BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #23
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
James T. Kirk,

James you should keep it in the family I did pass my now almost 25 year old 535is on to my daughter I just restored the car for the second time for her she still loves the car since it has so many good memories.

However, only you can decide as (you well know) if she is ready to drive your M3 and if your decision is yes you will have nothing to worry about. Girls are far more responsible and I think they know the limits.

PS. The part about the 15 year old ... well hope his parents know what they are doing. When I was 15 I had to ask permission to use my fathers bicycle ... then those were much different times.

Edit .... Looking back in time now ... I have to add one point and that is ... I always worried about the other kids her friends etc. Still then only the father can decide what to do for he knows his child (by then a teenager). It has been now some 15 years since I gave my daughter my 535is and apart from bumping the front spoiler several times all has been well. So I guess in my case I was lucky since the 535is was just one step below the M5 at the time.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-13-2011 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Added one more point ... Looking back in time now ....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
But your daughters(if you have any) don't have balls. So they can't bust them. By default, they win. :P

[Edit]: You said butt not balls.
The girls (if he has any) surely have a nicer butt then his ... yes

Devil made me say it I could not help myself hehehe

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #25
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

There are two issues here:
1) You want to keep the M3
2) Your daughter will want a car soon (note: "want" not "need")

If money is not an issue, then keep the M3 and get her a decent first car (e.g., Honda Civic/Fit). Or sell the M3, buy her a decent first car, and invest the balance towards an F80 M3 (or college).

If you give her the M3 and there ever is an accident/problem/etc., think about how you're going to feel. Why take the risk? Their lives have enough hazards as it is.

Last edited by Foodle; 10-13-2011 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Anyone thinking giving an M3 to a teenager should also put a supercharger, so that the teenager can at least die for sure.
      10-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sure. Sounds like a great way to thin the herd prior to college.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #28
aaranzabal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp + E90 M3

Wow I had a feeling most people would say no but not this many. If there was a poll it would probably be 99% no and 1% yes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Cars have kept climbing up in HP over the years. So much so that they're at the point where many adults don't even have the wherewithal to drive them safely. A child should not be driving a 400+ hp car on the streets no matter how responsible they are. The lack of experience means that they are more prone to make mistakes - with more power, the shorter the time to react to recover. Higher power means higher speeds and the risk and gravity of injuries increases accordingly. It's a very bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #30
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

most of these posts are crap....my first car was a brand new M3 coupe that i paid for 80% of it on my own and took a loan out for the rest...insured in my name and worked plus went to school to pay for it because my father hated german cars and since an M3 was what i wanted i was on my own...knowing what kind of car i was buying my father also sent me to two high performance driving schools right after i got my license just so he knew i would be able to handle myself....3 M3's, 5 corvettes, and a few other sports cars and countless sport bikes sprinkled in there i have never had one accident or point on my license...so it drives me a little crazy when people are like kids cant be trusted with sports cars...to be honest most adults shouldnt be trusted either...i know way to many 30 year old guys that all of a sudden want to ride a bike and go out and buy a GSX-R 1000 and are on the ground two lights out of the dealership....rant over
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #31
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Smile

My M3 is my child.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #32
ase93
ASE93
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

My parents got me one when I was seventeen... Now 18 no accidents yet lol... But I've been driving cars since I was 12 and stick since 13... Although I agree that it's a stupid idea I'm glad they did.
      10-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Cars have kept climbing up in HP over the years. So much so that they're at the point where many adults don't even have the wherewithal to drive them safely. ...
Or another take on this view: you go to an HPDE and hear instructors recommend that students should learn in a relatively low HP car. And the students are adults who have all been driving for some time . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
aaranzabal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp + E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase93 View Post
Although I agree that it's a stupid idea I'm glad they did.
Haha I guess this pretty sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #35
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Definitely not. In an M3 or similar, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and before you know it, your at deadly speeds. In the hands of a teen, that's asking for trouble.

Beyond the safety issue, there's other issues like the fact that handing a $70k car to a teen is just plain spoiling them to the point where's it's almost obscene.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Anyone thinking giving an M3 to a teenager should also put a supercharger, so that the teenager can at least die for sure.
Maybe cut out the seat belts and remove the airbags too!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #37
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

its not only about the risk of hazard by giving your teenager anything above above 4 cyl's,
like others point, its about earning it. If you give him for first time to drive the king of all cars, then what will be the point of learning to appreciate it?
He will never do. Value wise, or performance wise.
On the other hand, I am not one of those that say 'your first car should be a crappy one' I think thats non-sense.
So a mellow small car like a japanese one or a small benz would be the entry point.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #38
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi112 View Post
my father also sent me to two high performance driving schools right after i got my license just so he knew i would be able to handle myself
Unless you're very talented or had crappy instructors (that gave you thumbs up), 2 HPDSs don't mean much.
      10-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #39
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranzabal View Post
I say it depends on the kid. I'm 18 with an 08 E92 M3 so maybe my view is skewed. I got a Honda CR-V as my first car when I was 16, 2010 Camaro SS when I was 17, and M3 when I turned 18. Maybe give your daughter a beater car for her first year of driving (keep the M3) and then give her the M3 a year later?

My advice is probably not that great since everyone votes "no" so far. I'm just trying to point out that not every teen with a fast car will be wreckless (yes, I agree the majority will be). Plus you have a daughter and not a son, maybe that will help? haha
It's not only about the power, although that is a consideration. For me, it is more about teaching the value of money. No matter what one says, you will NEVER value what it takes to earn enough to buy an M3 until you have had to do it yourself. Whether you have the means or not, everyone should know and respect the value of what it takes to earn your keep. I am not saying that people with means should deprive their kids, but an M3 is a bit much. Even if you want to buy your kid a nice car with a bit of sportiness, how about something like a Nissan Sentra SE-R or a Honda Civic Si?
      10-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #40
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
most of these posts are crap....my first car was a brand new M3 coupe ....3 M3's, 5 corvettes, and a few other sports cars and countless sport bikes sprinkled in there i have never had one accident or point on my license...
Wow, your sample size of one completely negates the mountains of statistics about teen drivers being vastly more likely to get into accidents and be killed than other drivers.

Quote:
... so it drives me a little crazy when people are like kids cant be trusted with sports cars...to be honest most adults shouldnt be trusted either...i know way to many 30 year old guys that all of a sudden want to ride a bike and go out and buy a GSX-R 1000 and are on the ground two lights out of the dealership....rant over
Whether adults also engage in dangerous or foolish behavior is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #41
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I say let them be responsible for a beater first then see how things go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
No

even if I were rich and had the money to do so...No

I'd rather have my kid growing up not spoiled, have a strong work ethic, who appreciates the value of money, and works hard to earn something.

That and the potential for what can happen when you mix a high performance V8 car and an adolescent driver.

Plus, I'm going to have to pay for his/her college tuition...so college tuition > M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranzabal View Post
I say it depends on the kid. I'm 18 with an 08 E92 M3 so maybe my view is skewed. I got a Honda CR-V as my first car when I was 16, 2010 Camaro SS when I was 17, and M3 when I turned 18. Maybe give your daughter a beater car for her first year of driving (keep the M3) and then give her the M3 a year later?

My advice is probably not that great since everyone votes "no" so far. I'm just trying to point out that not every teen with a fast car will be wreckless (yes, I agree the majority will be). Plus you have a daughter and not a son, maybe that will help? haha
After seeing people I grew up with die at the ages of 15-21 I say no and yes.
Beater for a first year and then the M3 if she deserves it, I mean who wouldn't want to give their kids the best they can when they can be trusted and appreciative?
      10-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #42
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
most of these posts are crap....my first car was a brand new M3 coupe that i paid for 80% of it on my own and took a loan out for the rest...insured in my name and worked plus went to school to pay for it because my father hated german cars and since an M3 was what i wanted i was on my own...knowing what kind of car i was buying my father also sent me to two high performance driving schools right after i got my license just so he knew i would be able to handle myself....3 M3's, 5 corvettes, and a few other sports cars and countless sport bikes sprinkled in there i have never had one accident or point on my license...so it drives me a little crazy when people are like kids cant be trusted with sports cars...to be honest most adults shouldnt be trusted either...i know way to many 30 year old guys that all of a sudden want to ride a bike and go out and buy a GSX-R 1000 and are on the ground two lights out of the dealership....rant over
Sorry, but a child can not pay for 80% of an M3 new and/or put themselves through school, unless you worked for your parents/oldmoney and made $XXXX/hr through the family biz. I don't mean it in a rude manner at all just so you know.
      10-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #43
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Seriously, it does not take an M3 to get into trouble. Texting in an Acura at 30mph can kill. Expense is always a consideration (as are insurance rates), but safety pays for itself in the first accident. I'm sure the poor soul laid up in traction doesn't get much solace recalling that he saved $100/month in car payments over a safer car. So M3, no I would not, but a BMW or other well-built, safe car? Absolutely!

Interesting thing I saw in Bimmer or Roundel (?) recently was a recommendation to consider a used Z3. The argument was that if your kid has a 2-seater, she is less likely to be driving everyone around town.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #44
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Why not sell your M3 in the classifieds section on here (most likely to be gone in a day considering the amount of people who missed the boat) and send your daughter to college. Once she graduates from there then buy her an M3 or any other car of your choice. I'm assuming that if you're already selling your 2011 E90 then money is not an issue and you didn't finance it, just think about what's worth more. Saving a few thousand or saving your daughters life. I'm 20 and paid for my own E92, I agree with most of the people on here but for different reasons. At the end of the day a 40 year old could be a worse driver in the 400+hp beast than an 18 year old but what counts is the safety of your seed in this world.
Appreciate 0