BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #1167
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_R View Post
Have a question for those of you that installed the V2 version. Did you have a flickering of the screen when you first installed it. I have the screen size set correctly 8.8 switch (up, up,dn,up) but it flickers like crazy when I switch over to the V2 not sure where the refresh rate settings are as that seems to be the issue. I found something under Setup>Advanced>Display Setting. But you can only change 1,2,3,4,... (currently set to <1> no documentation of what those setting are. its fine when you switch back to the stock side of things.
I did not have any flickering.. the Display Setting is set to 1 on mine ('12 E93 M3). My first suggestion would be checking the DIP switches but you've already done that.. Re-check that all the connections are tight?

I actually have the car torn apart right now as I'm installing the new kremersino cable (which taps into the factory mic).
Appreciate 1
Rod_R3.00
      08-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #1168
Rod_R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I did not have any flickering.. the Display Setting is set to 1 on mine ('12 E93 M3). My first suggestion would be checking the DIP switches but you've already done that.. Re-check that all the connections are tight?

I actually have the car torn apart right now as I'm installing the new kremersino cable (which taps into the factory mic).
Thanks just wanted to know if that setting had anything to to with it. Yea haven't run the mic to the steering column yet need to figure out haow to pull that apart. I just wanted to check out the unit first before rip the column apart to get to the mic. 2011 335is E93. The thing is the stock OEM Idrive is rock solid on the screen which normally means you have a good connection. The switches HHLH (UP, UP, DN,UP). If it wasn't correct you get a black screen. Anyway thanks, I just need to dig into it.

I found the issue after running all the cables and going to lunch. The sticker was miss-labeled on the switch position and there was a loose connection internally so I hit it with a soldering iron. I thought getting into the steering column to run the mic cable was going to i be a pain the BMW manual cautions about breaking or snapping a tab actually was pretty easy. Now just have to go through the settings. It does take awhile to connect wirelessly to Android Auto but the experience is not bad navigating the menus with the short time I spend with it. I did want to touch the screen a few times. This is with a Samsung S9+.

Last edited by Rod_R; 08-08-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #1169
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just finished replacing the original cable that came with the Kremersino v2 unit with the updated cable Michael from Kremersino sent to me.. this new cable taps into the factory mic. I'm happy to report that it works. So my setup is now as follows:

- Aux in for audio.

- iPhone is paired with the BMW factory bluetooth for Telephone only (I un-checked the bluetooth Audio setting), so in CD/Multimedia the only option I have available is AUX in.

Bluetooth is only used for telephone calls at this point. I can make a call over bluetooth, works just fine (and shows my call in the carplay interface). I can trigger siri, or respond to messages, etc via carplay and the factory mic listens, works just fine. Music, waze/maps audio, etc all work just fine.

Replacing the wiring harness was a PITA.. you're basically installing the whole thing all over again from scratch.. took about 3 hours, as the new cable taps into the iDrive controller's wiring at the bottom of the iDrive controller (the original cable did not), and also taps into the factory mic. On my E93, the factory mic is on top of the steering column, just use a trim removal tool and the top half of the plastic cover pops off, the connector you tap into is to the right, a bit tough to reach. Also, the updated wiring harness requires that you update the carplay box with the latest MCU firmware, otherwise the iDrive controls don't work.

Regarding the rear view camera.. I did try to wire up my rear view camera with the kremersino unit, but unfortunately I get the same result as I originally did.. just a black screen with no video. I toggled the rear camera type from CVBS to VGA, and with VGA I just get a black screen with green flickering lines. I even put my own 12vdc power supply on it so I'm 100% sure it was getting power. Messed around with it for 20 mins or so before I just went back to my original factory BMW/emulator setup. I just sent an email to Michael to ask about this, but if anybody can confirm that a specific camera works with the kremersino unit, please let me know!

Last edited by brettcp; 08-08-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #1170
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Can anyone add details as to the difference between Michael's V1 and V2? Michael is saying V1 now has better audio quality and that I should only use V2 for wireless Android. He is not answering my quesitons about combox so they may be giving up on that for now. If aux sounds good, I am ok with aux.

From Michael.....
Please note that v1 box now have DSP amplifier chip which can improve audio quality dramatically. Now its best audio quality version 1. V1 connects to iphone over 5ghz.
Bothe version need to insert AUX. Both support oem mic.

V1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...688a9daekn388y

V2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...688a9daeiT1c2Z
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #1171
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
Can anyone add details as to the difference between Michael's V1 and V2? Michael is saying V1 now has better audio quality and that I should only use V2 for wireless Android. He is not answering my quesitons about combox so they may be giving up on that for now. If aux sounds good, I am ok with aux.

From Michael.....
Please note that v1 box now have DSP amplifier chip which can improve audio quality dramatically. Now its best audio quality version 1. V1 connects to iphone over 5ghz.
Bothe version need to insert AUX. Both support oem mic.

V1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...688a9daekn388y

V2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...688a9daeiT1c2Z
I think you're right that they have given up on combox BT audio, just too many switching issues with that route.

In looking at the diagram for the V1 box, it appears that the V1 box uses the factory mic for BT phone calls, but I believe it still requires the second mic for siri/messages/etc. This is consistent with their installation manual for the V1 box as well, you can see they want you to connect the 3.5mm microphone, which is included in the packing list on page 2:
https://kremersino.com/wp-content/up...-Version-1.pdf

There's another listing for what appears to be the same V1 box here (you have to select the "CIC" option at the top):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...12b89daerIft8P
...and in the Q&A at the bottom, somebody asked "Is this a microphone for calls or for voice control?" and they answered with "The 2 via CarPlay and siri".. doesn't make much sense but to me that hints that the 2nd mic is required for siri.

The V2 box now includes a cable that taps into the BMW factory microphone, and they do not include a 2nd microphone according to their packing list: https://kremersino.com/wp-content/up...-Version-2.pdf

I'm using the V2 box which taps into the factory microphone and I can confirm it works for everything now (phone as well as siri/messages/etc).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #1172
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Quote:
I use the kremersino unit, and have a backup camera.. but in the carplay settings I have my backup camera set to use the factory camera system, so it switches to the original BMW interface for my backup camera, then switches back to carplay once I take the car out of reverse, works great.. but you do have to set that option in the carplay settings. No relay in my case.

Now that I think about it, I do remember troubleshooting trying to get the backup camera to work with the carplay interface, but would just get a black screen every time. Michael from kremersino thought its something to do with the cameras we use here in the US (NTSC vs PAL I believe), I was never able to get it work with the carplay interface.. but the auto-switching to the BMW interface/auto-switching back to carplay works great.
I did a lot of research into this on the V2 (including plugging other things in to make sure the camera wasn't broken) Nothing worked. I ended up buying the emulator that BrettCP suggested. It works, but getting everything behind the radio was very very hard. I would love to remove that emulator if the ACP would work. I am tempted to try it again with newer firmware, but I don't want to rip my car apart again right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #1173
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_R View Post
Have a question for those of you that installed the V2 version. Did you have a flickering of the screen when you first installed it. I have the screen size set correctly 8.8 switch (up, up,dn,up) but it flickers like crazy when I switch over to the V2 not sure where the refresh rate settings are as that seems to be the issue. I found something under Setup>Advanced>Display Setting. But you can only change 1,2,3,4,... (currently set to <1> no documentation of what those setting are. its fine when you switch back to the stock side of things.
I have a V2 and I have this issue. It was oddly more common when it was new than it is now. I don't know why. But it still happens now and again. I sent video to Michael, but he never got back to me. I have never done a firmware update, but I have one and I am planning on doing it this week. Maybe it will help?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #1174
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washere View Post
I did a lot of research into this on the V2 (including plugging other things in to make sure the camera wasn't broken) Nothing worked. I ended up buying the emulator that BrettCP suggested. It works, but getting everything behind the radio was very very hard. I would love to remove that emulator if the ACP would work. I am tempted to try it again with newer firmware, but I don't want to rip my car apart again right now.
Michael told me that the V2 box only supports "AV version camera" (whatever that means). I asked him if they had a link to a specific "AV version camera" that would work for our E9x but haven't heard back yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #1175
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Michael told me that the V2 box only supports "AV version camera" (whatever that means). I asked him if they had a link to a specific "AV version camera" that would work for our E9x but haven't heard back yet.
That probably explains why some people have camera issues. I have a V1 that is over a year old and the camera works great. I am using a relay for camera power as it was already in my car. I am on the latest firmware and I am pretty sure the newer firmware activated the dynamic parking lines.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #1176
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would be happy to replace the camera if another one would solve this. I do suspect it would, but it seems that most of the ones for the e93 are NTSC not PAL (which is where I suspect the problem is). I think I have a DVD player somplace in storage that will output CBVS in PAL. Next time I am there I may try to look for it and see if that works. The backup display (fully screen) is much better than the emulator. I can confirm this because my old box (MMI)
gave me a much wider view with the same Camera and parking guidelines.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #1177
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Just finished replacing the original cable that came with the Kremersino v2 unit with the updated cable Michael from Kremersino sent to me.. this new cable taps into the factory mic. I'm happy to report that it works. So my setup is now as follows:

- Aux in for audio.

- iPhone is paired with the BMW factory bluetooth for Telephone only (I un-checked the bluetooth Audio setting), so in CD/Multimedia the only option I have available is AUX in.

Bluetooth is only used for telephone calls at this point. I can make a call over bluetooth, works just fine (and shows my call in the carplay interface). I can trigger siri, or respond to messages, etc via carplay and the factory mic listens, works just fine. Music, waze/maps audio, etc all work just fine.

Replacing the wiring harness was a PITA.. you're basically installing the whole thing all over again from scratch.. took about 3 hours, as the new cable taps into the iDrive controller's wiring at the bottom of the iDrive controller (the original cable did not), and also taps into the factory mic. On my E93, the factory mic is on top of the steering column, just use a trim removal tool and the top half of the plastic cover pops off, the connector you tap into is to the right, a bit tough to reach. Also, the updated wiring harness requires that you update the carplay box with the latest MCU firmware, otherwise the iDrive controls don't work.

Regarding the rear view camera.. I did try to wire up my rear view camera with the kremersino unit, but unfortunately I get the same result as I originally did.. just a black screen with no video. I toggled the rear camera type from CVBS to VGA, and with VGA I just get a black screen with green flickering lines. I even put my own 12vdc power supply on it so I'm 100% sure it was getting power. Messed around with it for 20 mins or so before I just went back to my original factory BMW/emulator setup. I just sent an email to Michael to ask about this, but if anybody can confirm that a specific camera works with the kremersino unit, please let me know!
Damn. Basically an install from scratch. I do recall one of the versions having iDrive Controller connections (V1? idk) so I guess it's not the end of the world. I am glad it is working now as intended and I'll have to fabricate something for that vent hole above the parking brake to allow the AUX to be cleanly hidden. Guess I got more work to do this weekend besides suspension work! My cable should be arriving sometime this week, I hope.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #1178
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Damn. Basically an install from scratch. I do recall one of the versions having iDrive Controller connections (V1? idk) so I guess it's not the end of the world. I am glad it is working now as intended and I'll have to fabricate something for that vent hole above the parking brake to allow the AUX to be cleanly hidden. Guess I got more work to do this weekend besides suspension work! My cable should be arriving sometime this week, I hope.
You can hook aux directly to the back of the CIC. That is how it was done before MULF or combox were released. If you have those, you will need to code the cic to use that input. There are instructions earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #1179
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
You can hook aux directly to the back of the CIC. That is how it was done before MULF or combox were released. If you have those, you will need to code the cic to use that input. There are instructions earlier in this thread.
IIRC, it will break Combox BT or break the AUX armrest. I do remember reading about that but I do remember unable to confirm if it worked with a combox retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #1180
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Are there any kits out there that arent using aux in for the audio connection? Seems crazy to take such a big loss in audio quality.

Ideally I'd like something that gets audio natively to the amp, uses the factory mic, bluetooth fully works. Nothing like that exists?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #1181
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
IIRC, it will break Combox BT or break the AUX armrest. I do remember reading about that but I do remember unable to confirm if it worked with a combox retrofit.
You probably are right. I will test this out in a few weeks. If that is the case, aux wiring is easily accessible by removing the rear seat trim covering of the console. You can tap in there to completely hide the wiring and not need to take apart the whole console.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #1182
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
You probably are right. I will test this out in a few weeks. If that is the case, aux wiring is easily accessible by removing the rear seat trim covering of the console. You can tap in there to completely hide the wiring and not need to take apart the whole console.
Currently my AUX cable comes out of the detachable parking brake vent inside the center console compartment in the lower left of this picture below. It works but I like it to be a little cleaner with a modified version of that vent to allow it to go through.

I kinda want wireless charging unit from the Fxx cars now to complete the wireless setup. lol

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614613

Last edited by derbo; 08-10-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #1183
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
Quote:
Currently my AUX cable comes out of the detachable parking brake vent inside the center console compartment in the lower left of this picture below. It works but I like it to be a little cleaner with a modified version of that vent to allow it to go through.

I kinda want wireless charging unit from the Fxx cars now to complete the wireless setup. lol

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614613
I have mine routed under the rubber tray in the top part of your picture. There are little plastic slats with openings big enough for you to run the wire under it. The aux then comes out of back side of the rubber tray (top right of picture) and into the aux jack.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #1184
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
Quote:

- Aux in for audio.

brettcp, if you get the chance, can you test out the steering wheel controls with the new harness? Thank you. I am looking to upgrade my wired CarPlay to this v2 unit in my e93.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #1185
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadenick View Post
I have mine routed under the rubber tray in the top part of your picture. There are little plastic slats with openings big enough for you to run the wire under it. The aux then comes out of back side of the rubber tray (top right of picture) and into the aux jack.
Thanks for the tip! I think this would make sense but I am looking to add the F8x wireless charging cradle here and that would prevent the wire from coming up.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #1186
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I think this would make sense but I am looking to add the F8x wireless charging cradle here and that would prevent the wire from coming up.
You can cut the jack cable and create a simple splitter like the microphone's splitter (V2 cable). => cable is totally hidden under the armrest, and connected to the back of AUX socket.
Maybe kremersino could create this cable too with replacing the jack plug to a splitter ("V3" cable). Somebody should propose it to Michael..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #1187
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

I got an e-mail from Michael at Kremersino this morning, he said the V1 box "Use external mic for Carplay, use OEM mic for android auto".

...so I'll stick with my V2 box as I'd rather use the OEM mic for everything, and with the new cable, it works.

He did say "speed is best" with the V1 now.. referring to the connection speed. When mine auto-connects, carplay is already up and running from the time when I open the door (which is when the connection starts) to the time i sit down and turn on the car, not sure how much benefit the "speed" would really be on the V1 box.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #1188
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadenick View Post
brettcp, if you get the chance, can you test out the steering wheel controls with the new harness? Thank you. I am looking to upgrade my wired CarPlay to this v2 unit in my e93.
Renegadenick Yes, the steering wheel controls work with the V2 unit and the new harness. Track forward/back works to control whatever is music playing via carplay, volume works, the Telephone button triggers carplay siri (which now hears me over the OEM mic with the new harness), and the voice command button still triggers the BMW factory voice recognition gal (which I never use).
Appreciate 1