BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Full viel burqa banned in France

Well about time the French did something correct. They banned the full burqa, the one where the women look like ninjas, in France today and I think it's great. I'm sure the women wouldn't mind...Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Banning clothes is stupid unless it exposes some sort of private part.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I love ninjas
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I love ninjas
Haha. But going to a Wal-Mart or something late at night gets creepy when you're surrounded by them, I suppose after 9 pm the men allow them to leave the kitchens and bedrooms and that's when they go around town trying to make their lives a bit more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

I only buy it for a national security reason. The burqa is one of the largest symbols of the subjugation of women.

With that stated, I think releasing the fellow below would be more cost-effective.

04-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Banned in public places??? Why? because they feel threaten by people who cover their faces? OK. But what about ski mask or any kind of mask? Are they banned too? What about scarfs? You can call me metro-sexual, but I do like to wear a scarf on a sub-zero day. Wait, what about Halloween? No more going out with my power ranger mask? Thank god I'm not in France.

Last edited by jpsum; 04-11-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Releasing pac-man makes more sense...Stupid
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Veil
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
Banned in public places??? Why? because they feel threaten by people who cover their faces? OK. But what about ski mask or any kind of mask? Are they banned too? What about scarfs? You can call me metro-sexual, but I do like to wear a scarf on a sub-zero day. Wait, what about Halloween? No more going out with my power ranger mask? Thank god I'm not in France.

You're being slightly melodramatic, jpsum.

People aren't going to like it, but France has a problem with radical (mostly Arab) Muslims. The Arab street won't protest it, meanwhile threats start to grow of internal domination. Of course, France also created this problem with years of colonialism and state-sponsored racist policies.

Covering your face is a matter of security. If you were walking around all day in a public place with a ski mask on, you'll probably be stopped.

The issue with the burqa is a national security matter -- it's easy to smuggle items inside, has been used for years as a means of terrorists hiding or eluding authorities (in many cases for good reason) -- but identity is the main tenant. Look at other European countries which have banned covering the full face in public.

To be fair, France should have banned the full covering of faces in a public setting -- rather than explicitly calling it a "burqa ban" -- probably catering to their right-wing brethren and to the French citizens (there are many) who simply don't want Islam to dominate.

In any case, I'm not a fan of any religion but at the moment, Islam isn't casting itself in the best of lights... many reasons to this, but the end perception remains the same.
      04-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Veil
My bad. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
Well about time the French did something correct. They banned the full burqa, the one where the women look like ninjas, in France today and I think it's great. I'm sure the women wouldn't mind...Thoughts?
What I find funny is the way things are reported these days. The issue to consider here is: Is France discriminating against women who wear the veil?. People are being so quick to make this about something else, namely possible exploitation of women being forced to wear the veil.

The reason I find it so annoying is because we should be looking at the actions of France to decide whether or not they are discriminating. The issue of people being forced to wear the veil (while serious) is a totally separate issue. I love how the media are changing the subject.

Also, what you DON'T hear about is the women who do want to wear the veil. Personally, I don't believe it to be a requirement of Islam but I think people should be allowed to wear it if they want to. I've spoken to women from different places in the world who want to wear it as a personal choice.

I find it so funny that the media always tries to paint Islam in a bad light and create an assumption that women must be being oppressed. I remember a case over here (ongoing) in which a woman was not allowed to wear a cross necklace to work and at every court level it was found that it was not discriminatory behaviour by her employer (British Airways), yet the newspapers and politicians were quick to put pressure on BA to change their policy (which they did even though it was perfectly legal to ban ALL jewellery). In that case people started crying about human rights etc. yet in this situation people are forgetting all that and are trying to look at how women may be being oppressed and NOT looking at the real issue.

Last edited by hks786; 04-11-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlauCow View Post
To be fair, France should have banned the full covering of faces in a public setting -- rather than explicitly calling it a "burqa ban" -- probably catering to their right-wing brethren and to the French citizens (there are many) who simply don't want Islam to dominate.
This.

It is appalling that they would so blatantly call a specific religion out in this manner. Had they simply put a law into place that banned full face coverage there would not be this kind of controversy.

France failing again.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

It's a step forward but Cdnrockies has a good point.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Searcher821
I find stuff
Rep
Drives: Jet pack

The law pertains to all citizens, including men and non-Muslims, who may not cover their face fully in public except during established occasional events such as some carnivals or where specifically provided by law such as safety workers.

The only exceptions to a woman wearing a niqab in public will be if she is traveling in a private car or worshiping in a religious place.

I just saw a chart on how American students were ranked compared to other countries' students, and the only place the US scored first was on self esteem. The rest pretty much sucked, which I get confirmed over and over again from reading posts on this forum.

I am not French btw.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher821 View Post
The law pertains to all citizens, including men and non-Muslims, who may not cover their face fully in public except during established occasional events such as some carnivals or where specifically provided by law such as safety workers.
The only exceptions to a woman wearing a niqab in public will be if she is traveling in a private car or worshiping in a religious place.

I just saw a chart on how American students were ranked compared to other countries' students, and the only place the US scored first was on self esteem. The rest pretty much sucked, which I get confirmed over and over again from reading posts on this forum.

I am not French btw.
Could you please provide some documentation or links to the bolded statement?

Firstly, mainstream media sucks. It's all about hype, headlines and ratings.

Secondly, I just read another article claiming not that it's a security issue, but more of a social justice issue. How freakin' lame.

So is this a "security" issue or a "social justice" one???

Quote:
"Given the damage it produces on those rules which allow the life in community, ensure the dignity of the person and equality between sexes, this practice, even if it is voluntary, cannot be tolerated in any public place," the French government said when it sent the measure to parliament in May.
Even some of their own government realizes that this is wrong.

Quote:
The French Council of State has warned that the ban could be incompatible with international human rights laws and the country's own constitution. The council advises on laws, but the government is not required to follow its recommendations.
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-14/w...ar?_s=PM:WORLD
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #16
yeaJBL
VERSUS
Gabon
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels and engine

Finally. I don't think people understand that France is not a Muslim state in the Middle East.

When you immigrate to another country, you assimilate out of respect for the new country that is providing for you, rather than fight it. It is unbelievable that people will go to another country and wave the flag of their homeland in their newfound home, and no one can say anything because it's "racist".

European countries are not the USA. Each country has their own heritage, type of people, and culture. Butting in and covering your face is blatantly going against the culture that you reside WITH.

I have absolutely no problem with solidarity among all members of our human family. But when people knowingly disregard the culture and the way of life in the place that they chose to live in, it grinds my gears.

If you don't like the way of life in the country you immigrated to...GO BACK.

edit: Although I have never, and do not condone the actions that have taken place in the Middle East, but if they hate us so much I do not understand why they would immigrate to European countries.
      04-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaJBL View Post
Finally. I don't think people understand that France is not a Muslim state in the Middle East.

When you immigrate to another country, you assimilate out of respect for the new country that is providing for you, rather than fight it. It is unbelievable that people will go to another country and wave the flag of their homeland in their newfound home, and no one can say anything because it's "racist".

European countries are not the USA. Each country has their own heritage, type of people, and culture. Butting in and covering your face is blatantly going against the culture that you reside WITH.

I have absolutely no problem with solidarity among all members of our human family. But when people knowingly disregard the culture and the way of life in the place that they chose to live in, it grinds my gears.

If you don't like the way of life in the country you immigrated to...GO BACK.
So by your logic, Jewish people shouldn't be allowed to wear yarmulkes in France either since it's "waving the flag of their homeland" and not assimilating into the French culture?

Last edited by Cdnrockies; 04-12-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
yeaJBL
VERSUS
Gabon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
So by your logic, Jewish people shouldn't be allowed to wear yarmulkes in France either since it's "waving the flag of their homeland" and not assimilating into the French culture?

Try again, but make your racism a little less blatantly obvious please.
damn. good point.

I retract my last statement
      04-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #19
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaJBL View Post
damn. good point.

I retract my last statement
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick and will remove the latter part of my last statement.

Unfortunately, too many people in the world today are willing to blindly denigrate another culture or religion without considering the big picture. Sad really.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
yeaJBL
VERSUS
Gabon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick and will remove the latter part of my last statement.

Unfortunately, too many people in the world today are willing to blindly denigrate another culture or religion without considering the big picture. Sad really.
Yes that is true. It really is a pity we can't just get along. I was always convinced the opposite by my peers, but after seeing all of the things occurring in our world today I do try and have a different perspective on things. Although my post may have seemed harsh, I never intended for it to be.
      04-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #21
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Veil?

I'd say ban all the damn religions once and for all. We are in 21st century for .....Errrr ....???'ds sake.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #22
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
I'd say ban all the damn religions once and for all. We are in 21st century for .....Errrr ....???'ds sake.
/thread

end war...end religion.
Appreciate 0