BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
Number96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Individual Audio Speaker Replacement Question

Hey Guys,

I am searching for a pretty basic question but can't seem to find it on the forums, so hopefully someone here knows!

I have a couple of blown speakers in my M3 with Individual audio. I have pulled one out and it was blown baaad. I am trying to find replacements but I keep getting different information on it.

The local Bavsound supplier tells me that I need to get the full Bavsound stage 1 package (https://southernbm.com.au/products/b...al-audio-wvujt) and cant buy just the base speakers (https://southernbm.com.au/products/b...z?category=123).

I don't get why I can't just upgrade/replace the speakers by themselves, without upgrading other components of the stereo or other speakers. Is there a difference between the looms/connections etc between the base stereo and the individual package? Is there a way to just replace my blown speakers or upgrade the door speakers in the car or do I need to upgrade the speakers to a specific kit?

I have also found this package (https://www.streetsoundvision.com.au...m-for-bmw-mini) and the sales person assured me it would work, although he didnt really understand my question about the individual vs base stereos being different.

Apologies for the wall of text - hopefully everything makes sense. I live in Australia and our options for speakers are a bit more limited than USA or Euro options...

N96
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
g35mt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 F80

how many speakers are blown? It is just the mid driver? Look around the classify section, you can see some parting out there car. Either that look at local junk yard. or worse case buy the couple of blown speakers and replace it. For me, if i was to go after market speakers, i would need to replace an amp as well to fully utilize after market speaker. 1500 dollar is a huge chunk just to replace couple of blown speaker. I find that the individual system is decent enough.

my car doesn't come with individual speakers but what i did was i replace all my speaker from junkyard donor. Immediately i notice the mid and high are much better than the base system i had.

The reason why you can't just upgrade speaker blown because the ohm rating is different. For example, you left door front speaker consist of 1 tweeter and one mid range driver. They connect to a crossover and the impedance rating say 2 ohm(just using as example). Now if you go look for a speaker to replace the mid ranger driver, you have to find the speaker that after connecting with the 1 tweeter, the result is 2ohm. So to find a mid range driver that is specific is very hard. If upgrade you have to upgrade both left and right front. Again to find speaker that is specific to individual impedance, very difficult. The reason is the amplifier is putting out wattage @ specific impedance.

The first link you sent it will work and i believe there some sound improvement. Again, for 1500 bucks to replace two blown mid range driver and that is not including labor? Nah..but if you can afford it, go for it. Personally i would look in the classify section and buy it or ebay.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Number96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35mt View Post
how many speakers are blown? It is just the mid driver? Look around the classify section, you can see some parting out there car. Either that look at local junk yard. or worse case buy the couple of blown speakers and replace it. For me, if i was to go after market speakers, i would need to replace an amp as well to fully utilize after market speaker. 1500 dollar is a huge chunk just to replace couple of blown speaker. I find that the individual system is decent enough.

my car doesn't come with individual speakers but what i did was i replace all my speaker from junkyard donor. Immediately i notice the mid and high are much better than the base system i had.

The reason why you can't just upgrade speaker blown because the ohm rating is different. For example, you left door front speaker consist of 1 tweeter and one mid range driver. They connect to a crossover and the impedance rating say 2 ohm(just using as example). Now if you go look for a speaker to replace the mid ranger driver, you have to find the speaker that after connecting with the 1 tweeter, the result is 2ohm. So to find a mid range driver that is specific is very hard. If upgrade you have to upgrade both left and right front. Again to find speaker that is specific to individual impedance, very difficult. The reason is the amplifier is putting out wattage @ specific impedance.

The first link you sent it will work and i believe there some sound improvement. Again, for 1500 bucks to replace two blown mid range driver and that is not including labor? Nah..but if you can afford it, go for it. Personally i would look in the classify section and buy it or ebay.
That actually makes total sense - thank you for your detailed reply.

It makes me think that I will do the speaker upgrade first and then look to upgrade the amp at some point if I am looking for more power or volume.

Thanks again!

Ray
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number96 View Post
That actually makes total sense - thank you for your detailed reply.

It makes me think that I will do the speaker upgrade first and then look to upgrade the amp at some point if I am looking for more power or volume.

Thanks again!

Ray
Bavsound speakers are a major downgrade from EPS. Buy some Focals as they make pnp for the individual system. If you upgrade the amp get something with a built in DSP
Appreciate 0