BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
m3tor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

SportPlus disabled during run-in period?

Question for anyone else who has taken delivery....

I can't tell the difference between the 'Sport' and 'SportPlus' throttle settings. At constant throttle input, there's a noticeable difference between 'Normal' and 'Sport' (like on the E46 M3...without moving the throttle, if you press the Power button the car jumps forward). But if I change and save the MDrive settings from Sport to SportPlus I can't notice any difference at all.

Any thoughts? maybe SportPlus is disabled during the run-in period to discourage people winding up the engine to above the allowed rpm?... or maybe its more complicated and I'm just not noticing the difference.
2002 E46 M3 Carbon Black / Imola Red, 6 speed, 19s - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

You realize those settings simply affect the throttle mapping, and have nothing to do with power, right? Having said that, I have not seen some kind of diagram representing the mapping differences in between the three modes. It is possible that there is no difference between the Sport and SportPlus mapping for a certain throttle input range, and you are testing the car somewhere in that range. Have you tried testing at different throttle inputs? My car's on a ship, so I have no first hand experience on this...
      03-15-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
m3tor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
You realize those settings simply affect the throttle mapping, and have nothing to do with power, right? Having said that, I have not seen some kind of diagram representing the mapping differences in between the three modes. It is possible that there is no difference between the Sport and SportPlus mapping for a certain throttle input range, and you are testing the car somewhere in that range. Have you tried testing at different throttle inputs? My car's on a ship, so I have no first hand experience on this...
Thanks. Yes I know it has nothing to do with power/hp, just throttle mapping, like on my E46. Just trying to figure out the difference b/w Sport and SportPlus as I can't notice once at the lower revs/throttle inputs during break-in so not sure whether its that or it that its disable during run-in
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
If I were you, I'd be confused too. The sport button on the e46 m3 was easily noticeable when on and off.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I drove it in all three modes and there really didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference, although the engine made more pleasing sounds in sport plus and seemed more eager to rev. I will need more seat time to fully appreciate the differences, I'm sure. The thing that surprised me the most was the steering even in normal mode was amazing. Of course I'm coming from a 330i and not an E46 M3 as a point of reference.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
The thing that surprised me the most was the steering even in normal mode was amazing.

That is good news. I haven't been impressed with any current model BMW non-M steering, except for (gasp) Active Steering on the E60. I NEED quick steering!
      03-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
If I were you, I'd be confused too. The sport button on the e46 m3 was easily noticeable when on and off.
You have to be kidding. Was night and day on my E46 M3. Unfortunately I never got that car on the track but felt in general the sport throttle setting was way too touchy for street use (and probably even so for track use).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
m3tor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You have to be kidding. Was night and day on my E46 M3. Unfortunately I never got that car on the track but felt in general the sport throttle setting was way too touchy for street use (and probably even so for track use).
The difference between Normal and Sport is not as noticeable on the E92 as on the E46 (where it was, I agree, very noticeable). But the reason for my original question is that I can't tell any difference between Sport and SportPlus on the E92 so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing and/or whether maybe SportPlus is disabled during run-in for some reason
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I looked into this more on the way back from work. Can't really test it properly in a controlled fashion on public roads, but what I assumed in my post earlier (#2) seems to be the case. Meaning, at constant low partial throttle input, if you go from Normal --> Sport you feel the difference right away, but not when you go from Sport --> SportPlus. At constant somewhat higher partial throttle input, if you go from Sport --> SportPlus, there seems to be a difference again. Again, I can't be sure of this scenario since it is hard to test in on the streets. Also, I bet there are dynamic variables, meaning the rate at which you depress the pedal might have implications as well, which would really speak to engine response.

Anyway, the reason I am bumping this up is that I vaguely remember someone posting a chart illustrating the specifics of how these things are mapped. I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is? Does it even exist?
      03-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Normal to Sport is a BIG difference, both are quite manageable for DD.

Sport to Sport Plus is very hard to pick, you dont get that same "surge" at a constant throttle setting...What I have noticed is in Sport Plus the throttle is very very touchy in the first millimetres of travel...It is so sensitive, occasionally during slow crawls the car starts to jerk as my foot moves unintentionally with the jerk and squeezes/releases the throttle.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0