BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #13685
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post

Car looks blissful here. I love it.
The sedan just looks so hot from the back.
      09-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #13686
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I’ll be doing more races in the future, so I’m shopping for a race suit and boots. Trying to decide between the Alpinestars GP Race V2 and OMP FIRST-S suits. Both are FIA 8856-2018 certified and 400 GSM, but AS is three layers while OMP is two layers. What are the pros and cons of going with a three layer? Regarding boots, if both are FIA 8856-2018 certified, what advantages does a $230 pair offer over a $130 pair? Comfort and quality?

More layers generally means more fire protection -- aka more time to get the F out of the car. It also gives them the ability to use a more comfortable inner material for better cooling, moisture wicking, etc. Find out what the specific layers are. I have seen cheap 3 layer suits use low-grade fabrics...in other words, they have to use 3 layers to obtain the same amount of protection of other 2 layer suits with better fabric. Given that we're talking Alpinestars and OMP, I doubt you'll see that.

I just looked at both of those suits and would be inclined to go with the Alpinestars since it seems like the extra layer helps with breathability. In the end, I'm sure both are good so try them both and buy the one that fits best or is most comfortable.

The more expensive boots tend to be lighter or just have nicer materials. I recently looked at $150 and $300 Sparco boots and could not justify spending double for a different lacing system and nicer leather. I would buy whatever is more comfortable, again.
      09-10-2020, 05:35 AM   #13687
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post
Same here. Plus it may reduce/eliminate hose rubbing.

I reached out to Megator about costs but just realized he's in the Netherlands. MagnusT posted the design files on thingiverse. Don't have access to a 3D printer without paying for some time nearby.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3566812

They did post a mini cooper scoop but runs around $60 per side.

https://new.minimania.com/part/NMB40...Mini-Cooper--S
Hey guys, im Megator and made some under arm cooling scoops for the F8X platform.

As ppatel14 says im in NL so shipping to the USA would be pretty expensive. In the end the minimania scoops will be a similar price and performance.

The scoops do seem to work, see my write up here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=159

My friend had them fitted to his F80 and went through the gravel without damaging or loosing the scoops. Mine have an integrated printed mesh that prevents rocks and stuff from being sucked up and blown into the rotors.

Very surprised by the Puretech backing plate and its inclusion of 3D printed parts. I would have thought that being that close to the brakes would result in the plastic melting/softening. I guess its fine so long as enough cooling air is being pumped through.

Idealy you would blow into the center of the brake discs but practically this is unfeasable and blowing onto the side is just as good for most of us track rats.

Deflectors ala Porsche GT3 or Corvette also work and have a noticable improvement My rear design is like this.
Attached Images

derbo3610.00
      09-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #13688
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Nice pics! What wing are you running? turbo_joe
Burkhart Engineering GT4 wing with their high rise mounts
      09-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #13689
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Hey guys, im Megator and made some under arm cooling scoops for the F8X platform.

As ppatel14 says im in NL so shipping to the USA would be pretty expensive. In the end the minimania scoops will be a similar price and performance.

The scoops do seem to work, see my write up here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=159

My friend had them fitted to his F80 and went through the gravel without damaging or loosing the scoops. Mine have an integrated printed mesh that prevents rocks and stuff from being sucked up and blown into the rotors.

Very surprised by the Puretech backing plate and its inclusion of 3D printed parts. I would have thought that being that close to the brakes would result in the plastic melting/softening. I guess its fine so long as enough cooling air is being pumped through.

Idealy you would blow into the center of the brake discs but practically this is unfeasable and blowing onto the side is just as good for most of us track rats.

Deflectors ala Porsche GT3 or Corvette also work and have a noticable improvement My rear design is like this.
I reached out a couple of 3D printing services online and on craigslist and I've gotten quotes between $65 to $300 for a set of brake scoops printed in ABS black, 20% infill, and 0.2-0.3mm layer height.

As for off the shelf products, the closest design (with outlet facing up) is from NERP which supply Paragon, Mini Mania, and Pelican Parts. There's a Porsche design which is shorter in length than the Mini design.

Porsche design is $52
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...944M&DID=58732

Mini design is $60

In addition, Pelican parts offers some other accessories such as a debris screen and hoses.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...BRKPRF_pg1.htm

Speaking of hoses, what length is suitable from the oulet to the inlet of the brake shield based on the scoop design?

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #13690
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

The scoops do seem to work, see my write up here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=159

I reached out a couple of 3D printing services online and on craigslist and I've gotten quotes between $65 to $300 for a set of brake scoops printed in ABS black, 20% infill, and 0.2-0.3mm layer height.

As for off the shelf products, the closest design (with outlet facing up) is from NERP which supply Paragon, Mini Mania, and Pelican Parts. There's a Porsche design which is shorter in length than the Mini design.

Porsche design is $52
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...&DID=58732

Mini design is $60

In addition, Pelican parts offers some other accessories such as a debris screen and hoses.

Speaking of hoses, what length is suitable from the oulet to the inlet of the brake shield based on the scoop design?
I'm very curious about these, seems way easier than migrating hosing from the front. But with a lip/splitter these probably aren't getting access to the desired airflow. Also, like the idea of a plug for the bumper inlets for street driving or cooler track days.
      09-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #13691
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Who did you get quotes from? Do they offer "scanning" services too?
      09-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #13692
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Porsche design is $52
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...944M&DID=58732

Mini design is $60

Printing specs are similar to mine (I do 0.2mm layer height, 0.3 is too rough for my design).

The length of the hose needed will depend on your backing plate but we needed 60-65cm (roughly 2 feet) of hose per side.
      09-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #13693
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Who did you get quotes from? Do they offer "scanning" services too?
Got quotes from various online services where I just uploaded the .stl files. Cheapest are the craigslist folks but prob dont offer scanning services. Most established 3D printing businesses near me offer scanning services.

I also looked up makerspaces nearby along with some public libraries that offer 3D printing but most require some type of training and/or fee. Incorporating machine limitations, learning, and post processing of items, it wasn't worth my time for this option. Rather just pay someone to 3D print or get something off the shelf.

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #13694
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Incorporating machine limitations, learning, and post processing of items, it wasn't worth my time for this option. Rather just pay someone to 3D print or get something off the shelf.
This is an often overlooked aspect of 3D printing. I have been doing it for close to a decade as a hobiest (and as part of a startup) and even though things have improved a lot and there are many online resources its still "experimental".

For example my scoop design incorporates support ribs that are there to help print overhangs that are then removed after printing. I only knew I needed them after printing one part and seeing that some overhangs were not as pretty as I would want them.

Thats a part "lost" at a material cost of 5-10E and several hours machine time.

A big part like the brake scoops takes a long time to print (5+ hours) and the longer a print takes the more chances of it failing (mainly due to heat buildup and related issues).

All of this to say that if you are 3D printing only this one job, it is in no way worth it, even if you have a ready to go design.
      09-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #13695
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Why wouldn't this work? https://new.minimania.com/part/NMB40...Mini-Cooper--S seems like a simple solution that won't interfere with much
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      09-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #13696
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Why wouldn't this work? https://new.minimania.com/part/NMB40...Mini-Cooper--S seems like a simple solution that won't interfere with much
I think as noted above, it definitely does! Just depends on your risk tolerance for clearance, and or lip/splitters.
      09-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #13697
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Finally feeling better so I'm back to preparing for track season next year. I've been slacking on oil changes with two full track days and most of the year on the current oil so I've got that kit ordered.

The car had a slight fall when it was unbalanced on two jack stands but no noticeable damage. Just to be safe, I'm considering the 10 piece front control arms and the equivalent package for rear as well just to have them all refreshed.

I haven't seen any DIYs on the control arms for the E9x M3s. Is too tedious for most people to do and that's why there's no DIYs or is it the opposite?
Appreciate 3
dparm3850.50
roastbeef11586.00
kyippee1073.00
      09-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #13698
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Finally feeling better so I'm back to preparing for track season next year. I've been slacking on oil changes with two full track days and most of the year on the current oil so I've got that kit ordered.

The car had a slight fall when it was unbalanced on two jack stands but no noticeable damage. Just to be safe, I'm considering the 10 piece front control arms and the equivalent package for rear as well just to have them all refreshed.

I haven't seen any DIYs on the control arms for the E9x M3s. Is too tedious for most people to do and that's why there's no DIYs or is it the opposite?
It's stupid easy. Just make sure any rubber inboard bushing will require the suspension to be loaded when torquing.

Just use https://www.newtis.info/ since its just a remove and replace.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
Ximian1929.50
      09-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #13699
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
More layers generally means more fire protection -- aka more time to get the F out of the car. It also gives them the ability to use a more comfortable inner material for better cooling, moisture wicking, etc. Find out what the specific layers are. I have seen cheap 3 layer suits use low-grade fabrics...in other words, they have to use 3 layers to obtain the same amount of protection of other 2 layer suits with better fabric. Given that we're talking Alpinestars and OMP, I doubt you'll see that.

I just looked at both of those suits and would be inclined to go with the Alpinestars since it seems like the extra layer helps with breathability. In the end, I'm sure both are good so try them both and buy the one that fits best or is most comfortable.

The more expensive boots tend to be lighter or just have nicer materials. I recently looked at $150 and $300 Sparco boots and could not justify spending double for a different lacing system and nicer leather. I would buy whatever is more comfortable, again.
Thanks. Yeah I wasn’t sure if the third layer is there just to meet the same minimum standard that the two layer suit meets. Reading AS’s description, we both seem to agree they’re implying that it’ll offer better comfort and safety. Is there a way to confirm that? At +$100, I would hope so.

Competition Motorsport is pretty close to me, but I’m set on buying from a European store bc it’s much cheaper. I would feel bad for wasting their time and only buying a pair of $35 socks to make up for it. The next best method is probably to take good measurements and hope the suit and boots fit. The OMP ONE-S looks really nice in white and will go well with my white/red theme.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #13700
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah I wasn’t sure if the third layer is there just to meet the same minimum standard that the two layer suit meets. Reading AS’s description, we both seem to agree they’re implying that it’ll offer better comfort and safety. Is there a way to confirm that? At +$100, I would hope so.

Competition Motorsport is pretty close to me, but I’m set on buying from a European store bc it’s much cheaper. I would feel bad for wasting their time and only buying a pair of $35 socks to make up for it. The next best method is probably to take good measurements and hope the suit and boots fit. The OMP ONE-S looks really nice in white and will go well with my white/red theme.

CMS provides discounts to NASA members.

Is the European store price including import duties/taxes to the US? Most of the time it doesn't. Plus, what is your plan in case it doesn't fit or you don't like it. I'm just a fan of supporting local business even if it means spending a few extra bucks.
DRLane3991.50
      09-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #13701
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Is the European store price including import duties/taxes to the US? Most of the time it doesn't. Plus, what is your plan in case it doesn't fit or you don't like it. I'm just a fan of supporting local business even if it means spending a few extra bucks.
I’m not a NASA member. ��

No import tax if value of contents is under $800. And the price shipped from Europe is 1/3 less than what I’d pay in the US. I’ll just hope I took good measurements and that it’ll fit well..like I do with many things I buy lol.

I’m not a believer in “support your local businesses” for some things. Why would I pay $800 for a handgun at my local store when I can buy it online for $400? Or $2k for a road bike when I can get one online for $1.5k? Just a couple of examples. C A P I T A L I S M. I’ll drop by CMS soon to check some things out and inquire about the pricing difference for suits. I imagine the added cost is due to the logistics and import fees rather than greed.

Maelstrom is a good dude and I’ve bought things from him in the past. I’m happy to support him, even if I buy a suit from Europe. Most likely buying a race seat from him soonish.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #13702
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:
I’m not a NASA member. ��

No import tax if value of contents is under $800. And the price shipped from Europe is 1/3 less than what I’d pay in the US. I’ll just hope I took good measurements and that it’ll fit well..like I do with many things I buy lol.

I’m not a believer in “support your local businesses” for some things. Why would I pay $800 for a handgun at my local store when I can buy it online for $400? Or $2k for a road bike when I can get one online for $1.5k? Just a couple of examples. C A P I T A L I S M. I’ll drop by CMS soon to check some things out and inquire about the pricing difference for suits. I imagine the added cost is due to the logistics and import fees rather than greed.

Maelstrom is a good dude and I’ve bought things from him in the past. I’m happy to support him, even if I buy a suit from Europe. Most likely buying a race seat from him soonish.
Just be aware on sizing on suits from Alpinestars / OMP is more of a "euro" fit. Sparco has a bit looser size fit more akin to USA sizing. Just something to be aware of.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #13703
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a NASA member. ��

No import tax if value of contents is under $800. And the price shipped from Europe is 1/3 less than what I'd pay in the US. I'll just hope I took good measurements and that it'll fit well..like I do with many things I buy lol.

I'm not a believer in "support your local businesses" for some things. Why would I pay $800 for a handgun at my local store when I can buy it online for $400? Or $2k for a road bike when I can get one online for $1.5k? Just a couple of examples. C A P I T A L I S M. I'll drop by CMS soon to check some things out and inquire about the pricing difference for suits. I imagine the added cost is due to the logistics and import fees rather than greed.

Maelstrom is a good dude and I've bought things from him in the past. I'm happy to support him, even if I buy a suit from Europe. Most likely buying a race seat from him soonish.
I'd say it just depends on how much you value your local community vs CAPITALISM. I'm sure CMS does substantially more to directly positively impact your track days and races. When these businesses are gone, they're gone. And then its all "bring it back, make it great", bla bla noise.

Ever considered reaching out and asking if CMS could get close to the shipped alternative?
      09-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #13704
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
Just be aware on sizing on suits from Alpinestars / OMP is more of a "euro" fit. Sparco has a bit looser size fit more akin to USA sizing. Just something to be aware of.
Ooh, thanks! I prefer a tighter fitting suit, so that’s perfect (am athletic build).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'd say it just depends on how much you value your local community vs CAPITALISM. I'm sure CMS does substantially more to directly positively impact your track days and races. When these businesses are gone, they're gone. And then its all "bring it back, make it great", bla bla noise.

Ever considered reaching out and asking if CMS could get close to the shipped alternative?
Eh, if the difference in price is small, no biggie. But a $200-400 difference? I’m going with the cheapest vendor. CMS couldn’t get close to the European vendor’s price on the suit, but I did end up buying boots and socks from them today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #13705
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Hey guys, what are some tracks around the USA that offer arrive and drives or heck even some pace laps if I brought a rental car.

I am trying to check off some tracks around the USA. I know there are some arrive and drive exotic car programs like Xtreme Xperience, but what other low key options are there.

I forgot what the program was, but I remember one group would do a legit track day, but you could pay like X amount for 1 lap to get a "test" in, but that was pre-COVID and I dont remember seeing that in recent years. I know it wasn't Track Night in America, but I don't remember who it was.

Basically looking to see if I am on vacation somewhere in the USA within earshot of a track, what tracks out there would let me get a lap in to "check the box".
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 11:56 PM   #13706
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

NorCal: https://www.spmsracing.com/arrive-drive-experience
Appreciate 0