BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Toe links and/or lower control arms

Wondering if anyone could chime in with some feedback on how toe links effect street driving?

These help the rear end planted, and helps prevent the rear wheels from skipping/bouncing around on the pavement when hard accelerating, correct?

And how do stiffer lower control arms on effect street driving? Even necessary?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Toe links eliminate the eccentric bolt and help to maintain toe setting. I don't think it helps with wheel hop. To eliminate wheel hop you need to get rid of the big rubber bushes in the rear suspension. The subframe bushes and diff bushes are the main culprits here. I think solid subframe bushes and stiffer diff bushes will help eliminate wheel hop.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #3
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

So what exactly do stiffer toe links do? And stiffer lower control arms?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
So what exactly do stiffer toe links do? And stiffer lower control arms?
They are stiffer by design but the stiffness does very little benefit. It's not like the oem are flexing a ton.
On the toe link the benefit is greater adjustment setting. It already has mono-ball ends. On other control arm you gain the same thing and in addition you get mono-ball on both ends, because the Oem comes with bushing on hub side and mono-ball on frame side.
Removing control arms with bushings and adding control arms with spherical mono-ball ends can help with reducing wheel hop. But wheel hop will never go away.
I have every Bushing removed still get a little wheel hop.
Honestly wheel hop occurs because high grip is present. If you completely want to eliminate it, increase tire pressure by a couple psi. But honestly only thing you are doing with that is reducing the amount of grip the tire makes so it won't flex as much and cause the hop.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Hmm okay, so what does adjusting the toe links do? How does effect driving dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Hmm okay, so what does adjusting the toe links do? How does effect driving dynamics?
It Adjusts your rear wheel toe setting. There is isn't one adjustable that is Goldilocks setting.
Personally I like a bit toe in. Factory setting is a bit toe in as well.

I get a feeling you don't need one.
If you looking too get better hook up in the rear and better feel just do subframe bushing upgrade. The best in my opinion. Improves overall feel
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Yeah if you don't know what a toe link is then the stock one is more than good enough for your requirements. To get rid of wheel hop solid subframe bushes are your best bet, and maybe stiffer diff bushes (as long as you can put up with some diff whine).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 12:48 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i agree with the others. if you want something you can feel while accelerating and cornering, get solid sub/diff bushings.