BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #23
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
It is a very common misconception that the wider the tire, the better it will hook up in a straight line.

This is why a Tesla can launch so hard on skinny 195's. Width has nothing to do with it.

The rubber compound and flex of the sidewall are the physics behind it. The wider a tire the better lateral grip it can produce...that's why road racers need as wide of a tire they can get.

I guarantee that with stock 265 PSS, you would straight line hook way better than with your 315 Falkens. Hell, you could hook better using a 225 r888s.
No I still have my stock 18inch wheels with PSS on them in stock sizes. Thrown them on before just for fun, in a straight line they fry like bacon through 3rd gear. Of course the Falken Azenis are a much softer tire and provide more grip than PSS, not sure about the side wall difference between the 2 though. R888's would be even softer than my Azenis but are loud as hell.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #24
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

So it looks like it was with out a doubt the tires. Lately I've been a bit bored with the f14 so I got up early this morning and swap out my f14 for my AC Schnitzer type2 3 pc 19s. I had to lower the car about an inch all around as these have stretched tires on them and the wheel gap would make them look like they are 17s on the car. Ne ways I didn't align the car I didn't touch the dampening or adjust spring prelaod thing. Put the wheels on, which are 19x10 et 22 front 245/35/19 with a 12mm spacer 19x11 et 9 275/30/19 the rears were bald from the last time I used them almost a year ago so I took a pair of matching 265/30/19 falken 453s I had in the garage and had them put on. Now I will say the stretch it too much for my liking and I will be ordering a pair of 275s like I had tomorrow but anyway after cleaning the car I went out for a quick drive. and as luck would have it my testing road I use for the z is open and clear. I drop the car down to 2nd gear and do a pull from 40 then 50 . The car is completely straight no yanking no sliding, just goes in a dead straight line without correction from the steeringwheel. Now I will say clearly my MDM traction light does flash longer with out a doubt but the car is going straight again. I did this test on 2 other roads. one at the demise of a C7 vette that happened to try me and the car is staying straight. I think it is safe to say the tires were my issue. I'm glad I spent the money on the subframe either way but glad to know I'm not crazy lol...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #25
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
So it looks like it was with out a doubt the tires. Lately I've been a bit bored with the f14 so I got up early this morning and swap out my f14 for my AC Schnitzer type2 3 pc 19s. I had to lower the car about an inch all around as these have stretched tires on them and the wheel gap would make them look like they are 17s on the car. Ne ways I didn't align the car I didn't touch the dampening or adjust spring prelaod thing. Put the wheels on, which are 19x10 et 22 front 245/35/19 with a 12mm spacer 19x11 et 9 275/30/19 the rears were bald from the last time I used them almost a year ago so I took a pair of matching 265/30/19 falken 453s I had in the garage and had them put on. Now I will say the stretch it too much for my liking and I will be ordering a pair of 275s like I had tomorrow but anyway after cleaning the car I went out for a quick drive. and as luck would have it my testing road I use for the z is open and clear. I drop the car down to 2nd gear and do a pull from 40 then 50 . The car is completely straight no yanking no sliding, just goes in a dead straight line without correction from the steeringwheel. Now I will say clearly my MDM traction light does flash longer with out a doubt but the car is going straight again. I did this test on 2 other roads. one at the demise of a C7 vette that happened to try me and the car is staying straight. I think it is safe to say the tires were my issue. I'm glad I spent the money on the subframe either way but glad to know I'm not crazy lol...
Ah, think we were all talking about doing lauches etc with NO traction control on. Even MDM with euro version will rob you of alot of power on WOT 1st 2nd and 3rd

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #26
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Ah, think we were all talking about doing lauches etc with NO traction control on. Even MDM with euro version will rob you of alot of power on WOT 1st 2nd and 3rd
I am using the car the same way I was prior to the tires and the car is no longer flying off to one side. So even it the car was down 30whp on the 295 pSS it was still throwing the car violently to once side where as now it's not. I could even use my launch control on the pss as the car ripped hard to one direction each time.
Appreciate 0