BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

OEM pads on track

Could someone post their experience with OEM (textar) pads used on a track day? Do they fade immediately or hold up somehow? I went on a track day with Hawk HPS 5.0 and they faded every session after 2 2-min laps. Going full track pad makes no sense for me, as I daily the car and go to the track 1-2 times a year just for fun.
The Hawks had less bite when cold than oem and ate the rotors on the track. If stock pads will hold up just the same, while being more gentle on rotors and providing a better bite, then I would probably want to go that route.

Btw, from my point of view the oem brakes would do just fine if they had some decent cooling.
      07-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

OEM will overheat and create deposits all over your rotor leading you to make a thread asking about warped rotors.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      07-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

OEM pads are not for the track and will perform the same as the Hawks. I tried them once, they disintegrated.

If you are going to use a non-track pad on the track, you won't be able to drive as hard, as fast, or for as long. You'll also need to mind your braking technique which kinda takes all the fun out of it. The OEM pads will be fine for a few laps, but then you'll want to take a cooldown lap or two before getting on it again.

Last edited by dparm; 07-24-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
blowbackpolicy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've had really good luck with PFC Z-Rated pads. I have run 4 track days on them and they have held up surprisingly well. They are great on the street. I keep planning on swapping to track pads for HPDE events but the Z-Rated keep performing. You can pick them up at O'Reillys for cheap too. Have you changed your fluid to a higher performing one? I run Motul 600 and that made a drastic improvement on fade at the track.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      07-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
Going full track pad makes no sense for me, as I daily the car and go to the track 1-2 times a year just for fun.
so you should swap pads for the track
and your track pads should last you a last time then

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:16 AM   #6
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

My last experience was just like @dparm has described. I had to brake earlier and earlier and was losing confidence.
I will look into these z rated pads, but so far I think the best solution would be stock pads for daily and some track dedicated ones for swapping on a track day. Do you think I could swap just the fronts then?
      07-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My last experience was just like @dparm has described. I had to brake earlier and earlier and was losing confidence.
I will look into these z rated pads, but so far I think the best solution would be stock pads for daily and some track dedicated ones for swapping on a track day. Do you think I could swap just the fronts then?

Yes, that would probably be fine. The rears are not doing a ton of work anyway.
      07-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

Yes, that would probably be fine. The rears are not doing a ton of work anyway.
Cool, thanks.
One more thing - how are oem rotors holding up after a track day with track dedicated pads? Aren't such pads very hard on rotors?
      07-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool, thanks.
One more thing - how are oem rotors holding up after a track day with track dedicated pads? Aren't such pads very hard on rotors?
One track day with a race pad on OEM rotors isn't going to destroy them.
      07-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Cool, thanks.
Track pads are more abrasive when you run them on the street since they do not get hot enough to work properly. That said, it's all relative. Even if they were twice as abrasive as street pads, your rotors would still last a very long time if you did a lot of street driving with your track pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
One track day with a race pad on OEM rotors isn't going to destroy them.
From what I am reading, advanced drivers may destroy trackpads faster because the OE rotors cannot dissipate the heat fast enough. This results in high heat in the trackpads and push them beyond their operating range for wear? I'm not sure.

lutfy said he could get PFC08s worn out in one weekend on OE rotors and when he switched to PFC DD rotors, it significantly decreased the pad wear rates.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
From what I am reading, advanced drivers may destroy trackpads faster because the OE rotors cannot dissipate the heat fast enough. This results in high heat in the trackpads and push them beyond their operating range for wear? I'm not sure.

lutfy said he could get PFC08s worn out in one weekend on OE rotors and when he switched to PFC DD rotors, it significantly decreased the pad wear rates.

I should have been more clear. You will not wear the OEM rotors from new to minimum thickness in one track day on a PFC08, but it's very possible to wear the pads down pretty far depending on the track, your driving style, and the car setup (namely if you have more power and/or R-comp tires).

If the OEM rotors can't dissipate heat fast enough, either add more cooling or run pads with a higher MOT.
derbo3592.00
      07-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Track pads are more abrasive when you run them on the street since they do not get hot enough to work properly. That said, it's all relative. Even if they were twice as abrasive as street pads, your rotors would still last a very long time if you did a lot of street driving with your track pads.
This is correct. No one talks about abrasive versus adhesive/adherent friction. It's the fundamental difference between street and track pads, and explains why track pads squeal and destroy rotors when cold.

Last edited by dparm; 07-27-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
bigjae19761566.50
      07-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I should have been more clear. You will not wear the OEM rotors from new to minimum thickness in one track day on a PFC08, but it's very possible to wear the pads down pretty far depending on the track, your driving style, and the car setup (namely if you have more power and/or R-comp tires).

If the OEM rotors can't dissipate heat fast enough, either add more cooling or run pads with a higher MOT.
That makes sense in my head and what I originally thought in my head as well. I have set of rotors near min thickness (less than 1mm) and I am planning how to tackle my brake setup for HPDE.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
This is correct. No one talks about abrasive versus adhesive/adherent friction. It's the fundamental difference between street and track pads, and explains why track pads squeal and destroy rotors when cold.
Which is why there is no such thing as a true dual purpose pad.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Quote:
Which is why there is no such thing as a true dual purpose pad.
Yeah, I figured it out as well.
In my case the best solution seems stock for the street and some serious track pads to swap. I can't imagine overheating stock brakes on the street to be honest, they gave up on the track after 2 laps with some 200-100 hard (sometimes trail) braking. Not possible to drive like this on public roads
      07-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

My friends and I have been using StopTech Sport pads for a few years on various cars for arrive and drive track pads. (They used to be called StopTech Street Performance but the name got changed around the first of the year. DON'T get the new StopTech Street brand.)

They seem to have about the same stopping power as a street pad, but they don't melt or fade during HPDE duty. We can get them off Amazon and they're cheap compared to a dedicated track pad.
Appreciate 0