BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

02-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #45
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

The NT01 has been my go-to tire since Pilot Sport Cups went the way of the dodo. Got home tonight and found this from the UPS guy.

Just to see, I ran through a couple sets of the RSRRs last summer on my E36 track car and I like them enough to buy them again. Not up to NT01 standards but very good for the money.

Also tried the RE71s but I wore them down to the cords so fast, I'm giving up on them.

I'll be trying the FZ-201s this summer.

The most interesting thing is the FZ-101 slicks, and I am DEFINITELY trying those this summer. I can only get one size, for 17" wheels, so no dice on the E92. They are available for less than $150 a corner. I have a new set of wheels on delivery, so I can heat cycle them properly. Hoosier scrubs have always sounded fun. But they're a PITA to get mounted around here, and I need dead-solid predictability so I can keep my suspension dialed in predictably over the life of the tire.

Last edited by WarrantyTracker; 02-21-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #46
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
The NT01 has been my go-to tire since Pilot Sport Cups went the way of the dodo. Got home tonight and found this from the UPS guy.

Just to see, I ran through a couple sets of the RSRRs last summer on my E36 track car and I like them enough to buy them again. Not up to NT01 standards but very good for the money.

Also tried the RE71s but I wore them down to the cords so fast, I'm giving up on them.

I'll be trying the FZ-201s this summer.

The most interesting thing is the FZ-101 slicks, and I am DEFINITELY trying those this summer. I can only get one size, for 17" wheels, so no dice on the E92. They are available for less than $150 a corner. I have a new set of wheels on delivery, so I can heat cycle them properly. Hoosier scrubs have always sounded fun. But they're a PITA to get mounted around here, and I need dead-solid predictability so I can keep my suspension dialed in predictably over the life of the tire.
I heard 18s are coming.....let us know what you think.
      04-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #47
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

OK, I tried out FZ-201s and here's what I learned.

My setup with stock suspension, camber plates at -2.8 up front, and track pads does 1.2g peaks on NT01s, and 1.4g peaks (maybe 1.5) on the 201s. I would rate my driving as mediocre, especially considering the amount of experience I have.

I was testing the 100 treadwear model and tire wear looked very promising. Definitely not a quick-wear tire like the supposedly 200-TW RE71. Time will tell.

I was running long sessions at VIR during an open track event and they did not fall off dramatically like so many tires I've tried on this car.

Air temps were low but the sun was high. Over the course of the day they got slower, pretty much on a normal profile.

Sidewalls are stiff, maybe stiffer than some slicks, and I felt and heard some chatter I wasn't used to hearing on NT01s, but it's useful feedback on the track condition.

They are not silent but they're not squealers. Very little drama between traction, slide, and release. These are best for drivers that have learned skid control as muscle memory if you want to push to the limits.

I'm not sure about pressures yet. They were not showing any strong preferences along the 36psi-41psi range, but I didn't have the right conditions to dial in a tighter number.

The fit of the 265/35/18 on 9.5 inch wheels is my idea of perfect. I think 9 would be great too. Taking it down to 8.5 is getting into the range of personal preference.

Some guys might try to drive these to the track but I'm not one of them. They have a DOT number on the sidewall but they say competition use only in LEO-bait fashion. There is some tread on them but not enough to save me from heavy rain hydroplane.

Amhad, next time we're at Summit together, you gotta try these on my E92. You have a better feel for tires than I do.

Last edited by WarrantyTracker; 04-13-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
bigjae19761566.50
      04-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #48
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:

My setup with stock suspension, camber plates at -2.8 up front, and track pads does 1.2g peaks on NT01s, and 1.4g peaks (maybe 1.5) on the 201s. I would rate my driving as mediocre, especially considering the amount of experience I have.

I was testing the 100 treadwear model and tire wear looked very promising. Definitely not a quick-wear tire like the supposedly 200-TW RE71. Time will tell.

I was running long sessions at VIR during an open track event and they did not fall off dramatically like so many tires I've tried on this car.

Air temps were low but the sun was high. Over the course of the day they got slower, pretty much on a normal profile.

Sidewalls are stiff, maybe stiffer than some slicks, and I felt and heard some chatter I wasn't used to hearing on NT01s, but it's useful feedback on the track condition.

They are not silent but they're not squealers. Very little drama between traction, slide, and release. These are best for drivers that have learned skid control as muscle memory if you want to push to the limits.

I'm not sure about pressures yet. They were not showing any strong preferences along the 36psi-41psi range, but I didn't have the right conditions to dial in a tighter number.

The fit of the 265/35/18 on 9.5 inch wheels is my idea of perfect. I think 9 would be great too. Taking it down to 8.5 is getting into the range of personal preference.

Some guys might try to drive these to the track but I'm not one of them. They have a DOT number on the sidewall but they say competition use only in LEO-bait fashion. There is some tread on them but not enough to save me from heavy rain hydroplane.

Amhad, next time we're at Summit together, you gotta try these on my E92. You have a better feel for tires than I do.
Great observation! When are you at Summit next? I'll be there with NASA the next weekend.

Cheers!!

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #49
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

dope - i can't source the 100 but only the 200. i'd be willing to try in the summer heat when nobody is going to eclipse their bests anyways. @redpriest shall we try?
      04-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #50
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Quote:

How did they compare to the NT-01 in terms of grip? Trying these 201s next weekend for the first time in the 285 size

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 05:28 AM   #51
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
How did they compare to the NT-01 in terms of grip? Trying these 201s next weekend for the first time in the 285 size
I’m driving at MSRH today, so I’ll let you know with actual data. It’s only my second time running CW direction so my comparison may not be the best.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #52
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

More grip than NT01s, for sure.

They have a 200 TW? Where did you find those?

Not planning any NASA weekends this summer. Are you planning any PCAs? That's where we usually overlap.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #53
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Not planning any NASA weekends this summer. Are you planning any PCAs? That's where we usually overlap.
Iirc, they come in Medium (100) and soft compound (60). I have medium/100TW tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #54
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll post data later, but on the same track, I got lower lateral Gs with these tires vs NT01s. I was about 0.9 seconds faster though. When I used NT01s, it was my first time running the CW direction at MSRH; with FZs, it was my second time running CW.

The tires are very consistent and don't drop off mid way through a session. Don't grease up and always grip. They are decent in the rain. You won't be the fastest person on a wet track. I took it easy, but I was still passing a lot of people (I think the other drivers were driving extra slow, I was exploring the limits bc it was my first time driving in the rain).

They wear extremely fast. I have one day at COTA and one day at MSRH, and I'm already at 3-4/32" of tread. I'm going to try to run them to the cords to see how much use I can get out of them.

BTW, mine are the medium, 100TW compound.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #55
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Oops I meant the other way. Looking for the 60 tw.
      04-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #56
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
They wear extremely fast. I have one day at COTA and one day at MSRH, and I'm already at 3-4/32" of tread. I'm going to try to run them to the cords to see how much use I can get out of them.

BTW, mine are the medium, 100TW compound.
Wow. I assume you had warmer temps than we did this week at VIR? Or maybe I just drive on tippy-toes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #57
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow. I assume you had warmer temps than we did this week at VIR? Or maybe I just drive on tippy-toes.
It was cold, windy, and raining in the morning. Cool and sunny in the afternoon. I’d say I’m more of an intermediate driver. I have no idea why they’re wearing so fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:03 AM   #58
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Tried out the fz's this weekend. Mine are the 100 treadwear. LOVE the tire so far. As others have stated no real drop off in grip and stay pretty consistent. I started the tires off at 32 cold to get a baseline and then dropped 2 pounds out for the next session that was an hour long. Tires did get a little greasy near the end but only because 30 cold is still too much I think or I was just getting tired lol. Going back to the same track this Thursday and will start with 28 cold. As-far-as grip to the NT01? Definitely more grip. Glad I made the jump to these

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Appreciate 1
bigjae19761566.50
      04-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #59
Gondee
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 - 100% Stock

Jut picked up FZ-201's for track use. 265/35/18 square. Only one TD on them, and I have never used NT01's. Subbing this thread to gauge others heatcycle/longevity
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #60
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tried out the fz's this weekend. Mine are the 100 treadwear. LOVE the tire so far. As others have stated no real drop off in grip and stay pretty consistent. I started the tires off at 32 cold to get a baseline and then dropped 2 pounds out for the next session that was an hour long. Tires did get a little greasy near the end but only because 30 cold is still too much I think or I was just getting tired lol. Going back to the same track this Thursday and will start with 28 cold. As-far-as grip to the NT01? Definitely more grip. Glad I made the jump to these
Wow more than nt01? Nice. Where do you get these hour long sessions??
      04-24-2018, 06:06 AM   #61
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
I run at this track in PA called Pittsburgh International Race Complex. They host their own "DE's" and gave us group 3 guys an hour long session just to be nice I guess haha usually they are 35 minute sessions

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #62
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Have any of youz tried the fz201 in 285 30 18 size?
      04-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #63
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Have any of youz tried the fz201 in 285 30 18 size?
That's the size I run

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #64
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
I run at this track in PA called Pittsburgh International Race Complex. They host their own "DE's" and gave us group 3 guys an hour long session just to be nice I guess haha usually they are 35 minute sessions
Was it the end of the day type session. These days I run max 3 and go home. Damn I'm turning into a grandpa.
      04-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #65
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
That's the size I run
No fitment issues right? I think I wany to try these as well.
      04-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #66
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Quote:
That's the size I run
No fitment issues right? I think I wany to try these as well.
Nope no fitment issues on 18x9.5 with a 23 offset squared. Keep in mind a 285/30 is almost an inch smaller than a 275/35 with overall rolling diameter. I was worried I'd have to dial in a little more camber as well but it turned out to be just fine. Still rubs a little on compression but that'll work itself out

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Appreciate 0