BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-06-2019, 05:04 AM   #9483
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
So for the next track day, I'm trying to find a good system with accurate GPS (10 hz) and throttle/gas measurements.

The options are -

1. Qstarz BT-Q1000eX, $200 with good analysis software with tracks built-in. It's able to break down a track into many sectors automatically which is helpful evaluating multiple laps.

For throttle/brake measurements, I can use my Carly adapter with manual work ($TIME) to analyze it.

2. Waylens Horizon, includes ODB2 adapter and 1080P camera ($500 + better mount)
No idea about any analysis software, but it seems like the best value for the hardware you get.

3. AIM Solo DL OBD2 GPS Lap Timer with ECU Connection ($700)
It seems way too expensive for what you get. Race Studio 3 looks very dated but being able to analyze the lap from the timer might be useful.

4. ApexPro - no way to measure throttle/brake but it looks like it has the best analysis software and you can review other people's laps. It's limited to iPhones which is odd. ($450)

If you have one of those, would you still go with that option or something else?
The AIM DL paired with Smartycam is the way to go. It's about the cost of a new set of slicks but it lasts forever.

I have had the DL for about 7 years and the smartycam for 3+ years.

Having the ability to look at CAN data like pedal position, brake, steering angle, etc has been one of the single best investments in improving my driving.

Last year I was able to take it to the next level when I had pro racing driver Scott Heckert coach me. He was able to look at my data and also video with data overlay between sessions at the track (no post processing with race render or dashware) and give me instant feedback on what to try. Additionally he would run two or so sessions in my car to get baseline data to compare to. Biggest thing we ended up working on was braking - sometimes softer , sometimes earlier. We pretty much just studied his brake and throttle traces compared to mine and it was easy to see where to pick up time.

We worked together again this year at mid Ohio.

Results at the 4 tracks we have worked together.

Vir : old TT3 track record 1:59.9; my final time 1:58.8 (official new record)
WGI: old TT3 track record 2:00.9; me 2:00.8 (unofficial)
LRP: old TT3 record 59.x; me 56.8 (official new track record)
Mid Ohio w/chicane: old TT3 track record 1:35.7; me 1:35.6 (unofficial)

That is 100% from his coaching enabled through data and video. I don't have right seat. So we were never in car together.

Btw I also have an apex pro. I used it once. It would not be able to tell me what the coach and the AIM did though it does have its place.
Appreciate 2
Ximian1917.50
redpriest2145.50
      06-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #9484
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the information. The Solo 2 DL package comes with a OBDII connector and it should support throttle and brake pedal position sensors. Does it on our cars without splicing into the CAN? I don't need speed and RPM, only throttle and brake position for now.
Appreciate 1
dbyrd304.00
      06-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #9485
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the information. The Solo 2 DL package comes with a OBDII connector and it should support throttle and brake pedal position sensors. Does it on our cars without splicing into the CAN? I don't need speed and RPM, only throttle and brake position for now.
Don’t get the OBD connection. Do it right. You want CAN. The CAN harness can also be wired to provide power to the device while driving. There is NO reason to tie your hands with OBD. A shop can wire it for you very quickly if you’re not comfortable doing the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #9486
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Get the AIM Solo 2 DL, wire it via CAN for the best accuracy and most channels.

If you are technically inclined, and know some basic math and physics, you can figure the rest out with YouTube videos and owner groups. I've also got some great books that I can recommend.

/discussion
      06-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #9487
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Don't get the OBD connection. Do it right. You want CAN. The CAN harness can also be wired to provide power to the device while driving. There is NO reason to tie your hands with OBD. A shop can wire it for you very quickly if you're not comfortable doing the wiring.

+1. Direct wire to CAN is by far more useful as data is severely limited with OBD2 approach. Here's some inspiration for you. I hard wired mine to the center speaker location on my non-nav car that doesn't have a center speaker. It is held in place via a RAM mount that is attached to the unused speaker bracket. I remove the AIM and install a clean, unmodified center cover when not in use. Pardon the background mess in the garage - haha

Solo2 DL by slicerM, on Flickr

'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 06-06-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
Montaver2171.50
Ximian1917.50
      06-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #9488
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
+1. Direct wire to CAN is by far more useful as data is severely limited with OBD2 approach. Here's some inspiration for you. I hard wired mine to the center speaker location on my non-nav car that doesn't have a center speaker. It is held in place via a RAM mount that is attached to the unused speaker bracket. I remove the AIM and install a clean, unmodified center cover when not in use. Pardon the background mess in the garage - haha
that is a beautiful install.
Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      06-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #9489
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

FWIW I like my waylens a lot and it has improved over time to become reliable now as a lap timer, plus the video quality is great. The original mounts sucked and now they have good "v2" mounts that come standard. Correct on data- it can be exported but it is nowhere near AIM capabilities.

I am considering getting an AIM + CAN connection to supplement my waylens with more data
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #9490
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
I just recently retired my stock brakes after 160k miles so I think I can give some decent insight. I've gone through several different pads: Pagid RS19, PFC08, Hawk DTC 60, and Hawk DTC 70. In my opinion the Pagids were the most (relatively) difficult to modulate on release, but it was never a huge issue. Overslowing, on the other hand, certainly was (/is). I'm curious what you mean by getting on the throttle while still at 10-20% braking. Do you mean that you're left foot braking and simultaneously starting to apply throttle or are you saying that you're lifting off the brake at 10-20% and going straight to the throttle? I think in either case (especially the latter) it sounds like you might not be focusing on trail braking. This still won't necessarily help the overslowing issue, but it changes your focus from "I need to come off the brakes smoothly because that's what I'm supposed to be doing" to "I need to come off the brakes smoothly because it's giving me more grip and helping me go faster". What is your current skill level? It may or may not be appropriate for you to start focusing on trail braking just yet.

Edit: I guess if you're mentioning instructors then you're probably still relatively new. I would still encourage you to look up some videos/reading material on trail braking and slowly start to incorporate it into your driving. It's not something you need to do at every corner, but there will be very obvious corners at every track where you can start practicing it and then you can take it from there.
I left foot brake on the DCT and without an instructor, prefer threshold braking to get most of it completed before turn in. It's over a second quicker in some corners, but it's not smooth. What I meant by applying throttle at the same time while still at 10-20% braking can be demonstrated by one of dogbone's videos -

When I do that, braking release is much smoother. But without it, I can't seem to get rid of the slight lurch forward when lifting off the brake pedal even half way to the apex. I think I'm at around 25% braking when I start slowly lifting after starting to turn in. Stretching out the 25% to 0% over a second or so results either in the lurch or overslowing. Just looking for any suggestions or tips as to what I could be overlooking. My caliper slide pins are dry, but clean. I may try a little bit of lube on them. Also using Motul RBF660 fluid flushed a week before the event, not that it should matter.

I need to get collect data somehow on my throttle and brake traces to get a better idea of what I'm doing as it's all just speculation on my part. I'll also need to revisit some of the suggestions from this thread about extended brake pedals to see if that helps as well. I had to place my right heel in front of my left foot to hold it in place and that just doesn't work well.

For reference, my fastest lap time with an instructor braking smoothly was 1:58.8xx and fastest solo time for one session I recorded when not braking smoothly was 1:53.7xx.
If you start to trail brake you need to adjust the start of braking zone. Additionally, some turns do not benefit from braking. I actually gained a lot of time from braking earlier and getting on the gas before the apex on higher speed turns. Sounds backwards but results show it's faster. The only times I trailbrake are majority on slower turns where my pig of a truck doesn't want to turn in. It's only used to point the car, not to necessarily slow down enough to be able to turn in.
      06-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #9491
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Can you post a more zoomed in view? The X-axis maximum value is quite large, it looks like an entire lap all at once. Would be more interested in seeing just one segment at a time.
Here's two pix: the first turn and last turn zoomed in.

I'm assuming it takes a moment for a pedal to return all the way to it's resting position. Most of the time, my movement is pretty quick from one pedal to another. But again, I do not left-foot brake. I did try it a few years ago. Didn't really take to it. I always laugh at myself because I feel like my left foot is a peg leg in terms of being capable of fine movement. I could never have been a drummer!!

I wonder if that is anti knock back springs not letting the piston release all the way until you're further driving off. But that means it's not reading pedal pressure? Interesting.
      06-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #9492
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So for the next track day, I'm trying to find a good system with accurate GPS (10 hz) and throttle/gas measurements.

The options are -

1. Qstarz BT-Q1000eX, $200 with good analysis software with tracks built-in. It's able to break down a track into many sectors automatically which is helpful evaluating multiple laps.

For throttle/brake measurements, I can use my Carly adapter with manual work ($TIME) to analyze it.

2. Waylens Horizon, includes ODB2 adapter and 1080P camera ($500 + better mount)
No idea about any analysis software, but it seems like the best value for the hardware you get.

3. AIM Solo DL OBD2 GPS Lap Timer with ECU Connection ($700)
It seems way too expensive for what you get. Race Studio 3 looks very dated but being able to analyze the lap from the timer might be useful.

4. ApexPro - no way to measure throttle/brake but it looks like it has the best analysis software and you can review other people's laps. It's limited to iPhones which is odd. ($450)

If you have one of those, would you still go with that option or something else?
Get a used solo DL not the 2. I think the 2 has fancier things but measure the same data.

But a hardwired canbus harness from mworld after that.

Plenty of solo DL used for sale.
      06-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #9493
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't get the OBD connection. Do it right. You want CAN. The CAN harness can also be wired to provide power to the device while driving. There is NO reason to tie your hands with OBD. A shop can wire it for you very quickly if you're not comfortable doing the wiring.

Lol how do you reach that when you're harnessed in?
      06-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #9494
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Little hangout at the shop today redpriest
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
roastbeef11584.50
redpriest2145.50
      06-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #9495
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/7823/4...6ff8159c_b.jpg[/img]Solo2 DL by slicerM, on Flickr

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/7860/4...97b8b06c_b.jpg[/img]Solo2 DL by slicerM, on Flickr
Lol how do you reach that when you're harnessed in?
Why would I need to reach it? I put the screen in lap timer mode while on track. It's visible in my line of site, has shift lights, all good.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #9496
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Get a used solo DL not the 2. I think the 2 has fancier things but measure the same data.

But a hardwired canbus harness from mworld after that.

Plenty of solo DL used for sale.
I'm keeping an eye out for those, but I've been finding them for $500 or so which means it makes more sense to get the new Solo 2 DL.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #9497
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm keeping an eye out for those, but I've been finding them for $500 or so which means it makes more sense to get the new Solo 2 DL.
I concur. I would get the updated version for a few hundred more.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #9498
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

I'm going to keep asking this: what is the refresh rate/polling interval, and is smoothing enabled?
      06-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #9499
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'm going to keep asking this: what is the refresh rate/polling interval, and is smoothing enabled?
The AIM is at 10Hz when looking at brake pedal and gas pedal. Most of the parameters it samples on the CAN bus are at 10Hz.

(It samples G-forces internally at 50Hz.)

You know-----no one is giving me any credit for potentially having lightning fast awesome feet! mwuhahahahahaha! Actually, it's quite the opposite.......sometimes in the heat of the moment when going from gas to brake----I misplace my foot on the brake pedal.....I got myself into trouble at Laguna Seca going into the Turn 2 hairpin. Coming down that hill, I only got my big toe on the brake pedal and couldn't slow down enough to make the turn.....ended up in the gravel.....My friend was like, "why didn't you just add your left foot?" And I'm like, "because I'm an idiot and was freaking out, ok!!!??" hahaha

Last edited by dogbone; 06-07-2019 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ximian1917.50
      06-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #9500
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
The AIM is at 10Hz when looking at brake pedal and gas pedal. Most of the parameters it samples on the CAN bus are at 10Hz.

You know-----no one is giving me any credit for potentially having lightning fast awesome feet! mwuhahahahahaha! Actually, it's quiet the opposite.......sometimes in the heat of the moment when going from gas to brake----I misplace my foot on the brake pedal.....I got myself into trouble at Laguna Seca going into the Turn 2 hairpin. Coming down that hill, I only got my big toe on the brake pedal and couldn't slow down enough to make the turn.....ended up in the gravel.....My friend was like, "why didn't you just add your left foot?" And I'm like, "because I'm an idiot and was freaking out, ok!!!??" hahaha

I accele-brake sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #9501
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You know-----no one is giving me any credit for potentially having lightning fast awesome feet! mwuhahahahahaha! Actually, it's quiet the opposite.......sometimes in the heat of the moment when going from gas to brake----I misplace my foot on the brake pedal.....I got myself into trouble at Laguna Seca going into the Turn 2 hairpin. Coming down that hill, I only got my big toe on the brake pedal and couldn't slow down enough to make the turn.....ended up in the gravel.....My friend was like, "why didn't you just add your left foot?" And I'm like, "because I'm an idiot and was freaking out, ok!!!??" hahaha

Thanks. Is the software performing smoothing? Can you turn that off or reduce the smoothing factor?

I've never used the AIM software. I am more familiar with Cosworth's Pi Toolbox but I assume it's similar.
      06-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #9502
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Where is the best place to tap into the CAN signal, I still need to do it on my AIM.
2012 E92 M3 ZCP MCS 2WR coilovers 600F/900R, Performance Friction ZF54 front BBK, stainless lines, Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads, Hotchkins F/R swaybars, solid subframe mounts, BE Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Bimmerworld motor mounts, AFe intake, underdrive, CSF radiator, GT4 front lip (ebay), APR GT 500, ebay side skirts, RaceEng tug, 15mm/10mm spacers on ZCP wheels, Apex ARC 8 18x10 square track wheels with Pirelli 265 DH slicks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #9503
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
Where is the best place to tap into the CAN signal, I still need to do it on my AIM.
Behind the glove box. You can find wires for power in there too.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #9504
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Don’t get the OBD connection. Do it right. You want CAN. The CAN harness can also be wired to provide power to the device while driving. There is NO reason to tie your hands with OBD. A shop can wire it for you very quickly if you’re not comfortable doing the wiring.
I second that. Get the CAN version
Appreciate 0