BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

01-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Anyone Fail Smog for Catback?

My e92 is stock except for an Akra cat back. It has passed CA smog a couple times already with the full stock exhaust system. But I recently added the Akra slip on. Am I going to visually fail? Looking for people that have tried getting smogged with a catback. Thx.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

No you will not fail visual .
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Well unfortunately it failed visual.

I suppose some STAR stations would pass it but this one wouldnt.

They said every part of the exhaust system needed some kind of carb certification and of course that's not on an akra slip.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ^^^^^

I have an Akra cat back and recently passed Smog. The visual check involved making sure I had cats.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I pass every time with eismann race. I think your smog tech is misinterpreting the rules. Can you take it to a different station or tech? Also be sure you have the stock software?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
I pass every time with eismann race. I think your smog tech is misinterpreting the rules. Can you take it to a different station or tech? Also be sure you have the stock software?
Thx for the feedback. Yeah the tune is stock. I passed smog 2 years ago. Nothing different except the Akra slip now.

Figured they were conservatively applying the rules. They were nice at least. They saw the pipes and prob heard me pull in and told me it wouldn't pass so don't even get the process started. So saved me that hassle and the $60 fee.
a couple others
Appreciate 1
0utlaw9.50
      01-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post

They said every part of the exhaust system needed some kind of carb certification and of course that's not on an akra slip.
That is idiotic. Go somewhere else, to a more competent station.
Appreciate 2
derbo3605.50
      01-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #8
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Akra catback here, no issue with smog.

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 2
derbo3605.50
      01-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #9
vma1788
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36s, 997, CT9a, AP1, F31

Just passed smog with a Corsa exhaust (factory x pipe).
Appreciate 2
JBird..165.50
      01-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Forum member pm'd me with a local STAR smog shop. No issues, got it done. Bimmerpost community ftw!
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:18 PM   #11
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:

Within the last year STAR stations have really tightened up. After talking to a local owner he mentioned that the state has been sending people to STAR stations to see if they pass with non-stock exhaust -- they've been revoking licenses if caught passing non-stock units.

Is it annoying for us, yes. But we can't blame the owners for tightening up.

There are always shops that will pass you no matter what. Glad you got this figured out!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 09:50 PM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird.. View Post
Quote:

Within the last year STAR stations have really tightened up. After talking to a local owner he mentioned that the state has been sending people to STAR stations to see if they pass with non-stock exhaust -- they've been revoking licenses if caught passing non-stock units.

There are always shops that will pass you no matter what. Glad you got this figured out!
In my case, it is just the muffler that was changed out. Stock tune, stock X pipe with all cats. I don't know the law here to argue one side or the other and maybe I'm still legal but perhaps some shops are just super gun shy on any exhaust modification for the reason you stated.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:57 PM   #13
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In my case, it is just the muffler that was changed out. Stock tune, stock X pipe with all cats. I don't know the law here to argue one side or the other and maybe I'm still legal but perhaps some shops are just super gun shy on any exhaust modification for the reason you stated.
Catback exhaust are completely legal in California from a smog law perspective because it does not modify any emissions equipment. To have a completely legal California exhaust, it should pass the sound test too.

It sucks that the technician did not know this and wasted your time.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
tigermack473.50
      01-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #14
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Catback exhaust are completely legal in California from a smog law perspective because it does not modify any emissions equipment. To have a completely legal California exhaust, it should pass the sound test too.

It sucks that the technician did not know this and wasted your time.
You bring up a very good point. I believe CA also has an exhaust decibel limit from what I gathered in my recent Internet searches on CA exhaust and emissions laws. However, what I couldn't find, is whether it the responsibility of the STAR station to enforce the decibel limit for non-stock muffler because the muffler MAY exceed decibel limits? Or is it the responsibility of the authorities (police) when a car appears to be exceeding db limits on the road?

Seems to me that the smog law and exhaust decibel limit law are two different things and the STAR station should only be testing for one of those. But I have no idea so I'm just stating my personal view not the actual law. Visited two STAR stations and for one it mattered and the other it didnt.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #15
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
You bring up a very good point. I believe CA also has an exhaust decibel limit from what I gathered in my recent Internet searches on CA exhaust and emissions laws. However, what I couldn't find, is whether it the responsibility of the STAR station to enforce the decibel limit for non-stock muffler because the muffler MAY exceed decibel limits? Or is it the responsibility of the authorities (police) when a car appears to be exceeding db limits on the road?

Seems to me that the smog law and exhaust decibel limit law are two different things and the STAR station should only be testing for one of those. But I have no idea so I'm just stating my personal view not the actual law. Visited two STAR stations and for one it mattered and the other it didnt.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Smog_Check_Program/FAQ

Quote:
I received a citation for modified emissions controls or vehicle exhaust noise levels. How do I obtain a certificate of compliance?
If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code sections 27156 (modified emissions controls) or 27150 or 27151 (modified/loud exhaust), you must take your vehicle to a Smog Check Referee for inspection and complete any necessary repairs. For more information and to schedule an appointment, visit www.asktheref.org.
I forgot to clarify that they are two isolated requirements for an exhaust to be legal. Thanks for that. Only a SMOG Referee station can test compliance on noise levels.

That said, the smog station has a right to say no. Sucks but just take it to somewhere else as your car legal from an emission standpoint.

Quote:
Can the station refuse to inspect my vehicle?
Yes, the station is authorized to refuse a vehicle that is determined to be unsafe to inspect.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1