BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

opening warranty claim before doing rod bearing job.

Does anyone have experience with opening a claim with their aftermarket warranty company with the intent of getting reimbursed for the rod bearing job?
I'm going to be doing this and would love to hear some experiences.
      10-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I have a extended warranty though Premier Dealer Services and was wondering if this is something they will proactively pay for as well. The car has 32k miles on it and it would be nice to have it done for peace of mind however I doubt they would go for it based on some of the reviews I've seen of third party warranties.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
///Master
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW M3 Coupe

I dont know much about these aftermarket warranties but after I called one and got pricing it seems that they usually don't cover 'proactive' repairs, or things that we choose to repair before it breaks. Maybe someone else can chime in!
      10-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i don't think they will cover anything proactive... i wouldn't expect them to pay for a fishing expedition for bad parts, either.

i could, however, imagine a scenario where you claim there is something wrong with the car, and show them the evidence of such (the removed bad bearings), and the adjuster agreeing the bearings were bad and issuing a reimbursement. this is 1/2 theory and 1/2 fantasy, so we'll have to see what happens.
      10-24-2017, 12:52 AM   #5
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

I don’t have any first hand experience with warranties like you’re asking but I do know a lot about Insurance. There is a provision in Insurance that prevents clients from actively searching for covers causes of loss. This used to happen with Pollution Insurance: buyer closes escrow with a shovel in hand and then gets the insurance company to cleanup the site when they find known pollutants. They pay the 100k deductible and in turn increase the property value by 500k.

So I would expect the same logic to apply with the warranty. Just my $.02
      10-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Stop worrying. That is why you bought the warranty. When it expires, you pay to change the bearings or buy another warranty. The warranty company is not going to pay for servicing the rod bearings. It's odds are better that nothing will happen to them during the warranty term.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Stop worrying. That is why you bought the warranty. When it expires, you pay to change the bearings or buy another warranty. The warranty company is not going to pay for servicing the rod bearings. It's odds are better that nothing will happen to them during the warranty term.
the warranty is coming to an end soon. i won't be buying another one. other than our rb's, these cars are pretty solid. i track the car often and take 850+ mile trips up to nor cal to put 150 track miles on the car, then drive it back. i maintain it, but i ask a lot of it. aside from safety issues of my junk blowing up at a high speed, i don't want to be 400+ miles from home with a blown motor and have a vacation/track day ruined.
that said, i am coming to a crossroads. the warranty has provided good piece of mind over the last 2.5 years, but its time to either replace or pay for another warranty, and replacement is cheaper than the warranty with less threat of a major inconvenience.
      10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I felt the same way -- the CPO warranty on my 08 expired in 2014 and I changed the rod bearings immediately. It was about $500 in parts and a long day of my labor. The DIY has gotten pretty good thanks to SYT Shadow and a few have done the job in 8 hours or less.

I am hoping for a main bearing DIY. Deansbimmer has done a few. I will probably do it within the next few years. I am hoping that work can coincide with a clutch change since the trans has to come off and of course I will get to inspect my WPC treated aluminum rod bearings and replace them probably with BE.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

If the shop is accommodating, say you hear a slapping sound just off idle.
Have them open a case, or have shop open up the engine and then they can open up a case once they find the bearings are worn. It's more risky if they open up the engine first, but I've heard of this being done.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
E92_TYLER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT AW

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Correct, you need to first take the vehicle to a shop with a complaint of rod bearing failure such as slapping or vibration during idle. Then most likely your extended warranty will send an inspector out to verify if they find the bearings to show excessive wear.
99' E36 M3, 92' 240 RB26 408whp rocketbunny
03' SVT Cobra 481whp, 89' Fox 5.0 lx notch
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

This will be very complicated..
From what I know has every aftermarket warranty , inspectors/experts to determine after a mechanical investigation if there is a mechanical issue with the car in question .

And if the owner from the car in question has NOT the necessary described papers from the mechanical expertise with a positive agreement of the issue , the warranty will NEVER cover the expenses like in this case a bearing replacement.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0