BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

12-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Styral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Manual

Engine oil temp out of Range? Increased Emissions

Leaving work yesterday I started my car to leave like normal, sat at idle for about a minute. Nothing out of the ordinary, it ran smooth. (Temp was 18F)

Then before I could get out of the parking lot I got the dreaded "Increased Emissions" and the service engine soon light.

Since it was an emissions issue I just plugged a generic scanner into it and only got a single code. P0196 - Engine Oil Temperature out of Range

I reset it and it has no come back, well at least for today it hasn't.
I did some research and have yet to find someone that has gotten this code by itself, anyone have any input on what could have trigger the code?

Car shows no signs, oil temp needle looked normal, heat works great, and no idle issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styral View Post
Leaving work yesterday I started my car to leave like normal, sat at idle for about a minute. Nothing out of the ordinary, it ran smooth. (Temp was 18F)

Then before I could get out of the parking lot I got the dreaded "Increased Emissions" and the service engine soon light.

Since it was an emissions issue I just plugged a generic scanner into it and only got a single code. P0196 - Engine Oil Temperature out of Range

I reset it and it has no come back, well at least for today it hasn't.
I did some research and have yet to find someone that has gotten this code by itself, anyone have any input on what could have trigger the code?

Car shows no signs, oil temp needle looked normal, heat works great, and no idle issues.

Probably a sensor that's flaking out. The specific description for that code is "Engine Oil Temp Sensor CKT Range/Performance" which means it was basically reading an improper value (e.g. negative or something impossibly high like 50,000).

Just keep an eye on it.
      12-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Jobe.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Probably a sensor that's flaking out. The specific description for that code is "Engine Oil Temp Sensor CKT Range/Performance" which means it was basically reading an improper value (e.g. negative or something impossibly high like 50,000).

Just keep an eye on it.
Agreed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Update us if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

If you pull freeze frame data you may see a value like 150,000 degrees or whatnot which is probably sensor, maybe wiring to sensor
      01-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Styral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Manual

Not trying to revive this thread. This post just pops up if you google the e92 P0196 error code.

Update - I had the code cleared last year and it never came back. That was until last week (almost exactly 1 year later) it came up again. So I had it cleared, and it hasn't came up since.

My oil temperature gauge has always great, so until it comes up more than once per year i'll look into replacing it. So if someone else gets this code, I would suggest clearing it and see if it comes up again.
Appreciate 0