BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #67
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Again, you are talking about last of this, last of that. There's a demand for every "real" M car. The E46 guys can say that their cars will be valuable because it's the last of the N/A I6. An abused one can be had for $10k, while an absolutely mint low mileage one will go for $25k. I don't see it being different for the E9x, for the F80/2 or any other massed produced M cars. You'll have a broad range of price depending on condition, mileage and options.

I've got a bottom of the barrel M car, which is an E36. You can find one for $4-5k (didn't say it was going to be pretty), or you can find a mint one like mine for more money. This is what my interior looks like, Techno Violet paint (one of the rarer ones), all maintenance up to date with some tasteful mods. So yea, it's on the higher scale in terms of price, but it's still like 1/4 of what it was new. That's why I think the guy that wrote the article is full of it.

Ignore the mats, I desperately need to buy new ones:

I think the only difference with the E9x is on some cars, the engine will be more valuable than the entire car itself.

Apples to oranges. E36 was never really a true m car. It's a watered down version. Really just a hopped up 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #68
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Apples to oranges. E36 was never really a true m car. It's a watered down version. Really just a hopped up 3 series.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #69
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
If you bothered to even half read my post, you'd understand what I'm saying. The point was that even this "watered down" M3 still has appeal, thus why some of them are going for E46 money.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #70
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you bothered to even half read my post, you'd understand what I'm saying. The point was that even this "watered down" M3 still has appeal, thus why some of them are going for E46 money.
I did read it. e36 shouldn't even be in the same realm. While I agree some e36 are brining decent $$$, (like yours w/ TV, and Vader interior) the car is still a HUGE let down when it comes to M pedigree. The US of A got the shaft when that thing came out. The e46 has already appreciated in value from only 3-5 years ago.

Shit I sold my M3 w/ tons of nice mods and low miles for much less that what high mile 100k + cars are brining now.

The e92 may not garner a huge appreciation but it will stay level, while everyone esle continues to overlook the fact that the e90 is a LIMITED PRODUCTION car. Shit, the e90 m hasn't been made in almost 4 years now. Total numbers world wide are under 10K, and less for the States.

People in this thread (not you) are mocking.. No one is claiming that this car is a piece of gold, this is a thread to start discussion, and many of the resposnes are very stuck up sounding. I bought my car to drive the shit out of it, not sit. Drove over 1,000 miles this week for work. I love it, but I also recognize that it is a unique, limited car. How many e92 do you see every day? How many e90?

Also people tend to forget that all e92 (m3, 328, etc. share the same body) while the e90 m3 has the e92 front headlamps and regular e90 have pre and post facelift lights. Only the e90 m3 looks different.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #71
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

Serious.. The rest of the world got the m3 and while we no doubt got a cool car it wan't what was intended.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #72
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was also referring to your earlier post that your e36 is 1/4 of the value and the reason is b/c its an e36. (not just being that its old) then stating that the gut that wrote the article is full of shit..

I'll say it again, I don't care for "carbuzz" or whatever it is, but we're also not talking about the car appreciating past sticker price???

Are people in this thread that dumb to think the article stating appreciating in value means that the car will be worth more than new????

Appreciating in value means that car has depreciated, leveled out, and is now climbing. Think about Porsche 964 value. That car was around 10-15k only a few years ago.. Now the stance kids are driving the prices from seeing Rotiforms and RWB posters.

e9x value are already very, very stable and haven't dropped too much in past months.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Serious.. The rest of the world got the m3 and while we no doubt got a cool car it wan't what was intended.
So because Europe got a better car (..they always do!), our car wasn't a "real ///M3"? Okay. Shoddy logic, but okay.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #74
ECAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Quote:
I thought about it, I just couldn't do it. E36 is much cheaper to run, and more different than the E92 than the E46 is. I will be hopefully taking the E36 to the track, and for my skill level, it just made more sense.

I'm still such a sucker for an LSB E46. They are just drop dead gorgeous.
You will love it at the track and everywhere else. I added mine 5 months ago after realizing I wanted to spend a lot of time at the track. Mods are cheap and the chassis is sublime with very little tuning. Strangely enough I actually drive it far more than the E92 because it is just so much fun. U.S. motor is not nearly as bad as everyone says and is easy to work on/find parts. The E36 community is really great as well, imo.
      07-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #75
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Again, you are talking about last of this, last of that. There's a demand for every "real" M car. The E46 guys can say that their cars will be valuable because it's the last of the N/A I6. An abused one can be had for $10k, while an absolutely mint low mileage one will go for $25k. I don't see it being different for the E9x, for the F80/2 or any other massed produced M cars. You'll have a broad range of price depending on condition, mileage and options.

Every one of these cars will be special to different people for different reasons. The question is how many people want to own one, how many good examples are left, and how much money those people are willing to part with to own one. Some muscle cars have skyrocketed in price because they're the cars that many guys wanted to own when they were kids, and now they have the money to put the car in their garage.

How many kids growing up these last 7 years, watching videos and reading about how fantastic the E9x is/was, will desire to own one some day and work to make it happen, just as kids now are learning about how fast and balanced the F8x is?

Certain cars from each generation always stand out from the pack, either for looks or performance or both, and the ///M cars have, to this point in their history, always managed to do that.

I have no doubt that E9x values will continue to drop for a while, but it will be interesting to see exactly where they will level off for a clean, well kept car.

The E30 was the original, so it will probably always carry the highest value, but the prices for it have only recently been skyrocketing.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=848010

Here are a couple more reference points (and now I'm going to be on the lookout for one of these beauties!):

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=877254
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=877701
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #76
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I was also referring to your earlier post that your e36 is 1/4 of the value and the reason is b/c its an e36. (not just being that its old) then stating that the gut that wrote the article is full of shit..

I'll say it again, I don't care for "carbuzz" or whatever it is, but we're also not talking about the car appreciating past sticker price???

Are people in this thread that dumb to think the article stating appreciating in value means that the car will be worth more than new????

Appreciating in value means that car has depreciated, leveled out, and is now climbing. Think about Porsche 964 value. That car was around 10-15k only a few years ago.. Now the stance kids are driving the prices from seeing Rotiforms and RWB posters.

e9x value are already very, very stable and haven't dropped too much in past months.
I still don't see how the E36 cannot be compared. It's working on the exact same model that you and I agree on (depreciated, leveled out, and is now climbing). E36's back a few years can be had for 6-7k? I have 0 doubt that I can drive the car (now at 125k miles, considered on the lower side, but not a garage queen), and drive it for 3 years straight and make $ on it later or at the very least break even.

I never once said that the US E36 M3 is considered an E46 M3 or anything like that. As a matter of fact, that's the very reason I wrote that it's the bottom of the barrel M3. Yet, even it's starting to rise in value. So I don't see how it's any different than an E46, an E92 ect... Btw, when the E9x came out the first couple of months, late model E46's were also holding their value.

I find it ironic that you mention the ECE version of the M3 btw. If it had anything resembling the Euro engines or S54, I would have skipped on this car. The fact that it has this engine was a HUGE reason why I picked it. Bulletproof, very low maintenance (I struggle to think of a more reliable engine BMW ever made, maybe M30?), cheap should I blow one up, and makes good power if I decide to go F1.

Think about this, the US M3 makes 240 ft-lbs of torque (this matters when you are putt putting around town). That's only 55 ft-lbs less than our beloved V8, but the car weighs a whopping 5-600 lbs less than an E9x.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #77
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

No doubt the e36 is a cool car and your right pricing is pretty good... I shouldn't have made it sound so harsh, but what I'm getting at is that while yes the reliabiity factor is cool, it's really close to it's 328 brethern and shares essentially the same engine.

The e36 (m3) was never intended to be sold in the USA and wasn't until demand was made that a US version was built, hence why some purists don't "love" it that's all.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #78
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECAM3 View Post
You will love it at the track and everywhere else. I added mine 5 months ago after realizing I wanted to spend a lot of time at the track. Mods are cheap and the chassis is sublime with very little tuning. Strangely enough I actually drive it far more than the E92 because it is just so much fun. U.S. motor is not nearly as bad as everyone says and is easy to work on/find parts. The E36 community is really great as well, imo.
Completely agree. The E36 is my least favorite M3, but that was based on the looks alone. Once I got one, I'm the same way as you. I drive the E36 to work 3-4 times a week, while the E92 is more of a weekend car now. I looked at brake components and it was a fraction of what it would cost on the E9x, so awesome.

For someone that is just beginning to track like myself, a modded E92 was just too much. I really thought people were exaggerating about the E36, but I can see why they are so well liked.

Just like pretty much every single M3 that has been made actually. They all have their advantage!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #79
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No doubt the e36 is a cool car and your right pricing is pretty good... I shouldn't have made it sound so harsh, but what I'm getting at is that while yes the reliabiity factor is cool, it's really close to it's 328 brethern and shares essentially the same engine.

The e36 (m3) was never intended to be sold in the USA and wasn't until demand was made that a US version was built, hence why some purists don't "love" it that's all.
Oh trust me, I'm not hurt by the decision to go with the bastard child. I completely agree that the E36 is the closest an M3 has ever been to a standard car.

The reason I brought it up was to show Ezio that even a "faux" M car can rebound too. At the end of the day, all these M3's minus the E30 were massed produced cars, so they'll almost all certainly follow the same trend.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #80
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The reason I brought it up was to show Ezio that even a "faux" M car can rebound too. At the end of the day, all these M3's minus the E30 were massed produced cars, so they'll almost all certainly follow the same trend.
Speaking of "faux" ///M cars, that really fake 1M is the only ///M car that has appreciated in value (..selling for more used than they did new). Damn fake ///M's!
Appreciate 0