BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

11-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #133
RaleighM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
About to install my Swift springs over the long Thankgiving holiday weekend and have a question. I plan on installing the front springs first...is it better to have the whole front end of the car jacked up or only jack the front corner I'm working on? I was thinking it'd be better to have the whole front up to release tension on the sway bar but not sure?
Yes, you're exactly right - best to jack up the entire front.
      11-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #134
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Father View Post
Took 2.5hrs for passenger front.
Took 2hrs for drivers front (with medical break for busting thumb)

Started rear. The spring isn't close to being able to drop out and no way to get a spring compressor up there. So I'm quitting.

It ain't worth the effort...its not even fun. I could do 4 corners on my RSX in about 45 min once the car was in the air.
I'm really surprised you're having this much trouble. I've done H&R springs on my car and my cousin's M3 as well. Less than 5 hours each time, and that was with running into an issue with a stripped bolt... All in my garage with hand tools, brute force, and an electric impact gun.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #135
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Is there a trick to removing the M14 bolt that goes through the rear camber arm? Ive been trying to get the drivers sides one out for the last hour now and it doesn't want to come out. I'm even hammering it from the other side with a screwdriver and mallet and it still doesnt want to budge! Ive even raised the camber arm to different heights with a jack and nothing is working!
      11-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #136
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep

Are you using hand tools? I found it very difficult with just a socket wrench. I just used my DeWalt electric impact driver. Came out in 2 seconds.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #137
The Father
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
I'm really surprised you're having this much trouble. I've done H&R springs on my car and my cousin's M3 as well. Less than 5 hours each time, and that was with running into an issue with a stripped bolt... All in my garage with hand tools, brute force, and an electric impact gun.
Yeah, after having the camber bolt on the driver rear go instantly in, I even started taking pics when I did the passenger rear to help the forum...

Well, after several hours....the pics were meaningless...

And I would consider myself mechanically inclined. Definitely not a mechanic. I did about 5 full suspension swaps on my RSX (one on my lunch hour....and I had time left over to eat), including trying to fix the geometry with inverted tie rods, roll center correction, etc. Intake, Exhaust, Cam swap, motor mounts, remote start/alarm. The only thing I can think of that I had somebody do was Final Drive/6th gear swap/Quaife and Hondata intake gasket. I even did all the tuning on Hondata myself. Yeah for me!

After completing it, my suggestions would be:
1. Front: drop the entire strut. Seems like it would be more work, but you'll save a ton of time cuz you'll have space to work. If not, grab a buddy!

2. Rear: remove the inboard LCA bolt (leave the shock bolt and outboard LCA bolt intact). This will eliminate ALL alignment of that stupid LCA bolt!). The inboard bolt/bearing is cammed....but you'll need aligned after the spring swap anyway. So I wouldn't even worry about getting it situated correctly. Tighten under load. Use a sharpie if you want it close.

I did start getting some noise over RR tracks on my passenger rear. I couldn't remember if I had tightened with the suspension loaded. I think I was sooo done and just tightened everything. So I went back and loosened, loaded, tightened and the noise went away. Which kinda tells me that bearing controls wheel hop and has nothing to do with maintaining geometry.

BTW, getting aligned tomorrow....need it before the snow tires go on. Supposed to snow Thurs!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #138
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
Is there a trick to removing the M14 bolt that goes through the rear camber arm? Ive been trying to get the drivers sides one out for the last hour now and it doesn't want to come out. I'm even hammering it from the other side with a screwdriver and mallet and it still doesnt want to budge! Ive even raised the camber arm to different heights with a jack and nothing is working!
Are you talking about the outer one or the inboard one? If outer - I'm pretty sure it's threaded inside the carrier as well, you can't just hammer it through.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #139
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

I just did this last weekend by myself. 5 hours total (I could do it again in 3 hours)

Here are my thoughts.

Fronts - No problems

Rear - Yes the wheel carrier bolt is truly a pain in the ass. Jack up the arm 1/2 way up, wheel carrier swings in an arc - so this ensures the holes will align. Then Put the bolt in and place a screwdriver between the strut and wheel carrier - wiggle the bolt and screwdriver and push the bolt. Went in no problem.

Other side went in 3 min.

Good Luck Y'all.

Thanks to Bill webspace for the step by step.
http://billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation

Springs - Swift Spec-R
Spacers - 18MM Front 12MM Rear

Appreciate 1
Theodore667.00
      09-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #140
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie View Post
I just did this last weekend by myself. 5 hours total (I could do it again in 3 hours)

Here are my thoughts.

Fronts - No problems

Rear - Yes the wheel carrier bolt is truly a pain in the ass. Jack up the arm 1/2 way up, wheel carrier swings in an arc - so this ensures the holes will align. Then Put the bolt in and place a screwdriver between the strut and wheel carrier - wiggle the bolt and screwdriver and push the bolt. Went in no problem.

Other side went in 3 min.

Good Luck Y'all.

Thanks to Bill webspace for the step by step.
http://billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation

Springs - Swift Spec-R
Spacers - 18MM Front 12MM Rear

This is probably the best advice regarding rear springs lol

I just spent 2 hrs doing the rear, and 80 percent of that was spent on getting the m14 bolt in on the driverside. I found the above post, and jacked it up until the hole aligned. Luckily I had a 2nd jack. Passenger side took a few min to get lined up and in. I'll be tackling the fronts tomorrow as that should be pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 1
Stronie313.50
      04-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #141
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Great guide!! Saved me a lot of time.

Did the fronts on my own today, about 30 mins each side once the car was in the air with the wheels off.

Definitely don't need a spring compressor!!

That was the best part, just load up the suspension, take the top nut off and slowly lower it.

I'll be doing the rears tomorrow
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #142
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Followed OP's instructions and got the rears installed!

Went super smooth, few minutes each side.

For the "trouble" bolt, you just need tot jack up the arm a tiny bit and wedge a wrench in-between the strut and the hub thing, just like in OP's pic. Bolt slides right in!
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:59 AM   #143
ShanesWatson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

How to Install Aftermarket Springs?

The process is not difficult, so anyone with garage access and a little know-how can accomplish this modification. One of the most reputable platforms to buy auto parts from is Amazon and eBay. The actual price will vary depending on your vehicle, location, type of spring replaced, and whether you need additional services. Labor costs typically range between $133 and $168, while you may spend $217 to $254 for the parts.

How do I install a spring?

Jack up the rear of the car and put it on car stands.
Remove the rear wheels.
Remove the shock nuts and bolts. (You can locate them by referring to the owner's manual.) ...
Remove the springs.
Install the new lowering springs.
Replace the shock nuts and bolts.
Replace the rear tires
Appreciate 0