BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #23
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
FYI, our flat tray does integrate the factory's vertical bowden support cables into the design. It prevents internal engine bay pressures at high road speed from pushing the tray down, but the flexible cables permit free upward movement should something impact the tray from underneath.
I didn't even know there were cables there from the factory until you posted this....
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
FYI, our flat tray does integrate the factory's vertical bowden support cables into the design. It prevents internal engine bay pressures at high road speed from pushing the tray down, but the flexible cables permit free upward movement should something impact the tray from underneath.
I like the retention of the cables since it allows movement. I may be warming to the flat sheet with holes in it since it’s really the side wings hanging down on the stock piece that get ripped up the most. I agree the Turner part is much more complex and should cost more, but it may also be more likely to get bent up when the side wings hit stuff and it the metal does not give, some part of the car like the bumper may give. And if you need to replace the Turner part, it’s expensive.
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #25
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

I wonder if Turner offer the option of buying the piece individually. Otherwise you bash a side piece in and need to buy the whole thing again?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #26
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Hey this tray looks awesome, instead of replacing the OEM one I might just get this one!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #27
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

Turner is running 10% off on the skid plate, so price shipped is now $540. I'm guessing just part of their black friday promotions? Though a lot of their products permanently have 'sales' on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #28
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

If the shipping was more reasonable to Canada I would consider.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #29
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
with the discount it's not far off from the deansbimmer solution, both look to be great products but I've only busted one of the corner pieces so far

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #30
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am starting to think the deansbimmer flat plate is better for lowered cars. I replaced my stock parts with new stock parts after 9 years and am already beating up the side wings that hang down. My car is only mildly lowered on H&R springs.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #31
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Just installed the Turner skid plate. Has great, solid construction that ties to the main beams up front. Great protection for the plastic radiator support and cooler. While they do say they try to retain OE Aero - I think its lower profile than the felt/plastic OE components - which is simply a benefit.

Will see how it holds up against LA roads here and there. I had scraped the car a few times with OE felt pieces/bumper when I first acquired it and acclimating to the new front coming from a 335i (its also lowered on Eibach something or other) but slowing down more at driveways and ramps goes a long way. Dont let the front dive/compress and all is easy for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #32
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitriyo View Post
Just installed the Turner skid plate. Has great, solid construction that ties to the main beams up front. Great protection for the plastic radiator support and cooler. While they do say they try to retain OE Aero - I think its lower profile than the felt/plastic OE components - which is simply a benefit.

Will see how it holds up against LA roads here and there. I had scraped the car a few times with OE felt pieces/bumper when I first acquired it and acclimating to the new front coming from a 335i (its also lowered on Eibach something or other) but slowing down more at driveways and ramps goes a long way. Dont let the front dive/compress and all is easy for the most part.
Sorry but I'm trying to understand you correctly, are you saying that it sits lower than the OEM felt or higher up? I currently have the deansbimmer one and it's flat so it definitely sits higher up and it's completely flat. From the pics of the Turner one, it looks like it retains the OEM felt form. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #33
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Sorry but I'm trying to understand you correctly, are you saying that it sits lower than the OEM felt or higher up? I currently have the deansbimmer one and it's flat so it definitely sits higher up and it's completely flat. From the pics of the Turner one, it looks like it retains the OEM felt form. Correct?
Its around the same geometry as the felt piece in the center, where it extends from the bumper towards the main undertray/brace. At the points left and right of the oil cooler vent, it looks a bit lower profile than that of the OEM felt. Doesnt protrude out as much and while it is visible, looking head on at the level of the lic plate/lower radiator inlet - I dont think its nearly as aggressive as OEM felt.

Ill try and get some reference photos in daylight.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #34
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

I'll try and get installed pics of mine too. This way there is some way to compare for others.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #35
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Gonna install mine over the holiday break...it's been sitting in my garage for about 2 weeks now. lol Will post pics after it's installed!
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #36
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
Gonna install mine over the holiday break...it's been sitting in my garage for about 2 weeks now. lol Will post pics after it's installed!
I'll be excited to see this, looks like a really nice piece.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #37
Mpower04
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'll have mine on soon as well. I have the supports mounted I just need to adjust them so everything lines up right with the plate on.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #38
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I am impressed with the Turner solution, seems a very thorough design to mimic the exact shape and function of the original parts.

I'm also impressed that they're able to sell such a complex assembly for that. Knowing what it costs me to make our "flat sheet with holes in it", it makes me wonder if that price is promotional and might go up in the future.

With over 70 sold since May, our undertray is a proven low cost alternative that should be the final replacement for an M3. In a way, the simplicity of a one piece tray has its benefits.
+1 Been driving with my deansbimmer aluminum undertray for like 7 months now. Planted as ever!
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #39
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Here you go bro! ...some real world pics of the product. Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. It comes well packaged, very well made quality pieces from each section of the tray to the screws, fitment is great as it allows for room to adjust to get the fitment right for your car.

Everything you get in the package
IMG_6034 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Flipped the tray over to view the other side
IMG_6033 by dj_dub, on Flickr

The mounts and hardware
IMG_6032 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Pics of the mounts installed
IMG_2768 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2769 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Finished installation pics
IMG_2817 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2813 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2820 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2819 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2823 by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 3
JJH542.00
dkexige61.50
BIGMIG24.00
      01-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #40
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Here you go bro! ...some real world pics of the product. Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. It comes well packaged, very well made quality pieces from each section of the tray to the screws, fitment is great as it allows for room to adjust to get the fitment right for your car.

Everything you get in the package
IMG_6034 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Flipped the tray over to view the other side
IMG_6033 by dj_dub, on Flickr

The mounts and hardware
IMG_6032 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Pics of the mounts installed
IMG_2768 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2769 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Finished installation pics
IMG_2817 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2813 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2820 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2819 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_2823 by dj_dub, on Flickr
Wow what a nice piece. Really gonna consider it. Mine is all damaged. But busy with travel right now. Maybe March.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
Ggeezer251.50
      01-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #41
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Finally installed my skid plate today. Wow am I impressed with the fit, finish, and quality. All new hardware was very nice. My felt pieces had seen better days. This set up gives you almost 1/2” more clearance under the car. It’s built very solid and install was pretty straight forward. 100% recommend this kit if you need to replace any parts of your felt.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #42
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

This looks very clean. Might need to make this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #43
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I bought an mporium / deansbimmer skid plate, and I can see why the Turner one costs a bit more - it looks like it has more mounting points and doesn't require any end user drilling.

Still, the mporium / deansbimmer skid is a seriously solid piece and a good option if you don't want to splurge on the Turner.

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #44
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

That does look really good. I wonder, though, if the additional ground clearance does funny things with the aero of the car. I'm sure BMW did a lot of wind-tunnel testing with the OE pieces, but I'm skeptical Turner did much to verify the effect of its kit. But this thing is definitely tempting.
Appreciate 0