BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #23
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Valve cover gaskets are not the same thing as valve stem seals. Valve stem seals are ring-like gaskets that go on each valve to keep oil in the valvetrain area from getting into the combustion chamber through the gap between the valve stem and the hole for the valve stem in the head. Just want to make sure I've made the distinction clear so you don't get the wrong info and try to chase this thing down with parts. I wouldn't touch anything until the inspection. In order to visually inspect the valve stem seals the tech must remove the valve covers anyways so it won't be a loss as the valve cover gaskets should be replaced at that time.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...mw-valve-seals
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #24
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Valve cover gaskets are not the same thing as valve stem seals. Valve stem seals are ring-like gaskets that go on each valve to keep oil in the valvetrain area from getting into the combustion chamber through the gap between the valve stem and the hole for the valve stem in the head. Just want to make sure I've made the distinction clear so you don't get the wrong info and try to chase this thing down with parts. I wouldn't touch anything until the inspection. In order to visually inspect the valve stem seals the tech must remove the valve covers anyways so it won't be a loss as the valve cover gaskets should be replaced at that time.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...mw-valve-seals
Thank you for further clarifying I understand now. Well if I'm already there I might as well just do all the maintenance I really wanted to cerakote my valve covers too haha. After this my only worry would be blowing a valve spring.
      08-11-2020, 10:59 PM   #25
robert23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey_domm View Post
Thank you for further clarifying I understand now. Well if I'm already there I might as well just do all the maintenance I really wanted to cerakote my valve covers too haha. After this my only worry would be blowing a valve spring.
If you’re replacing the valve stem seals, might as well replace the valve springs with updated ones since they gotta come out.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert23 View Post
If you’re replacing the valve stem seals, might as well replace the valve springs with updated ones since they gotta come out.
Exactly, if this does turn out to be the problem then Ill end up refreshing it all up anyway while Im down there. I plan on maybe 2-3 track days this year so proper maintenance is required. I plan on owning the car for years. And those pesky valve springs scare me.. buddy broke his and $8k later it was fixed.
      08-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #27
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

If you're pulling the heads this seems like a great time to go ahead and just get a stroker
      08-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #28
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Diagnosis came back and it looks to be my PCV valves on bank #1 and #2 are pulling in more oil on deceleration only when the car is warmed up as well. We got it hooked up to a special meter and found they're randomly spiking pulling more oil in. Replacing both bank 1 2 and this should be the fix, got lucky easy job.
Attached Images

08-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #29
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

STill think a stroker is probably the safest but ok good news I guess
      08-17-2020, 01:51 AM   #30
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep