BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

07-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Seeking advice on error code 002B36 misfiring

Fellow M-ers, need some advice, please.

On two recent but separate occasions my 09 E92 has gone into limp mode. Only had the reader with me the second time but it showed on Carly as the 002B36 misfiring with shutdown cylinder 2.

On both occasions, I cleared the codes, shutdown and restarted and car ran normally. Both occasions are after the car has been running for quite a while, various stops/starts, etc.

For the first time EVER on this car, it stalled today (just a few minutes before it starting running rough and then threw the code).

Background on vehicle:
- recently come out of periodic "Storage" (idle for 3-4 months at a time while I was out of the country)...yes it had a battery tender
- Last weekend I replaced Tstat (starting to fail), and proactively included sensor, water pump, and both radiator hoses
- Within the last year have replaced throttle body actuators, plugs, and ignition coils

Based on the history I am quite confident it is not limited to Cyl 2 or is caused by the spark plug or coil (although I will check it).

Any advice on additional troubleshooting steps or possible causes?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: out of curiosity I pulled the ignition coil (to make sure it was fully seated) and checked the Cyl 2 plug...it looked fine. Reinstalled and test drove it...no apparent symptoms and no codes.

Next Steps: will drive this week and see if I can get any repeatable codes. Stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

Happened again today:
- driving normally
- during a random period of acceleration, the engine "sputters" a little and throws the error code
- drove in limp mode (with rough engine) for a few minutes while I pulled the codes
- same codes as before
- cleared codes, pulled over and turned off car
- turned back on after a few seconds and everything was normal

Thoughts on how to further trouble shoot? My next step will be to swap ignition coils and see if the error follows the part (fingers crossed it is that simple!).

Last edited by MTM; 07-16-2020 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep

Ahah! Found it...error came back and it moved to the cylinder where I swapped coils. Took over 100 miles and ~20 trips before it came up again.

Now...if I can just find an ignition coil. It seems everyone is out of them.
Appreciate 0