BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Parth317
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 09 E92 335i(SOLD)

OEM X Pipe Question

So I'm moving into an apartment where I wont have as much room to store things as I currently do in the house I'm moving out of.

Has anyone cut/clamped their oem x pipe for storage purposes?

The previous owner rewelded the primary cats back on and the welds suck....so it would be tricky to cut in the section people would if they were to add test pipes.

I was thinking maybe close to where the secondary cats are, but that might be tricky.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I don't have any direct experience with clamping test pipes, but I do see the occasional thread complaining about them leaking when clamped.

As for ease of storage, look into husky brand (Home Depot) Velcro loops. You can hang exhaust parts pretty easily, or hold them upright.
I use them to store my oem rear section.
Attached Images

07-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
Parth317
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I don't have any direct experience with clamping test pipes, but I do see the occasional thread complaining about them leaking when clamped.

As for ease of storage, look into husky brand (Home Depot) Velcro loops. You can hang exhaust parts pretty easily, or hold them upright.
Nice! I'll be in an apartment, so can't really do that in the garage I'll be parking in. If I can cut the x pipe in 2-3 pieces, it would be much easier to store it in my unit!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
FredDrivesCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jeep Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth317 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

Nice! I'll be in an apartment, so can't really do that in the garage I'll be parking in. If I can cut the x pipe in 2-3 pieces, it would be much easier to store it in my unit!
I asked the same question recently but didn't get many ideas. Cutting it would definitely help storage, transportation, and installation
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
Parth317
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDrivesCars View Post
I asked the same question recently but didn't get many ideas. Cutting it would definitely help storage, transportation, and installation
I wonder if cutting then using v band clamps before and after the secondary cats would work. That would separate it in 4 pieces(primary left cat, primary right cat, secondary cats, and resonators)
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      07-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth317 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDrivesCars View Post
I wonder if cutting then using v band clamps before and after the secondary cats would work. That would separate it in 4 pieces(primary left cat, primary right cat, secondary cats, and resonators)
That should work.. pick any round spots and have some v bands welded on. Not sure of the sizes you'll have to probably search for a metric size considering it's European