BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - TiAg/Cinnamon

Strange flutter

Hi everyone,

I started to notice a strange flutter that seems to be coming from the engine once the car is warm and under load.

Also, the flutter can be felt in the pedal when accelerating as well. I plan on doing rod bearings in about 2 weeks and hope this is not what's causing this.

Any ideas of what this could be?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNAUZER_M View Post
Hi everyone,

I started to notice a strange flutter that seems to be coming from the engine once the car is warm and under load.

Also, the flutter can be felt in the pedal when accelerating as well. I plan on doing rod bearings in about 2 weeks and hope this is not what's causing this.

Thanks.
I believe I had the same exact feeling and then a few days later my throttle actuator blew. I believe your gears in your TA are stripped just a few to cause that flutter sound you're hearing. Is it just at a certain point? Meaning for me as soon as I went about 5-6k RPM I felt the flutter almost everytime.
      08-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey_domm View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks.
I believe I had the same exact feeling and then a few days later my throttle actuator blew. I believe your gears in your TA are stripped just a few to cause that flutter sound you're hearing. Is it just at a certain point? Meaning for me as soon as I went about 5-6k RPM I felt the flutter almost everytime.
Damn...the costs are piling up if it's the TA...I just readjusted the plenum today thinking it could've possibly been loose. It really only happens once fully warm and going uphill around 2k+ or under load
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Damn...the costs are piling up if it's the TA...I just readjusted the plenum today thinking it could've possibly been loose. It really only happens once fully warm and going uphill around 2k+ or under load
How many miles on the car and have you done your TA's?
      08-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How many miles on the car and have you done your TA's?
89k now and I bought the car recently so I assumed they were done prior since it seemed the TAs go out about 50k in.

Also thinking motor mounts or drive shaft might be the issue
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
89k now and I bought the car recently so I assumed they were done prior since it seemed the TAs go out about 50k in.

Also thinking motor mounts or drive shaft might be the issue
if the car has done rod bearings prior than the motor mounts have been done. If you haven't had bearings done, get those done asap.

TA's from my experience go out between 60-80k miles and a little over.
      08-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
if the car has done rod bearings prior than the motor mounts have been done. If you haven't had bearings done, get those done asap.

TA's from my experience go out between 60-80k miles and a little over.
I doubt they were done before but I am having them done next week.

Hoping to see if the bearings and motor mounts fixes this flutter. Almost feels like the drivetrain is struggling. Unless the TA's blow before then..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I doubt they were done before but I am having them done next week.

Hoping to see if the bearings and motor mounts fixes this flutter. Almost feels like the drivetrain is struggling. Unless the TA's blow before then..
Yea I mean if you're hearing the fluttering noise essentially all you should have to do is drive the car around town popping the throttle so to speak to get the car to go into limp mode. If the car doesn't go into limp mode than I would say it's something else other than TA's
      08-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #9
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Maybe exhaust donut gasket where the headers attach. I had a similar flutter (though don't recall feeling it through the pedal) and the gasket was totally blown out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
sokkiee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3

i had the same exact hesistating flutter when i let off the accel under 5-7k rpm from the engine bay area,
finally car went into limp mode and threw a code for actuator. my car only has 39k miles btw, ordered 2 reman actuators from mpowermotorsports. it comes out to 760 all said and done after u send your core in
Appreciate 0