BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

09-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Polishing Compound "Fling"

Every now and then I'll slip-up and pick a spinning orbital polisher up off the surface with a little wet compound on the pad... and it flings dots of compound all over the garage walls, cabinets, door, etc. Such a hassle I no longer use an orbital much and when I do it's outside on the driveway in the early morning shade.

What do you guys do to avoid "fling"???

Is it inevitable or am I just not doing something right?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I am not saying that my method is the correct, but here's how i attempt to avoid the "fling" you describe. I have a spray bottle of filtered water handy (our regular water is heavy in minerals so causes etched water spots, hence my using filtered water). I use this to spray the pad so that it is a little moist, not dripping with water, but just enough to soften the surface of the pad. I then place my compound polish on the pad in concentric circles, about half the thickness you would have coming out of a tube of toothpaste, the circles are about one inch apart. I place my polishing pad on the vehicle surface and start with a slow speed, gradually speeding up, and never lifting off of the surface of the vehicle. This seems to greatly lessen the chance of the polish fling, and means that I can do the job inside! It also might be as simple as you placing a little too much compound on your pad, this happened to me on Saturday when I was buffing out a scrape on the wife's A7, was trying to do it quickly, car was outside and I used a little too much compound and got rewarded with the fling that you describe.
Appreciate 1