updates to the Carsara box? My unit has recently had Google Maps intermittently crash during use. Unsure if it's a Carsara issue or just an older phone (Pixel 3) issue. The box has otherwise been flawless other than some slight input lag. Would like to install a touchscreen unit sometime in the future, but none of them have seemed like the correct solution yet.
For AA apps are all driven from your phone, if you experience crashing see if restarting your phone helps. Android will kill applications on it's own due to high memory usage, so if your phone is older and Google maps is trying to use too much RAM it might just kill it on it's own.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 335i
Previous: '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #697
mrvedit
Private First Class
36
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
Anybody know if we're able to push firmware updates to the Carsara box? My unit has recently had Google Maps intermittently crash during use. Unsure if it's a Carsara issue or just an older phone (Pixel 3) issue. The box has otherwise been flawless other than some slight input lag. Would like to install a touchscreen unit sometime in the future, but none of them have seemed like the correct solution yet.
Perhaps not your issue with an older phone, but Apple iOS 15.1 causes Google Maps and Waze to randomly lockup. The latest iOS 15.2.1 supposedly fixes this, but I find it is still not perfect.
For more information, check out these links:
https://www.iphonetricks.org/ios-15-...-and-messages/
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...es-179096.html
__________________
2017 M3 DTC * 2013 M3 Manual
2017 330i (Winter beater)
1981 Camaro Z28 - 427 LS3 - 10.94 @126mph
2006 Corvette (streetable track car)
1986 535i "24 Hours of Lemons" also streetable
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #698
KevinTorresm3
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2011 Bmw E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Hey,

Thanks for the info, Getting ready to do mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #699
B8bydesign
Major
B8bydesign's Avatar
United_States
410
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: '11 BMW M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Been running my Carsara for a few months now and it's been great, only issue I'm having is I don't seen to have sound when using Waze or Google Maps. Is there a setting I might need to tweak to get sound from those apps?
__________________
New: '11.5 e90 M3 | DCT | Space Gray/Novillo | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | ESS 625 | BPM | M Performance | iPE | BC Racing | BPM | Volk | Coby | Recaro
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #700
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1372
Rep
3,168
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post
Been running my Carsara for a few months now and it's been great, only issue I'm having is I don't seen to have sound when using Waze or Google Maps. Is there a setting I might need to tweak to get sound from those apps?
The carsara should control that with the alter volume setting. If your Alter Volume isn't turned down, then double check the apps or phone volume aren't turned down or muted.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 335i
Previous: '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #701
bugg
Enlisted Member
16
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 / '95 993
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
For AA apps are all driven from your phone, if you experience crashing see if restarting your phone helps. Android will kill applications on it's own due to high memory usage, so if your phone is older and Google maps is trying to use too much RAM it might just kill it on it's own.
Very possible. I'm running a Pixel 3 (already low on RAM when it was new) and it's officially reached end of life now. Wireless AA has always been a huge battery drain on my phone as well (faster than the Induktiv wireless charger can charge). I did message Carsara on Aliexpress and got a firmware update from them. I've been running Waze with no crashes, but will have to try Google Maps again once my car's rod bearings are done.

My box was on SDK 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0

Link for Firmware from Carsara here

Their quoted instructions:
Quote:
System update steps
-Copy all the files to root directory of USB flash sticker
-Connect the USB flash sticker to USB cable of the box
-Enter the box system menu, click Setup menu
-Click software update, input code 2863 to enter
-Click system update, it pops to ask whether to update, click “√” to update
-Wait about 3 minutes for the update to finish, do not power off during update
-When update complete, the screen will return to original menu
Note - I don't know if these steps will work for everyone, or if they're specific to my firmware version. Best practice would be to message Carsara and check.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #702
vilord
Major
353
Rep
1,173
Posts

Drives: Too many
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
I've been running Waze with no crashes, but will have to try Google Maps again once my car's rod bearings are done.
Have you noticed overall positives or negatives from the new firmware? I also got the firmware update files from carsara via aliexpress, but I don't have the usb cable hooked up to my box at the moment so I haven't tried loading it yet.

Biggest complaints before were:
- occasionally it would just randomly dump me out of android auto
- occasionally android auto doesn't "trigger", so it connects to bluetooth but doesn't do anything
- every time i start up, i have to go manually click the 'connect android auto' popup on the MMI... I don't have to do this with carplay, it just connects. (this is unrelated to the android setting on the phone, it's specific to the mmi and really irritating because if i don't click it fast enough, the popup vanishes and i have to go through a rigamarole of disconnecting/reconnecting/resetting/etc)
__________________
Jesse
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 04:56 PM   #703
cyman83
Lieutenant
United_States
24
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
Very possible. I'm running a Pixel 3 (already low on RAM when it was new) and it's officially reached end of life now. Wireless AA has always been a huge battery drain on my phone as well (faster than the Induktiv wireless charger can charge). I did message Carsara on Aliexpress and got a firmware update from them. I've been running Waze with no crashes, but will have to try Google Maps again once my car's rod bearings are done.

My box was on SDK 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0

Link for Firmware from Carsara here

Their quoted instructions:


Note - I don't know if these steps will work for everyone, or if they're specific to my firmware version. Best practice would be to message Carsara and check.
do you have updated link to the firmware? the link you posted seems to have expired.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 10:38 PM   #704
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
120
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: '11.5 e90 IB M3
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have a link to the latest Carsara unit on AliExpress?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST