BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

Angry Oil line under jacking points??

To start off: EDIT: IM AN IDIOT AND DIDNT REMOVE THE CAP OFF RESERVOIR BEFORE I COMPRESSED THE BRAKES
I installed new coilovers on my car. Everything looked good. Took it to a bmw indy shop to get aligned, they had a seized tie rod couldnt do alignment so i order a new one, bring the car back after a few days. Get it aligned, shop says they looked over entire car and everything looks good.

Drive it that night car feels great alignment is perfect.

Drive it again 3 days later, car still feels great, drove for about 2 hours no issues whatsoever.

Here is where the problem starts.

I need to change the break pads. So today (last day I drove it was Friday) Move car out of garage, place my quick jack in the center, drive the car back in. Jack up the car and change all the pads.

I start on the driver front wheel and worked my way around the car. I forgot one of the pins that holds the brake sensor in on the front driver side when i finished the job, so i took the tire off to reinstall it, and I notice oil right where my quick jack mounts in the front. I started panicking thinking it was hydraulic fluid from the jack so I quickly mounted the tire back on and dropped the car.

After further inspection the leak wasnt coming from the jack it was dripping from one of the plastic panels where the jack point is (on the side skirt).

I would estimate maybe 1/8 of litre dripped out.

I inspected the car, DCT pan is dry, oil drain plugs dry. Break lines dry. Every where the car is dry but right there near the jack point and plastic panels meet.

There was no oil under the car before i started working on it today, there was no oil dripping the entire week prior to this.

2 conclusions:

Are there any oil lines under the jack point on the drive side? Maybe i didnt place the quick jack perfect and it punctured a line???
or
Do you think the shop planted some oil there hoping it would leak so I would have to bring it in so they could make money off me? (crazy but ive been fucked by a few shops over the years so im a little paranoid) (very unlikely this is the case)

Car is no longer dripping oil. I cant access the plastic panels while the car is on the quickjack so I need to jack up the car from the center front jack point.

Currently taking a break before i tackle this issue, but was hoping someone might have a clue as to what could be the issue...

TL DR: any sort of oil lines under the front side skirt jacking point?

Last edited by DJiGGs; 08-10-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Did you press the brake pistons in when you had replaced the pads? If some of the fluid wasn't removed initially it may have dripped down and found it's way to the jack pad.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      08-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
Did you press the brake pistons in when you had replaced the pads? If some of the fluid wasn't removed initially it may have dripped down and found it's way to the jack pad.
Well it is definitely brake fluid haha. Have a few bottles of Dot 4 and poured some out, the fluid matches.

My brakes had like 5% left on them so I had to compress the brakes a lot to get the new pads in. But the one thing I didnt do is take the cap off where you fill new fluid in.

Do you think I burst a line or something? or there is a safety at the fill in point that leaks? Gonna take the panel off tonight and see whats going on... but yah you're right thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

If the reservoir overflowed you might need a need sensor that lives under the reservoir.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      08-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the heads up.
IF the sensor failed would my car throw an error code?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #6
jun_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

You need to clean the Dot 4 liquid, it corrodes iron and can be cleaned with water.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      08-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #7
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_e92 View Post
You need to clean the Dot 4 liquid, it corrodes iron and can be cleaned with water.
that one is going to be tough..... it went places that are not reachable....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #8
jun_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

It can be reached with flowing water.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      08-10-2020, 02:41 AM   #9
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

No big deal man, when you compressed the brake pistons you just forced the fluid back into the reservoir and it most likely overflowed.

Just clean the area where it overflowed because like someone already mentioned, brake fluid eats paint. Check the brake fluid levels and you should be golden.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      08-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Likely you did not burst a line. As others have said flush area below reservoir with water or other solvent. If your pedal doesn't go to the floor your lines are fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #11
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

I’ve been on a roller coaster with shit lately so I assumed the worst haha but thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it.

Cleaned up around the reservoir and under the car. Brakes feel good on the test drive. Let’s hope I remember to open the cap and take some fluid out next time I change the pads.

Cheers
Appreciate 0