BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

09-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

dealer SIMONIZ

Do you guys think the $695 SIMONIZ the dealer is trying to propose is worth it?
they are saying 7 years guarantee?
its some kind of a ceramic..

everybody on this forum says its just a stealer way to steal but
I really think this thing is serious...
although overpriced of course..

anyone has any idea where to find it in the market?

I mean these guys they must be getting this thing from somewhere for wholesale no?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

It's a rip off really. Get yourself a good sealant (Zaino, Menzerna, etc.) and apply it yourself once every 6 months, or more as needed. The only benefit with the Simoniz is the warranty, if you're really into that, but realistically, you'll be hard pressed to get anything out of it (i.e. your time spent to fight over it is not worth it).

Lastly, what exactly are they going to do? Are they first going to strip any wax of the car, then clay it thoroughly, then do any paint correction necessary, polish, then apply the Simoniz? I really doubt it. They'll just have their "shop" slap it on like some regular old wax and call it good, letting all the crap that's there be trapped underneath it.

If you can swing it or care to for that matter, pay the $400 per year and get a proper professional detail, and do the weekly/monthly maintenance of the finish yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
M3er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
It's a rip off really. Get yourself a good sealant (Zaino, Menzerna, etc.) and apply it yourself once every 6 months, or more as needed. The only benefit with the Simoniz is the warranty, if you're really into that, but realistically, you'll be hard pressed to get anything out of it (i.e. your time spent to fight over it is not worth it).

Lastly, what exactly are they going to do? Are they first going to strip any wax of the car, then clay it thoroughly, then do any paint correction necessary, polish, then apply the Simoniz? I really doubt it. They'll just have their "shop" slap it on like some regular old wax and call it good, letting all the crap that's there be trapped underneath it.

If you can swing it or care to for that matter, pay the $400 per year and get a proper professional detail, and do the weekly/monthly maintenance of the finish yourself.

Well..yeah they said it will take '1 hour?'
and it is a ceramic material...(use to be teflon or something)
I agree I have to do it myself but I was wondering
where can I find this exact thing they use and purchase it?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post

what he said +100

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

this is probably what they are selling you

i am sure you can get this stuff yourself and ask your local detailer to do the same job for you for half the price.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
Well..yeah they said it will take '1 hour?'
and it is a ceramic material...(use to be teflon or something)
I agree I have to do it myself but I was wondering
where can I find this exact thing they use and purchase it?
If they said it's going to take an hour then they are ripping you off... Doing it right will take much MUCH longer than that.
      09-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
If they said it's going to take an hour then they are ripping you off... Doing it right will take much MUCH longer than that.
Amen. Every stealership has this kind of garbage. It's a complete waste of money but they know the average person won't be able to tell the difference after it wears off anyway. Or they won't press the issue with the warranty. It's all free profit for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
M3er
Private First Class
Rep

Dealer claims the Simoniz product they sell is only available for new car dealers and he says it is not a wax. It is a ceramic resin.

they now offer me half the price..

you guys still think its worth it?
seven years guarantee?

I think its this one:

http://www.simonizusa.com/consumer/Content/AutoMoto.asp

video looks serious: http://www.simonizusa.com/consumer/C...lassCoat_1.asp
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
No, it's not.

Like I said before, if they claim it's only going to take an hour then they aren't doing the whole detailing process correctly.

Depending on the level of work needed, it can take days to properly detail a vehicle, even if it's a new car. Especially if it's new, you probably have a nice amount of swirls and other problems that need to be corrected before applying any wax, sealant, or "ceramic resin" as they state to have. This isn't an hour long process, it's MUCH longer.

You're much better off paying less than half that price for a good, respectable detailer that will have your car and take care of it properly, meaning they spend the hours it takes to treat it well.
      09-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Dealer claims the Simoniz product they sell is only available for new car dealers and he says it is not a wax. It is a ceramic resin.

they now offer me half the price..

you guys still think its worth it?
seven years guarantee?

I think its this one:

http://www.simonizusa.com/consumer/Content/AutoMoto.asp

video looks serious: http://www.simonizusa.com/consumer/C...lassCoat_1.asp

What exactly was the reason they decided to go half price for you? Did they just feel like being nice guys? All of a sudden they aren't in the business of making money?

I said before that these stupid dealer-offered coatings are pure profit for the dealership. Obviously they'd rather get half your money than none of it. At half price, believe me they will still see profit from it. So how outrageous was the markup before they offered half off? And what about the people who don't educate themselves on these practices, and actually pay full pop? How badly are they getting ripped off?

My advice is pass on what the dealership offers. Either have a professional detailer do the job CORRECTLY the first time or learn to do it yourself, then apply something like OptiCoat2.0 on the car. It will be done better, probably cost less or equal to what the stealership is trying to get from you, and perform better too.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-Coating-P554/
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
What exactly was the reason they decided to go half price for you? Did they just feel like being nice guys? All of a sudden they aren't in the business of making money?

I said before that these stupid dealer-offered coatings are pure profit for the dealership. Obviously they'd rather get half your money than none of it. At half price, believe me they will still see profit from it. So how outrageous was the markup before they offered half off? And what about the people who don't educate themselves on these practices, and actually pay full pop? How badly are they getting ripped off?

My advice is pass on what the dealership offers. Either have a professional detailer do the job CORRECTLY the first time or learn to do it yourself, then apply something like OptiCoat2.0 on the car. It will be done better, probably cost less or equal to what the stealership is trying to get from you, and perform better too.

+1 truth right there.

Ceramic resin is nice because there's no standard on what that means and how "ceramic resin" is supposed to perform. If they said it was carnauba wax, you can go online and find information about such products in how they relate to car care. "Ceramic resin" is a loose term that could mean anything. Because it's using "ceramic" I'm guessing they mean it's based off non-organic material that's made to harden through heat, but there's no doubt they won't be heating it nor will it "harden" through being heated up. "Resin" can refer to anything.

Perhaps rather than saying I waxed a car, I'm better of saying "I applied a thin film of resin derived from organic esters of fatty acids that was suspended in a mix of organic and non-organic solvents" so I can blow people minds!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
M3er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
What exactly was the reason they decided to go half price for you?

Well...price was at the beginning $895 for the M3...
then I pointed to them that another mercedes dealer was suggesting $595

and toyota would do $395
so they said they will match toyota....

I am just thinking though...if this is regular wax and they ask naive buyers for $895...
could this be investigated somehow by consumer advocates...?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well...price was at the beginning $895 for the M3...
then I pointed to them that another mercedes dealer was suggesting $595

and toyota would do $395
so they said they will match toyota....

I am just thinking though...if this is regular wax and they ask naive buyers for $895...
could this be investigated somehow by consumer advocates...?
I can understand price matching in retail, since most competing retailers by a product for the same wholesale price, or close to it depending on bulk discounts. But the dealership dropped their price $500 from their starting price and that should be a red flag. No one in business is in it for charity. Even at $395, the dealer won't be losing money or else they just wouldn't offer you this coating; they'd move on to someone else before taking a loss. So how can they justify their initial price of $895? If they aren't willing to stand behind it, and will readily take over 50% less than they asked for to start, what kind of confidence can you have in that dealership anymore?

And as for any consumer advocate investigation, like Marc said earlier, what they are claiming would be next to impossible to prove. And most warranties for this type of dealer add-on stipulate, in the fine print of course, about 837 different things that can void your "7 year warranty."

In the end, whether you decide for or against the coating, I hope you research it enough to come to an educated conclusion. If you feel it's worth it to you, do it. But at least go into it knowing you did your due diligence and did it on your own terms, not because some dealership sales guy told you to or because some guy on the internet told you not to!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
It seems like you really want to do this, regardless of what info people are posting here... so just do it then.

Post pics when the dealership screws it up though, like all the contaminants that will be stuck under this material when they don't wash/clay/polish the car properly.

If it's taking only an hour, I am certain they will just wash the car and apply this material.
      09-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #15
M3er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
It seems like you really want to do this, regardless of what info people are posting here... so just do it then.

Post pics when the dealership screws it up though, like all the contaminants that will be stuck under this material when they don't wash/clay/polish the car properly.

If it's taking only an hour, I am certain they will just wash the car and apply this material.
Yes they did wash and apply it....I actually managed to get it for 250 as part of a second car deal..
so I will never know what it cost me but it was ok price so i went like wtf?

Anyhow, it appears this is not a wax for sure. I was there and I watched them.
The car has a 'glass' like look that is not like a wax. It looks way better.
The water will just run away from it. (and so does wax I know)
But It looks definitely amazing. Pics would only show you a shiny brand new car..
so they won't help much..

I am sure many will say this thing will diminish soon.

But here is the reason I did it:

While my friend was shopping on the same dealer, he was looking for
an 08 E90...so there was two of them right next to each other - same color and year..
One of them had the old logo simonize and the other didn't

Both cars were a little dusty so the simonized was dirty as well as the other but undusting it revealed
a notable shiny surface without as many scratches as the other 08...
I am sure you can argue here that these are two different cars with different history..But the Simonized one was looking like..
ok let me say 'the sh*t' and it was simmonized 3 years ago the sticker was old on it.

so I would say this thing is worth probably 2-3 times the price of an expensive waxing procedure. but definitely not 10 times the price!

I will keep on updating as time passes....curious to see how long its gone last...

Last edited by M3er; 09-14-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Give us some pics lol!