BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #111
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robario12 View Post
Reviving this thread, as I am about to install an OEM Performance Spoiler in the next week or two.

I ordered the betalink.

One question is that I was really surprised when the spoiler arrived that it was sooo light. Additionally, the back edge of the spoiler (more towards the rear) has a little edge to add the adhesive and glue down, but the front edge (where there is a more severe angle) has a minimal edge/face to apple the adhesive.

Is this normal? Is there enough of an adhesion surface to hold this thing? I imagine there is since many people have installed successfully, but did anyone else have this concern?

Thanks all
Yes. Even if you see a small surface area in the front of the spoiler, just place beta link all around the spoiler but slightly. Not too much as then removing the mess is a mess. Hehehe.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #112
Robario12
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 430i GC/E92 M3/E46 M3

Thanks Alex!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #113
Robario12
Private
Rep

Hey guys - some additional thoughts and questions after installing this morning:

Went with betalink for security.

As people have mentioned, it is a goopy, tary mess. #1 suggestion is to get a syringe. The applicator is a complete joke, and the cookie dough tube fell out of the applicator like 5 times. Ended up just using my finger to apply.

Painters tape definitely helps the clean up and the solvent is a godsend.

Heres the questions:

The spoiler is so light and hollow that when pressing it to see it it adhered, it flexes, so i cant tell if it is solid. Also, I didnt get goop coming out from every surface when i pressed down. Is this ok? Im sure there is enough to hold it down, but Im wondering if I shouldve put more goop down to make a full seal around the part.

Lastly, as people have mentioned, its tough to clean in the void in the back of the spoiler.

Thanks everyone. Will post pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #114
Robario12
Private
Rep

Ok fellas - 36 hour update:

The thing is very, very solid...especially at the edges, where i was most concerned.

I will remove the remaining tape in the morning and clean it up a bit more.

One concern is that there appears to be about a one inch section on the front portion of the lip, where the betalink did not push out and it looks like theres a tiny gap there, ie not sealed, where as the rest of the perimeter is completely sealed.

I highly doubt the thing is going to go anywhere, but classic BMW OCD... Im pissed that theres a tiny section that isnt sealed.

Any thoughts? should i buy more betalink and try to seal that portion? Should I calm my OCD?

Any opinions would be very helpful here.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #115
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Here is a question:

If you use he beta link, does it give you some wiggle so you can slide it into the correct position within a few minutes after plopping the spoiler down?

Also: what size syringe to get? 10cc? 20? 50? I work at the hospital so I can get whatever. Or a tumi syringe maybe?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #116
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/BLK

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just received mine! Can't wait to install!

I knew it was hollow but was surprised it isn't wnclosed, and just open on the bottom.

Reminds me of the BMW Performance strut bar I had on my E46. Artwork!

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #117
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just stuck mine on tonight, applied the betalink with a gloved finger and smeared a nice thin coat all the way to the edge. Very little mess to clean up around edges when pressed down.
Hopefully will look good in 20hrs or so when I take the tape off "lots of tape lol"

Perfection!

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc

Last edited by squartus; 03-17-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #118
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/BLK

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I thought I hadn't applied enough Betalink, used a syringe and applied along the whole edge and extra in the corners. But after 12 hours it seems solid. Still haven't removed all the tape yet, figured I'd let it sit 24 hours.
Attached Images

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #119
Ben Ingraham
On-Ramp Speedway Champion
Rep
Drives: 2009 SS E90 M3

M Performance CF Spoiler install

I had looked for and purchased a spoiler from forum member OKUSA. E90 spoilers are hard to find BTW. The price was right and the spoiler had been taped on prior which was a plus. I couldn't imagine trying to take off Betalink from a small piece of carbon fiber. So upon its delivery I started resourcing all of the required cleaning items.

1. Goo Gone
2. Mineral Spirits
3. 3M rubber wheel (a must have to take the 3m tape off of the trunk from the small factory spoiler)
4. 3M painters tape.

After finding all of the items I started into peeling off the 3M adhesive tape from the Perf. CF Spoiler. This turned out to be a little easier than I thought. The trick is to let the Goo Gone soak for at least 5 min. After letting the tape soak I started rubbing it with a terry cloth and warm soap and water. Dawn dish soap was the soap I used. There will be a lot of 'rubber' that comes off in little pieces, so make sure you're in a place that can be cleaned up easily.

After the spoiler was cleaned off with no residue, I started on the trunk that had the smaller factory spoiler. This piece was also held on with 3M tape and it was easy to work too. For the spoiler removal I taped around the factory spoiler and slid the tape under the edges as much as I could. I was able to get under it all the way around. Next I used a plastic bondo/putty knife to separate the spoiler from the trunk. The effort needed to slide the knife wasn't that much. The thing to consider was making sure you weren't peeling the tape off as you slid the knife.

This left the trunk with a good amount of adhesive still attached and I went to work on it the same way as I did the spoiler. The only difference was letting the Goo Gone sit for 10 min so that I took as much adhesive off as I could. The idea was to use the 3M rubber wheel to get the really stuck on adhesive.

The 3M Rubber Wheel is an awesome tool to get off residue. The thing with the wheel however is that it builds heat. So as your using your high speed drill a moderate amount of force is required to basically 'erase' the residue remaining. If you stay in one place too long as your 'erasing' the residue the paint will start to burn. I had removed emblems from past cars (Evo's,Civic's) when I was younger and the rubber wheel is a time saver.

Next I started in with getting the required items for attaching the CF Spoiler.

1. Betalink K1 w/ cleaner
2. Duct tape
3. More Painters tape.
4. Exacto Knife.
5. Dry Erase Marker

So for the Betalink I went to my dealership here. One of the techs there did me a solid and supplied me with a tube. BTW if you're ever in the Colorado Springs area and you're having issues with your M go see Brian and Winslow BMW.

I washed the car throughly after the 3M rubber wheel and then took a rag with mineral spirits to the spoiler and the trunk to remove any remaining contaminants. I feel like prepping these two pieces is very important so that you can avoid the possibility of the spoiler coming off. After both were dried off I started to dry fit the spoiler and marked with the dry erase marker the most identifiable spots to set the spoiler back on the car with Betalink applied to the spoiler.

Call me a bit of a detail nut, but to make sure I didn't have any extra Betalink spewing from between the spoiler and trunk I starting taping around the spoiler where the Betalink would be. Keeping about a 1/4 inch from the edge. This is also done to keep your edges clean and free from any Betalink getting where you don't want it to.

I then cut one end of the tube of Betalink off with a NEW Exacto blade. A swift slice keeps the Betalink from oozing out and also allows for the applicator tip to be put on. I secured the applicator tip with duct tape so that when you're squeezing the tube, the tip isn't coming off while you're applying the Betalink to your spoiler. When the time comes to apply the Betalink I made sure to wear latex gloves. The gloves are almost a must with the application and spreading of the Betalink. It sure as hell makes for easier clean-up.

When applying the Betalink, I made sure to cover the entire leading and trailing edges. As far as thickness of the Betalink I would compare it to Zinger frosting, for lack of a better example. Maybe a little less. I knew that with the pressure applied to the spoiler to get it to set that the Betalink would compress and move to the areas that needed adhesion.

After the Betalink was all applied. I went to start to peel off the painters tape. It's important to be aware of where your tape is when peeling it off. Be sure to peel toward the center of the spoiler so that any Betalink goes back to where you want it. The last thing you want is Betalink showing on the outside of your CF Spoiler.

So as far as applying the spoiler to the car. This was a little nerve racking at first. You need to almost memorize where you had set the spoiler with addition to the marks you made earlier. Once the spoiler is put on with the Betalink you will have very little room/time to set it exactly where you want it. YOU ONLY WANT TO DO IT ONCE.

When the spoiler is set on and where you want it, proceed with the tape. I started with the ends first, alternating from side to side. Then I started working my way to the center of the spoiler. Looking at my tape job is a bit comical but I only wanted to to this once. I let it sit for about 10 hours before I removed the tape. The end result turned out better than I thought it would.

The most important piece of advice I can give is to take your time and think each step out before you execute. A job like this shouldn't be rushed when you're doing it by yourself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #120
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Has anyone installed the spoiler on a car with frozen paint?

I brought it to a local body shop and they were concerned with installing it because they couldn't use paint thinner/lacquer to remove any of the remaining adhesive from the OEM spoiler because it might leave shiny spots on the paint. How would you approach installing the spoiler with frozen paint?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #121
Captain Apex
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I have read like a 50/50 love for Betalink versus 3M tape on the CF spoiler from my thread research.

I plan to either A. sell it or B. put it up on the wall of my garage to remember my M3 when I sell it, so I do not want to make it permanent with Betalink.

Using 3M tape, will it hold long term and at significant speed?

I visit track days and dragstrips all the time, so 120+ mph happens every few weeks. Last thing I need is the spoiler coming off at 120+ and ruining a person behind me's day.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:48 AM   #122
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Apex View Post

Using 3M tape, will it hold long term and at significant speed?

I visit track days and dragstrips all the time, so 120+ mph happens every few weeks. Last thing I need is the spoiler coming off at 120+ and ruining a person behind me's day.
you'll be fine with 3m tape, but keep an eye on it. i'm running mine with no issues, but it isn't as tight as it was on day 1. this is the second time i have put it back on, but i didn't put it on the first time, so it may have not been secured properly.
believe it or not, these are functional.

what i don't like about permanently securing these, is if something hits it, you need a new trunk because you can't get the spoiler off.
      03-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #123
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ingraham View Post
I had looked for and purchased a spoiler from forum member OKUSA. E90 spoilers are hard to find BTW. The price was right and the spoiler had been taped on prior which was a plus. I couldn't imagine trying to take off Betalink from a small piece of carbon fiber. So upon its delivery I started resourcing all of the required cleaning items.

1. Goo Gone
2. Mineral Spirits
3. 3M rubber wheel (a must have to take the 3m tape off of the trunk from the small factory spoiler)
4. 3M painters tape.

After finding all of the items I started into peeling off the 3M adhesive tape from the Perf. CF Spoiler. This turned out to be a little easier than I thought. The trick is to let the Goo Gone soak for at least 5 min. After letting the tape soak I started rubbing it with a terry cloth and warm soap and water. Dawn dish soap was the soap I used. There will be a lot of 'rubber' that comes off in little pieces, so make sure you're in a place that can be cleaned up easily.

After the spoiler was cleaned off with no residue, I started on the trunk that had the smaller factory spoiler. This piece was also held on with 3M tape and it was easy to work too. For the spoiler removal I taped around the factory spoiler and slid the tape under the edges as much as I could. I was able to get under it all the way around. Next I used a plastic bondo/putty knife to separate the spoiler from the trunk. The effort needed to slide the knife wasn't that much. The thing to consider was making sure you weren't peeling the tape off as you slid the knife.

This left the trunk with a good amount of adhesive still attached and I went to work on it the same way as I did the spoiler. The only difference was letting the Goo Gone sit for 10 min so that I took as much adhesive off as I could. The idea was to use the 3M rubber wheel to get the really stuck on adhesive.

The 3M Rubber Wheel is an awesome tool to get off residue. The thing with the wheel however is that it builds heat. So as your using your high speed drill a moderate amount of force is required to basically 'erase' the residue remaining. If you stay in one place too long as your 'erasing' the residue the paint will start to burn. I had removed emblems from past cars (Evo's,Civic's) when I was younger and the rubber wheel is a time saver.

Next I started in with getting the required items for attaching the CF Spoiler.

1. Betalink K1 w/ cleaner
2. Duct tape
3. More Painters tape.
4. Exacto Knife.
5. Dry Erase Marker

So for the Betalink I went to my dealership here. One of the techs there did me a solid and supplied me with a tube. BTW if you're ever in the Colorado Springs area and you're having issues with your M go see Brian and Winslow BMW.

I washed the car throughly after the 3M rubber wheel and then took a rag with mineral spirits to the spoiler and the trunk to remove any remaining contaminants. I feel like prepping these two pieces is very important so that you can avoid the possibility of the spoiler coming off. After both were dried off I started to dry fit the spoiler and marked with the dry erase marker the most identifiable spots to set the spoiler back on the car with Betalink applied to the spoiler.

Call me a bit of a detail nut, but to make sure I didn't have any extra Betalink spewing from between the spoiler and trunk I starting taping around the spoiler where the Betalink would be. Keeping about a 1/4 inch from the edge. This is also done to keep your edges clean and free from any Betalink getting where you don't want it to.

I then cut one end of the tube of Betalink off with a NEW Exacto blade. A swift slice keeps the Betalink from oozing out and also allows for the applicator tip to be put on. I secured the applicator tip with duct tape so that when you're squeezing the tube, the tip isn't coming off while you're applying the Betalink to your spoiler. When the time comes to apply the Betalink I made sure to wear latex gloves. The gloves are almost a must with the application and spreading of the Betalink. It sure as hell makes for easier clean-up.

When applying the Betalink, I made sure to cover the entire leading and trailing edges. As far as thickness of the Betalink I would compare it to Zinger frosting, for lack of a better example. Maybe a little less. I knew that with the pressure applied to the spoiler to get it to set that the Betalink would compress and move to the areas that needed adhesion.

After the Betalink was all applied. I went to start to peel off the painters tape. It's important to be aware of where your tape is when peeling it off. Be sure to peel toward the center of the spoiler so that any Betalink goes back to where you want it. The last thing you want is Betalink showing on the outside of your CF Spoiler.

So as far as applying the spoiler to the car. This was a little nerve racking at first. You need to almost memorize where you had set the spoiler with addition to the marks you made earlier. Once the spoiler is put on with the Betalink you will have very little room/time to set it exactly where you want it. YOU ONLY WANT TO DO IT ONCE.

When the spoiler is set on and where you want it, proceed with the tape. I started with the ends first, alternating from side to side. Then I started working my way to the center of the spoiler. Looking at my tape job is a bit comical but I only wanted to to this once. I let it sit for about 10 hours before I removed the tape. The end result turned out better than I thought it would.

The most important piece of advice I can give is to take your time and think each step out before you execute. A job like this shouldn't be rushed when you're doing it by yourself.
Wow.

I don't think that's really necessary. Installed mine with 3M tape. Holds perfectly and looks exactly as tight as yours.

Still going strong.

Beta link is not reverse friendly.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #124
rb1997
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Comp. Ed. Frozen Grey

What would you do?

First: thanks for all the tips and experience from everyone else's spoiler installs; nothing is better than learning from everyone's experiences; good or bad. So, I set out to remove my OEM spoiler on my M3 frozen Silver Competition Edition. Upon removing all the adhesive (used WD-40, GooGone, 3M Adhesive remover, plastic spatula, lots of swearing), the area that had the adhesive on it is now 'polished' or more likely - the 'frozen paint' is gone, exposing the dull gray paint. Upon fitting the new Performance OEM CF spoiler, I realize that there is an approx 1/4" (0.5 cm for my fellow Canucks) of exposed dull paint at the outer edges of the spoiler. I haven't installed it yet (plan to do so with BetaLink). So.... would you go ahead with the install and try not to notice it? or should I re-install the OEM and bring the pretty, sleek CF spoiler back to the dealership? I understand it's a matter of preference, but I'm curious as to what you all think. My wife is like "What the hell, you can't even see those little spots". But you know how we all get when we're looking at our car in meticulous detail....
IMG_9584(1).JPG
IMG_9583(1).JPG
IMG_9584.JPG
IMG_9582.JPG
IMG_9581.JPG
IMG_9577.JPG
IMG_9579.JPG
IMG_9583.JPG
Attached Images

Last edited by rb1997; 04-16-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #125
phillay
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

I would be putting the OEM one back on
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #126
rb1997
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Comp. Ed. Frozen Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillay View Post
I would be putting the OEM one back on
Phillay, I did just that. It just didn't look good.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #127
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Great write up! Installed my spoiler using automotive grade 3M double stick tape and no issues whatsoever with gaps or being loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #128
Crazy8.M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just got the iND CRT spoiler for my e92 and wasn't expecting the inside to be hollowed out or the edges to be so narrow. I'm going with 3M tape and see how that holds. Didn't want to go permanent with betalink but we'll see how the tape holds after a couple of days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #129
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal24 View Post
Just got the iND CRT spoiler for my e92 and wasn't expecting the inside to be hollowed out or the edges to be so narrow. I'm going with 3M tape and see how that holds. Didn't want to go permanent with betalink but we'll see how the tape holds after a couple of days.
OEM BMW Performance Rear Deck is just the same. Hollow. I used betalink and never moved an 1/16".
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 1
Crazy8.M3273.00
      01-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #130
599M3
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have used WD40 to help along the way. Completely safe on paint also. Great post
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #131
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Just installed mine yesterday
Attached Images

Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #132
Mumen Rider
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8.M3 View Post
How did the 3m tape hold over time? Planning to install mine later this month after it arrives from Germany. I also plan to ppf it prior to installation.
Appreciate 0