BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
Yeah I've watched your videos a few times! Thanks for that.

I think the difference in sound will be heard more accurately when under load/acceleration.

From the looks of the MPE up close, it looks like a straight through design similar to the ACM method, but with perforated tubing, absorption chambers, and silencers in the tips. The inconel must attribute to the unique sound as well.
Indeed but...
I test drove with Akra and ///M Performance before I did the Oem. exhaust mod by myself .
And they are made of titanium and Inconel and so they sound also..
It's typical for titanium and Inconel that they sound really hollow , it's like screaming through a hollow barrel and I was really surprised that they actually sound like shit !
I was in love with the design of the ///M Performance and the lasered ///M logos on the exhaust tips , they look really nice and that was the only + point for me ..
Keep also in mind that a lot ///M Performance exhausts crack , with the result of vibration noises and they are a pain in the ass to fix it , because of the Inconel welds => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897377
I saw several cracks also inside on the piping of the ///MP and that is game over ..
It was not a matter of $$$$ for me , I don't care about prices , It was always and only about the sound quality and there the Oem. mod was very clearly the winner !
Here my thread about my Oem mod and the ultimate DIY video included => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
Here a video of the Oem mod ( perf. method ) in "HD" under load and like this it is how my car sounds with the Oem. mod ...
Note: You should listen with a headphone on ..

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 02-06-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yes Nik , the video shows the 2 big perforated pipe replacement and I love mine .
Really appreciate mine too..still nice to hear it from a video/outside. Never do that as nobody gets to drive my motor without myself aboard...
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #25
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/ F30 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
Mpe/akra is a complete waste of money for the price. I think they sound weak for the price you pay. Are they nice and well crafted pieces? No doubt, but you can't argue the price of the oem exhaust mod. I'm surprised people say it sounds like it "cheapens" the car. It's subjective, but I strongly disagree. An e9x m3 with oem exhaust mod does not sound like a mustang/camaro/dodge.

I have oem exhaust mod with test pipes. You'll never be able to convince me or anyone who has heard this setup in person it's not amazing or akra/mpe would have been a better option. The thing literally puts a smile on my face and my passenger's faces. Scares everyone else around. How can you tell me that for ~$400 that isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread compared to something that costs ten times the price.
      02-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #26
Jsantos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 SSII 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
OEM bypass mod sounds way better for the price of the MPE.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #27
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsantos
OEM bypass mod sounds way better for the price of the MPE.
There's no question that OEM mod is the best bang for the buck.

I've had the MPE on for a week and it's definitely more refined. All costs aside it is the better sounding albeit less aggressive exhaust. All subjective of course.
      02-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #28
bluekakke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Mpe/akra is a complete waste of money for the price. I think they sound weak for the price you pay. Are they nice and well crafted pieces? No doubt, but you can't argue the price of the oem exhaust mod. I'm surprised people say it sounds like it "cheapens" the car. It's subjective, but I strongly disagree. An e9x m3 with oem exhaust mod does not sound like a mustang/camaro/dodge.

I have oem exhaust mod with test pipes. You'll never be able to convince me or anyone who has heard this setup in person it's not amazing or akra/mpe would have been a better option. The thing literally puts a smile on my face and my passenger's faces. Scares everyone else around. How can you tell me that for ~$400 that isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread compared to something that costs ten times the price.
I have the same setup and every time I downshift with some of my boys in the car at least one of them starts laughing haha.

Turner Test Pipes | OEM Exhaust Mod | ESS Tune | Euro DCT Tune | Swift R&T Lowering Springs | Forgestar CF5V SDC 19x10"/11" Gloss Black | Hankook Ventus V12 275/30;305/30/19 | Republic Werkz Blackline LCI Taillights | Performance Style Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #29
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CognitiveDistortion View Post
Do you have any drone with the OEM mod? Especially if you are in low RPMs but high gear.
Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #30
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Really appreciate mine too..still nice to hear it from a video/outside. Never do that as nobody gets to drive my motor without myself aboard...
Made a little video of my OEM Mod, as I am soon selling this exhaust.

Nothing wrong - and I love the tone, just upgrading to another exhaust with the addition of a S/C kit and test pipes...

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #31
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 DCT

I had the 2 pipe OEM exhaust mod and it does sound great initially...but after a while it got on my nerves - just too much noise, even just cruising people would turn around to see who was making such a racket - so I had it reversed.
If the MPE was reasonably priced I'd give one a go.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #32
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
I had the 2 pipe OEM exhaust mod and it does sound great initially...but after a while it got on my nerves - just too much noise, even just cruising people would turn around to see who was making such a racket - so I had it reversed.
If the MPE was reasonably priced I'd give one a go.
Coming from OEM 2-pipe perforated to MPE recently, you do notice that the dynamic of sound and the range is entirely different between the two exhausts.

With the OEM mod, there was a low bass accelerating at all speeds whether it was slow or fast. When cruising at 80mph on the highway I wouldn't say there was a noticeable drone (or unbearable), but it was certainly louder than the MPE at the same speed cruising- especially with added throttle under load (the bass). I guess you tend to forget how quiet the stock exhaust is over time.

The MPE doesn't have the low-bass rumble of the OEM mod and is almost as quiet as stock as you're driving slower speeds or cruising. I would say that while the OEM mod was loud at all times (this is relative), the dynamic range of the MPE changed depending on the throttle. The sound is unique in how it disperses the sound being a straight-through muffler design through Inconel, so what you get is this really hollow howl that is music to your ears.

The differences between the two exhausts can't really be heard through a video and you must drive around with both to really distinguish their characteristics. It's almost like the OEM mod only has one sound profile, while the MPE has two.

Just my observations so far...

Last edited by vincE92M3; 02-18-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #33
ASBSECU E93
Rep

My .02 on the OEM Mod:

I think we can all agree the sound of the V8 M3 is what we truly enjoy.

Under normal load - the tone is nice and resonates, but not loud or excessive...would even say stock-like at times.

When the accellerateor is pressed to the floor - the sound comes alive and you hear the S65 in all it's greatness...It is even better with a Vert
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #34
Bimmer22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Coming from OEM 2-pipe perforated to MPE recently, you do notice that the dynamic of sound and the range is entirely different between the two exhausts.

With the OEM mod, there was a low bass accelerating at all speeds whether it was slow or fast. When cruising at 80mph on the highway I wouldn't say there was a noticeable drone (or unbearable), but it was certainly louder than the MPE at the same speed cruising- especially with added throttle under load (the bass). I guess you tend to forget how quiet the stock exhaust is over time.

The MPE doesn't have the low-bass rumble of the OEM mod and is almost as quiet as stock as you're driving slower speeds or cruising. I would say that while the OEM mod was loud at all times (this is relative), the dynamic range of the MPE changed depending on the throttle. The sound is unique in how it disperses the sound being a straight-through muffler design through Inconel, so what you get is this really hollow howl that is music to your ears.

The differences between the two exhausts can't really be heard through a video and you must drive around with both to really distinguish their characteristics. It's almost like the OEM mod only has one sound profile, while the MPE has two.

Just my observations so far...
Having also owned both, I concur.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #35
serranot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
OEM mod is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #36
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
Very simple, I've heard both three in real: oem, perforated oem and MPE.

MPE >> OEM >>>> perforated oem.

bottomline perforated oem kills all the exotic notes our engine is blessed to have and make it sound like a much cheaper car.

Going from perforated (aka oem mod) to OEM is an upgrade no doubt.
Spot on.

People generally go bonkers for the perforated or the straight through modded oem can only because they equate plain old exhaust volume increase as the benefit. Of course then your bang for your buck is very high.

I've owned oem, then perforated, then MPE gen 1, then Akra slip on (current).

The oem sounds amazing. Just needs more volume.

Perforated is merely louder and the sound that only comes out the back is an unrefined and utterly boring and common V8 sound. You can't even tell you are hearing an M3. It sounds more like an exhaust on that old sub 360 bhp S4.S5 V8. Maybe not even as decent as that car. I think the best thing about the oem modded can is that it has stock factory fitment and retains the nice looking stock tips.

The MPE is....good looking at the tips, not as much in the can. The sound is definitely a hollow howl, but the big drawback is that the car will drone hard at a weird ear piercing/ringing frequency at 2800-3500 rpm. This is usually around 81-86 mph in 7th gear. It effing SUCKS. Mine cracked and I sold it for $800 after buying it for $2k used.
Fitment is stock like and it's not that much lighter than the oem unit. Big plus is that the connecting pipes decouple from the can so when you get tired of it and have to ship it to Omaha to another forum member, it may be easier to pack lol.

I have always heard that Akra is silent. Don't know where that came from. My Akra is not even the evo and it's a good amount louder than any of the previously mentioned set ups. But a lot of the sound is down low and it is very bassy. At top range rpm the engine starts to take over. Fitment is no worse than stock and it's MUCH lighter. I just don't like the cannon sized tips on the Akra. The Akra evo is the best tone and sound period to me. Where the MPE sounds like a quartet and the silly Meistershit sounds like one single screaming amplified guitar, the Akra evo sounds like an entire orchestra ensemble. It hits sound frequencies you didn't know existed with this motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #37
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I've heard a lot of guys saying their M Performance Exhausts droned. In a higher gear cruise there is a tickle of drone at around 2k RPM, but that is only at a certain speed/load. Otherwise, I think the exhaust is really a great sounding exhaust with around 20 lbs. saved over the stock one, too. That's not minimal. The connecting pipes are super light.

The look of the exhaust canister from behind? That's subjective. I wasn't a fan at first, but now I don't notice it much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #38
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
I've heard a lot of guys saying their M Performance Exhausts droned. In a higher gear cruise there is a tickle of drone at around 2k RPM, but that is only at a certain speed/load. Otherwise, I think the exhaust is really a great sounding exhaust with around 20 lbs. saved over the stock one, too. That's not minimal. The connecting pipes are super light.

The look of the exhaust canister from behind? That's subjective. I wasn't a fan at first, but now I don't notice it much anymore.
The connecting pipes are exactly the same as the stock ones and are made of steel which is why they decouple from the Inconel can. You're not supposed to weld steel with the grade of Inconel they use.

I agree that the can isn't the worst looking. It's not smooth and does hang lower than the stock one but I didn't ever mind it much. 80 mph is a very normal cruise speed for me on open freeways and I didn't like to run higher rpm in 6th gear so I got very annoyed at the drone. I couldn't reliably hold a phone call on the freeway. Even in my normal 0-35 mph speed driving, every time I would pass that rpm range I would hear that tone and it would just give me a headache. Hey, if I couldn't have Akra, the only other setups I would consider are MPE gen 2, oem, and Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #39
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The connecting pipes are exactly the same as the stock ones and are made of steel which is why they decouple from the Inconel can. You're not supposed to weld steel with the grade of Inconel they use.
Well I'll be damned. I could swear that the connecting pipes on the MPE were inconel, too, and different from the stock connecting pipes. I figured the reason for the decoupling from the factory was to provide an easier way to package and ship them out.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #40
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post

I don't experience any sort of drone at highway cruising speeds. I have a 6MT and perhaps the gearing has something to do with it compared to DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #41
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't experience any sort of drone at highway cruising speeds. I have a 6MT and perhaps the gearing has something to do with it compared to DCT.
I'm 6MT too
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #42
FFM
Sell me your wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 ISF | 14 C300 AMG Sport+

Anyone installed a quad resonated Borla mid pipe with the perforated mod?

I love the sound of a mean V8, but with a cat delete thinking maybe the extra pair of resonators would clean up the tone just a bit.