BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Anyone buy a car bra for our car?

I'm looking or a car bra that will fit well for track days or long drives and was wondering if anyone has one and how it fit?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I wrapped the entire frontend. Full bumper, full fenders, full hood, headlights, mirrors and rockers. Well worth it for us in Canada as our roads are garbage and helps with track days too.

Edit. Just re-read your thread...car bra? who uses those still? lol
      04-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
I wrapped the entire frontend. Full bumper, full fenders, full hood, headlights, mirrors and rockers. Well worth it for us in Canada as our roads are garbage and helps with track days too.

Edit. Just re-read your thread...car bra? who uses those still? lol

LOL. I thought the same thing, but saw a couple at the track and realized it's the best compromise between the pain of taping up the car and cost of installing a clear bra, which I also have issues with once they get dinged up.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I bought one from Colgan for when I go on long trips.. It works great. I got the CF look on it and it looks and fits perfectly. You will need to call them up because they don't have it listed on their website, but they do have it.

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Picture
Attached Images

-20% Tint/GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs/BMW Performance Pedals/AFE Air Filter/Eisenmann Race
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

In my experience, Colgan is hands down the best choice, including OEM options.

And they may look bad, but for a long trip, run through Florida bugs or track I care not so much!
      04-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBRDR View Post
Picture
O MY!!!

An M3 with a bra... looks awful. But obviously it works and you only use it when you need it, so its cool
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

yeah pretty ugly but would be nice to have on occasion.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Picture
Actually, I think it fits great as far as a car bra is concerned. I may buy one for track days, I hate scrubbing R comp tire material after a track day.
      04-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
sjl888
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 AY

great option!
      04-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Actually, I think it fits great as far as a car bra is concerned. I may buy one for track days, I hate scrubbing R comp tire material after a track day.
That's my feeling exactly.

Quote:
I bought one from Colgan for when I go on long trips.. It works great. I got the CF look on it and it looks and fits perfectly. You will need to call them up because they don't have it listed on their website, but they do have it.
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you get it from?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That's my feeling exactly.

Thanks for the feedback. Where did you get it from?
I still dont get it...How much do those black lace bras run? If my memory from the mid 80's serves me correct those ran $2-300 and Trans Ams used to run them??? doing a clear bra is maybe $100 more and aesthetically is a no brainer.

Plus if anyone has ever seen the aftermath of what those things do to paint you'd stay clear from them. Sand and dust gets between the bra and paint and voila...swirls and scratches!
      04-30-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's not staying on my car all the time. It's ONLY for track days or if I'm driving to Vegas or to NorCal for a track day.

Don't know about Canada, but a good clear bra done right is about $1,000 here. Have you seen a clear bra with a few dings in it? Looks like shit. Then you have to redo them after 3-4 years because they turn yellow. And if you don't replace it at that time, they're nearly impossible to remove because they turn hard and come off in little pieces, so you're basically picking at it to get it off.

I've found a Colgan bra for $135 shipped at Autoanything.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
WKBRDR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I dialed up Colgan direct.

Yeah I only use it on long trips... Not for in-town driving.. It works great..

I've had a full custom bumper/hood/fenders/mirrors clear bra done when I first got the car and it got a slight yellowish color to it and I ended up complaining and got a refund and had it taken off..

This works great for when I decide to head out to CA, Vegas or NM... and it was a lot less expensive then the custom clear bra.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I recall getting a line in the paint where the bra fluttered & beat the hood of my 82 Vette. Had to keep getting it buffed out. I only used it for long trips also. Hope they got better -
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

They have come a long way in the Colgan shop from the flutter-bugs of the 80's. Super tight, and aero devices to keep them down on trailing edges.

As to sand/dirt/other, I strongly encourage anyone to rinse off the back of their bra regularly and dry in a clean environment. Also, if it ever rained on a car I had a bra on, I took it off as soon as practical regardless of trip status after the rain let up. Definitley before having it sit in the sun. A lawn bag in the trunk was a saving tool here a couple times.....
      05-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
Black Stallon
Quemando Carretera
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Clear Bra immedietly after paint job???

Im getting all my road damage repaired soon and my BMW dealer said that they cannot apply a clear bra until 45 days has passed so the paint can cure. Otherwise it will bubble and what not, and they cant warrantied. Is this true anybody been through these.

Cause after 45 days Im gonna have a buncj of brand new rock chips.
      05-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stallon View Post
Im getting all my road damage repaired soon and my BMW dealer said that they cannot apply a clear bra until 45 days has passed so the paint can cure. Otherwise it will bubble and what not, and they cant warrantied. Is this true anybody been through these.

Cause after 45 days Im gonna have a buncj of brand new rock chips.
Yes. You need to let the paint breath for at least a month before applying a clear bra.
Generally, when the car is new, it's been about a month since the paint was sprayed on the car.
A bra like what I'm talking about would be perfect for you until you can put a clear bra on.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
yeah pretty ugly but would be nice to have on occasion.
i know right
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

FYI They updated their website. It's all available online now.

http://www.colgancustom.com/shop_vmake.php

Then Go to BMW-->M3-->Coupe-->2010. They have multiple "coupe" listings, rather than separating them by E36 E46 E9X, but the one near the bottom that just says "Coupe" in the pull-down menu is the correct one.

I wonder if there's a way to cut a hole in the bottom or something so that my OEM BMW Performance Splitters fit/slip through. WKBRDR, can you comment on that maybe? Thanks.
Appreciate 0