BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

12-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
Simma
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I never seem to understand why the reps at Parkview act as if their dads own the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
peanuboy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

I took my car to Endras this morning and determined the battery needs to be replaced, which they did

as expected not covered by warranty (I have extended warranty) and it cost me $465 with tax, ouch
2018 Audi R8 V10 RWS RTronic 2017 Porsche 911 C4 Cab 7MT 2009 BMW E93 M3 6MT 2008 BMW E90 335i 2004 Audi A4 1.8t 6MT 2001 VW GTI 1.8T
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
99leeric
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

forgive my ignorance, but why not replace with an aftermarket battery? $500 for an OEM battery seems insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Rudeman
Cockometer pegged
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 SG M3 6spd

SOLUTION

I had the same issues, and the first SA I spoke with said I had to replace the battery. $$$.

The next advisor gave far better advice. I don't know if this part is true, but he said the "charging" system in M3s (and presumably other BMWs) is more of a "maintaining" system, and that it can keep up with the car's electrical demands, but not really add a significant charge to the system at the same time.

His advice was to buy a charger, and not a trickle charger. I went to Canadian Tire and bought a "smart" charger, that switches between charging and trickle charging based on the the current state of the battery. It was about $90.00 regular, on special for $70. I gave it an over night blast with it, and watched as the amperes going into the battery went from 3.5 down to 0.5, to zero.

I haven't had the problem since, and the battery is now 1.5 years older than when the first SA told me it had to be replaced. No more warnings, and I can again be less careful about using the "rest mode" on the climate control when I'm parked, and using all the gadgets recklessly.

I'm sure there are other chargers that do the same thing, but I couldn't be happier with the cheesy Canadian Tire unit.

good luck.

a.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

According to the BMW Canada service menu a battery replacement is $311 + HST.

http://crm.bmw.ca/microsites/aftersa...P.aspx?lang=en
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
I had the same issues, and the first SA I spoke with said I had to replace the battery. $$$.

The next advisor gave far better advice. I don't know if this part is true, but he said the "charging" system in M3s (and presumably other BMWs) is more of a "maintaining" system, and that it can keep up with the car's electrical demands, but not really add a significant charge to the system at the same time.

His advice was to buy a charger, and not a trickle charger. I went to Canadian Tire and bought a "smart" charger, that switches between charging and trickle charging based on the the current state of the battery. It was about $90.00 regular, on special for $70. I gave it an over night blast with it, and watched as the amperes going into the battery went from 3.5 down to 0.5, to zero.

I haven't had the problem since, and the battery is now 1.5 years older than when the first SA told me it had to be replaced. No more warnings, and I can again be less careful about using the "rest mode" on the climate control when I'm parked, and using all the gadgets recklessly.

I'm sure there are other chargers that do the same thing, but I couldn't be happier with the cheesy Canadian Tire unit.

good luck.

a.

Does this charger need a power outlet?

Also are their better aftermarket batteries that last longer than this for the M3s? I'm sure there has to be an upgrade to the OEM one since the car has been out for over 5 years now.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
HPF_E92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

good luck.

a.
You are the man! Can you give us the specific model of the charger or the link so we can look into it !!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #30
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuboy View Post
I took my car to Endras this morning and determined the battery needs to be replaced, which they did

as expected not covered by warranty (I have extended warranty) and it cost me $465 with tax, ouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
According to the BMW Canada service menu a battery replacement is $311 + HST.

http://crm.bmw.ca/microsites/aftersa...P.aspx?lang=en
I got a quote from Town and Country of over $360 just for the battery alone.

Screw BMW. If anyone needs a new battery you can buy MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Flat Plate AGM Automotive Battery Groul L5/49 from Crappy Tire which is just a rebranded Exide Edge AGM Car Battery (Group L5/49). Exide is or at least was one of the OEM battery suppliers to BMW and this particular battery matches the specs of the OEM battery in my car. 90 Ah, reserve capacity 160 min, 850 CCA (close enough to the 900 CCA on my OEM battery).

I just got mine yesterday from Crappy Tire on sale for just $185. With free BMWLogger and a K+DCAN cable I'll install and register it myself. I'll take that extra $400 in savings and use it for brake pads and fluids for the track next summer
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
Rudeman
Cockometer pegged
Canada
Rep

Hey guys. Just to followup on your questions.

1) Swifty: Yes, this charger needs to be plugged into a wall outlet.

2) HPF_E92 - I just found it again on Canadian Tire's site. Guess what. It's on sale for ½ price. Don't know if I can post links, but here goes:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...l#.UrjKjXnGbOg

An absolute bargain at that price.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
VanSky
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Which mode/setting did you use to charge the battery? My battery is acting up so will pick up the battery charger tomorrow.

Quote:
Hey guys. Just to followup on your questions.

1) Swifty: Yes, this charger needs to be plugged into a wall outlet.

2) HPF_E92 - I just found it again on Canadian Tire's site. Guess what. It's on sale for ½ price. Don't know if I can post links, but here goes:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...l#.UrjKjXnGbOg

An absolute bargain at that price.
      12-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

I've dealt with James at Parkview and he was great. Replaced the differential bolt under warranty, no hassle at all.

As for the battery, is your car parked outdoors? I know the cold temperature pushes any dying battery over the edge. My battery died last year around this time. If it's parked outdoors, I would definitely get the charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
Rudeman
Cockometer pegged
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSky View Post
Which mode/setting did you use to charge the battery? My battery is acting up so will pick up the battery charger tomorrow.
Just plug it in, and it goes into a fully automatic mode, sensing how much charge is required.

I just topped my battery off again overnight. Started at ~1.7amps, then after a few minutes, I heard the fan on the charger going, and it was putting in 3.5amps.

This morning, it was reading FUL. You can guess what that means. Like I said, I had the same problem, and charging it up every 4 or 5 months keeps it topped off and gives me peace of mind to run seat heaters, defoggers and to use the rest mode when the car isn't running.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #35
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

OP, I still don't understand how dealer can say the battery is not under warranty. It should last the 4 years, 80k original warranty you have.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #36
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Just plug it in, and it goes into a fully automatic mode, sensing how much charge is required.

I just topped my battery off again overnight. Started at ~1.7amps, then after a few minutes, I heard the fan on the charger going, and it was putting in 3.5amps.

This morning, it was reading FUL. You can guess what that means. Like I said, I had the same problem, and charging it up every 4 or 5 months keeps it topped off and gives me peace of mind to run seat heaters, defoggers and to use the rest mode when the car isn't running.
Rudeman. Awesome tip. I had the same issues with increase battery discharge and low battery levels. I picked up the exact Motomaster unit you specified for 1/2 price, plugged it in, and voila, all my errors disappeared! Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0