BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

10-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

German Touring Series NASA HELP

ok so i need some help and information from people with experience. im interested in getting into nasa. with that said from what it looks like is our e92 falls into the GTS CATEGORY? does anyone have experience in racing their e9x with NASA that can offer advice or information. i have been running HPDE for a few years and would like to get more evolved. i have ran through the NASA site a few time but would love to hear from someone with hands on experience. thank you in advance
      10-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Feuerbach
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 LTW

First, I would go to a NASA event, register in their HPDE and get to know some of the people in your area.

If you are lucky there will be a GTS race, at the least someone will have a GTS car there where you can see the modifications required and get some first hand knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerbach View Post
First, I would go to a NASA event, register in their HPDE and get to know some of the people in your area.

If you are lucky there will be a GTS race, at the least someone will have a GTS car there where you can see the modifications required and get some first hand knowledge.
didnt even think of that... thank you sir
      10-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Not sure where you're located, but there's an event at Mid Ohio this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I am active in nasa and run TT. Lots of the TT guys also run GTS as well. It is a VERY competitive class since power to weight is the main rule set.
An e90 can be competitive if properly prepped $$. You would likely run gts4 which is a crazy fast class.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I am active in nasa and run TT. Lots of the TT guys also run GTS as well. It is a VERY competitive class since power to weight is the main rule set.
An e90 can be competitive if properly prepped $$. You would likely run gts4 which is a crazy fast class.
THAT WAS WHAT I WAS SCARED OF... they just opened the spec e46 class but im sure my car is too modded to sell... think the sec e46 class would be fun...
      10-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post

how do you like the time trials?
      10-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I heard de-tuning the engine may provide an edge in a lower class. For example, an E46 M3 can be restricted to low-mid 200s to compete in GTS2 and fare very well in that class. Not only that, if you detune, the engine will run much more reliable. Perhaps same concept can be applied to E9x M3 to compete very well in GTS3.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

A colleague here in Vegas run NASA TT and is without a doubt one of the fastest guys in the west. When I asked why why he wasn't running GTS, he simply answered wheel 2 wheel = contact at some point = $$$
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta
ok so i need some help and information from people with experience. im interested in getting into nasa. with that said from what it looks like is our e92 falls into the GTS CATEGORY? does anyone have experience in racing their e9x with NASA that can offer advice or information. i have been running HPDE for a few years and would like to get more evolved. i have ran through the NASA site a few time but would love to hear from someone with hands on experience. thank you in advance
An e92m3 would be in GTS3 or 4. Typically an e46m3 would be in the same. Both would be quite expensive to build. But you may consider time trial first. I started running the e46m3 in TT3 last year ......open lapping/open passing. Good time and a nice step forward. This year I am doing a silly engine swap so am stuck with my street car. The e92m3 can fit in TTB.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
I heard de-tuning the engine may provide an edge in a lower class. For example, an E46 M3 can be restricted to low-mid 200s to compete in GTS2 and fare very well in that class. Not only that, if you detune, the engine will run much more reliable. Perhaps same concept can be applied to E9x M3 to compete very well in GTS3.
sorry or the ignorance but is that done via air restrictors or ecu?
      10-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
An e92m3 would be in GTS3 or 4. Typically an e46m3 would be in the same. Both would be quite expensive to build. But you may consider time trial first. I started running the e46m3 in TT3 last year ......open lapping/open passing. Good time and a nice step forward. This year I am doing a silly engine swap so am stuck with my street car. The e92m3 can fit in TTB.
you always helped me on m3forum and appreciate the advice here as well... going to shoot you a pm
      10-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Just listed on racer connect via Facebook is a e36 m3 GTS4/CM car for sale. 40K. I have also seen championship winning GTS3 e46m3 ask 65K. That is much less than what you would pay to build one.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just listed on racer connect via Facebook is a e36 m3 GTS4/CM car for sale. 40K. I have also seen championship winning GTS3 e46m3 ask 65K. That is much less than what you would pay to build one.....
i think you hit it on the head.. probably need to stop the HPDE and get more into the TT with nasa.. not sure where to start with that but will have to jump on their site and start from the beginning
      10-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
i think you hit it on the head.. probably need to stop the HPDE and get more into the TT with nasa.. not sure where to start with that but will have to jump on their site and start from the beginning
read the CCR on the NASA site, it has a whole section on TT rules, it's a good start.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun View Post
read the CCR on the NASA site, it has a whole section on TT rules, it's a good start.
will do sir thank you... going through it now
      10-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks like i need to start running their HPDE to get through HPDE4 but the schedule is at the end of the season... next year!!!
      10-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
The good thing about TT is that you can do it in any car. It doesn't require a cage or to be a fully build race car. I drove my stock e92m3 for 5 events this year. Don’t quote me because I would need to check with the TT director but think the e92m3 can take Hoosiers, BBK and single or double adjustable coilovers (no remote res.) and still be in TTB. If you don't fit perfectly into a class just have fun.......If you’er a fast driver you can make it up with slower drivers. Another nice feature is the contingency programs. Most tire manufactures will offer tires for 1st and 2nd place finishes (min 5 cars in class) This is the case for both racing and TT. Unfortunately I was had some BFG-R1s this year and they don’t offer contingency for TT.....they do for Race.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The good thing about TT is that you can do it in any car. It doesn't require a cage or to be a fully build race car. I drove my stock e92m3 for 5 events this year. Don’t quote me because I would need to check with the TT director but think the e92m3 can take Hoosiers, BBK and single or double adjustable coilovers (no remote res.) and still be in TTB. If you don't fit perfectly into a class just have fun.......If you’er a fast driver you can make it up with slower drivers. Another nice feature is the contingency programs. Most tire manufactures will offer tires for 1st and 2nd place finishes (min 5 cars in class) This is the case for both racing and TT. Unfortunately I was had some BFG-R1s this year and they don’t offer contingency for TT.....they do for Race.
thank you!!!!

i have a cage, bbk, and doubles so sounds like that class would be perfect.. im going to pay for a membership today, but i need to get some info on how their HPDE works as i have been running open class with another ORG. for awhile and dont really want to start with their HPDE 1 if i dont have to... i suppose ill need to contact them.
      10-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
thank you!!!!

i have a cage, bbk, and doubles so sounds like that class would be perfect.. im going to pay for a membership today, but i need to get some info on how their HPDE works as i have been running open class with another ORG. for awhile and dont really want to start with their HPDE 1 if i dont have to... i suppose ill need to contact them.
The rules/point system is a little complecated. It really needs to be reviewed for each car. The example I gave above: Thats it (4 or 6 point cage might be free). You can't have any more mods or you bump up into TT3. And you don't want to go there unless you are fully prepped. TT3, 2, 1, U has a different set of rules.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
looks like i need to start running their HPDE to get through HPDE4 but the schedule is at the end of the season... next year!!!
not necessarily, when I filled out the TT paperwork in my region it was X HPDE4 days or equivalent advanced-level experience with other clubs (each one will be verified so it'll take longer than if they were NASA days). reach out to the regional TT director, you may be pleasantly surprised
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
NASA is not like some other clubs/track orgs. that hold you back or say "we don’t know you so therefore you have to start at such and such group.........once you prove your skill to us over a number of events we might move you up" No, NASA treats you like an adult. If you talk to someone, list your experience, they will put you in the appropriate group.

Oh, another thing I like a lot: After the first session of the weekend (everyone has a transponder), everyone is gridded by time. Therefore the car in front of you is faster, car behind slower. They release the group nose to tail and it may take 7 laps to catch the back of the field. Therefore you may get ~7 laps without having to pass anyone. Not racing but a in between step.
Appreciate 0