BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

11-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Autocar's impressions of the RS5

I know this has been discussed on the M3 vs section of the forum but here I would much prefer to talk about their impressions of the RS5 and maybe, if everything remains pleasant and peaceful we might discuss the comparisons of the two cars in the video.

The RS5

Engine : They were very impressed by the RS5's low and mid range which is some going for an engine that revs to 8500rpm, FSi doing it's stuff no doubt.

Transmission: On the whole it was very good, though they did notice it having a delay on downshifts during the lap which could be a problem if you intent to track the car on a regular basis.

Chassis & Drivetrain : This was highly praised by the driver, stating how well the car hide it's weight which we all know is considerable and viewing the video you can see that it's extremely stable and well planted to the road, credit must be directed at the new quattro system with it's total torque vectoring system and sportsdiff. Another note worth mentioning is that they reckoned the car give added confidence to push harder without fear of losing it's composure.

Overall : They rate it the best Audi since the R8, in other words it's even better than the RS4 which must be pleasing Audi since this was the car intended to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I think that video sums up whats left to discuss in terms of the RS5 and the M3. RS5 is a bit quicker and has more traction but lacks some feel when it comes to the steering. It also hides its weight quite well and has a great sounding engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
I think that video sums up whats left to discuss in terms of the RS5 and the M3. RS5 is a bit quicker and has more traction but lacks some feel when it comes to the steering. It also hides its weight quite well and has a great sounding engine.
I don't think its quicker, this is the first review that says it is. It's a great car anyways, and regardless of who came out on top, I think we can all agree thats not how you review two cars to see which one is quicker.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem

Last edited by Mahmood07; 11-08-2010 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Being fractionally quicker in the real world actually does make sense. When you're trying to put down 400+ horsepower in a tight, slow corner you'll no doubt have a harder time keeping up with a car that's dividing a similar level of power between four wheels.

Worth noting: the RS5 had the traction advantage through the slower corners, but they say the M3's balance allows it to keep up through the faster bends.

Either car looks like a great package. Wish they tested an RS5 with one of the two optics packages though. I think this one looks a bit bloated without the accents breaking things up.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Wow, the Audi definitely looks well planted. But I wonder which would be the most fun to drive in the everyday world of ownership sort of thing. That's going to be pretty subjective of course.

I've always liked the subtlety of the Audi's design. But seeing them together like that, I sort of like the M3 better. I still have a hard time getting around that giant big mouth front grill on the Audi. And with USA plates (or no plates) it looks even worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Wow, the Audi definitely looks well planted. But I wonder which would be the most fun to drive in the everyday world of ownership sort of thing. That's going to be pretty subjective of course.
Everyday ownership is great on both, having had an M3 I would rate it painless on the pocket (apart from fuel) and did everything one expected from a sports coupe. Likewise the RS5 should be just as good, it won't offer the same kind of entertainment on the track as the M3 but on the road it will feel very similar, just offer a bit better traction out of corners and allow you to get on the power a bit earlier on exiting said corners.

Quote:
I've always liked the subtlety of the Audi's design. But seeing them together like that, I sort of like the M3 better. I still have a hard time getting around that giant big mouth front grill on the Audi. And with USA plates (or no plates) it looks even worse.
Looks are subjective, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:

the m3 is definitely more fun and provide more feel. this is confirmed by many reviewers. i also think the m3 is better looking.

but i think on the street, the rs5 is more usable as it awd will prevent you from sliding all over place. safer to drive as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
the m3 is definitely more fun and provide more feel. this is confirmed by many reviewers. i also think the m3 is better looking.

but i think on the street, the rs5 is more usable as it awd will prevent you from sliding all over place. safer to drive as well.
And if you live in coler climates or where the winter is unforgiving like here in Canada, awd would be a big bonus.

offtopic, dude I think I see ur car driving around Toronto at least once or twice a week lol >_>
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
And if you live in coler climates or where the winter is unforgiving like here in Canada, awd would be a big bonus.

offtopic, dude I think I see ur car driving around Toronto at least once or twice a week lol >_>
hahah, it's my DD. duh
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I must admit that if I were to base my opinion on this video as to which car looked best then I would indeed pick the M3. Just shows you what having the right paint/rims combination can do for a car. Red is one colour I hate an Audi in, it suits silvers and muted tones.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
hahah, it's my DD. duh
How the heck do I know that, I only drive on the weekends :P
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I must admit that if I were to base my opinion on this video as to which car looked best then I would indeed pick the M3. Just shows you what having the right paint/rims combination can do for a car. Red is one colour I hate an Audi in, it suits silvers and muted tones.
you are right about the color and rims. the rs5 is actually very good looking.
http://jalopnik.com/5476298/audi-rs5-aluminum-und-mean

black or dark grey are the color for the rs5. with a better rims, it can look menacing.
Appreciate 0