BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

EXXEL Distributions

01-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

I changed my cars color, do I have to update registration?

Like the title says, anyone know if I have to do this? According to my service advisor, his friend, who is a state trooper, said that if he were to pull over a car that was a different color than what the registration said, he would have the car towed....

I looked up what the DMV says on their website but could not find an answer. Anyone know?
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
husks002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, 981 GT4

No. Just because you wrapped or plasti-dipped your car doesn't mean your paint is actually a different color. The registration color is based off what your car came from the factory paint with. You are fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

Yes, I had been pulled out of a car by undercover detectives at gun point after I painted one of my cars. Interesting experience if you are into the sort of thing, if not just take the trip to the DMV.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
Like the title says, anyone know if I have to do this? According to my service advisor, his friend, who is a state trooper, said that if he were to pull over a car that was a different color than what the registration said, he would have the car towed....

I looked up what the DMV says on their website but could not find an answer. Anyone know?
I don't know about NY but VA has a VEHICLE INFORMATION/REGISTRATION CHANGE form. I had to do it three times because my car was wrapped twice and had to change it back to gray when I traded it in. Huge pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by husks002 View Post
No. Just because you wrapped or plasti-dipped your car doesn't mean your paint is actually a different color. The registration color is based off what your car came from the factory paint with. You are fine.
For what it's worth, typically the registration states the color of the car, not the color of the paint (or a particular layer of paint, or paint that used to be there).

That said, if I drive down a shell road, do I have to update my registration to "white" until I wash it? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy94gt View Post
Yes, I had been pulled out of a car by undercover detectives at gun point after I painted one of my cars. Interesting experience if you are into the sort of thing, if not just take the trip to the DMV.
that seems kinda harsh... Ill probably get the registration changed just to play it safe. I always pass by at least 4-5 cops on my way home.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
For what it's worth, typically the registration states the color of the car, not the color of the paint (or a particular layer of paint, or paint that used to be there).

That said, if I drive down a shell road, do I have to update my registration to "white" until I wash it? Probably not.
I understand the comparison, but that really isn't a workable analogy. Really different from OP's case. Water alone won't take off a wrap.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Quote:

It is illegal to have your car painted/dipped in a color that isn't on the vehicles registration. Not because you changed the vehicles color but because your registration is wrong and/or not updated. If they run your plate and it comes back to a white M3 and your driving a red M3 you are going to get the car towed because then technically your car isn't properly registered (wrong color). If it isn't properly registered you are not allowed to drive the car on any roadway in the state of NY.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
It is illegal to have your car painted/dipped in a color that isn't on the vehicles registration. Not because you changed the vehicles color but because your registration is wrong and/or not updated. If they run your plate and it comes back to a white M3 and your driving a red M3 you are going to get the car towed because then technically your car isn't properly registered (wrong color). If it isn't properly registered you are not allowed to drive the car on any roadway in the state of NY.
Thanks for the info. Will deff get it taken care of.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
I understand the comparison, but that really isn't a workable analogy. Really different from OP's case. Water alone won't take off a wrap.
Lol yeah just playing devil's advocate...

Interesting to hear the NY laws though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Lol yeah just playing devil's advocate...

Interesting to hear the NY laws though.
Our DMVs are very interesting places too. And the form they make you fill out to update the registration is even more fun smh...
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Our DMVs are very interesting places too. And the form they make you fill out to update the registration is even more fun smh...
I think the actual title of the vehicle needs to be changed to show the new color as well. If I'm not mistaken the registration has to reflect what is on the title. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

So are you actually painted or wrapped??

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
I think the actual title of the vehicle needs to be changed to show the new color as well. If I'm not mistaken the registration has to reflect what is on the title. Lol.
Thats lovely lol. I think Ill just do the registration for now since my only fear is getting pulled over and having a non updated registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
So are you actually painted or wrapped??
Plastidiped so I guess painted lol.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
BMW Fanatik
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow

Why not just call your local authority and ask them? Lol.

As for the guy that got pulled over at gun point...that probably happened because in the early 2000's gangsters were notoriously known for wrapping cars, painting them in different colours and registering them under other people's names as to not have 'heat' on their asses.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatik
Why not just call your local authority and ask them? Lol.

As for the guy that got pulled over at gun point...that probably happened because in the early 2000's gangsters were notoriously known for wrapping cars, painting them in different colours and registering them under other people's names as to not have 'heat' on their asses.
Considering I was told indirectly by a state Trooper he'd have my car towed, I think I got my answer lmao
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

This thread basically illustrates what is wrong with America. The fact that we have to register our cars at all is ridiculous. We have the title, we keep it in a safe place, therefore we own the vehicle -- what business is it of the state what color it is? Oh I know, that old myth about driving being a 'privilege' bestowed by the state.

Anyway, I would never update my registration unless I repainted the car, and even then, maybe not. They can fight it out with my lawyer, and if some douchebag cops decide to pull me out of the car at gunpoint (you know, because cars clearly DONT have VINs that can be easily checked against ANY registration of that vehicle, amirite?), they'll hear from him too, so will the city, and I'd buy an ESS kit with the proceeds =)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted
This thread basically illustrates what is wrong with America. The fact that we have to register our cars at all is ridiculous. We have the title, we keep it in a safe place, therefore we own the vehicle -- what business is it of the state? Oh I know, that old myth about driving being a 'privilege' bestowed by the state.

Anyway, I would never update my registration unless I repainted the car. They can fight it out with my lawyer, and if some douchebag cops decide to pull me out of the car at gunpoint (you know, because cars have VINs that can be easily checked against ANY registration of that vehicle, amirite?), they'll hear from him too, so will the city, and I'd buy an ESS kit with the proceeds =)
If I had to guess, I'd say one word: money. Anything that can be slapped with a bill to increase revenue most likely will be. Take for example these red light cameras, they're all over my town now and Iv lived here for 20+ years. I have probably seen less than 10 accidents in that time frame at these intersections but the town claims they're needed for "safety."
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I had to guess, I'd say one word: money. Anything that can be slapped with a bill to increase revenue most likely will be. Take for example these red light cameras, they're all over my town now and Iv lived here for 20+ years. I have probably seen less than 10 accidents in that time frame at these intersections but the town claims they're needed for "safety."
Yeah, funny you bring up red light cameras, they've been shown to -increase- accidents because people are stopping so short at yellows to avoid them. Safety my ass...

http://www.motorists.org/red-light-c...ease-accidents

You're right though, it all comes back to money/power for any state actor. They want your money, and they want a way to coerce you into giving to them at gunpoint.

Shout out to LI though -- I grew up there, in Islip. Moved to FL about 7 years ago for school and never went back, I like the weather better here =)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
This thread basically illustrates what is wrong with America. The fact that we have to register our cars at all is ridiculous. We have the title, we keep it in a safe place, therefore we own the vehicle -- what business is it of the state what color it is? Oh I know, that old myth about driving being a 'privilege' bestowed by the state.

Anyway, I would never update my registration unless I repainted the car, and even then, maybe not. They can fight it out with my lawyer, and if some douchebag cops decide to pull me out of the car at gunpoint (you know, because cars clearly DONT have VINs that can be easily checked against ANY registration of that vehicle, amirite?), they'll hear from him too, so will the city, and I'd buy an ESS kit with the proceeds =)
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Considering I was told indirectly by a state Trooper he'd have my car towed, I think I got my answer lmao
A friend of mine had his E92M plastidipped and was only given a ticket. He drove the car home. It is unfortunate that it depends on the cops personality and yours whether your car gets impounded or not. Most in my experience won't even bother with a tow and would much rather give a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

I just checked into FL's laws on the subject because this thread got me thinking about it.

Turns out things are better down here, not only do you not have to update the color of your car on the registration -- There is case law that has shown that the color of the vehicle not matching the registration is not even grounds for a STOP

So yeah, definitely going to stick with my plan from above

Ref:
http://floridacriminallawreport.com/...ds-for-a-stop/
Appreciate 0