BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-29-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
FTP20
Private
Rep
Drives: Four door ///M

Adding DAC to improve BT streaming audio quality?

I am wondering if an external DAC unit could be used to improve the streaming audio quality from my iPhone 15 to the factory iDrive CCC system in my 2008 M3?

I tried the BOVEE WMA3000B and the BMW stream2air A2DP adapters but found the loss in sound quality too much to accept so I am back to connecting my iPhone via the USB under the center armrest.

Somewhere on Bimmerpost I read about incorporating a Fiio BTR5 2022 Bluetooth to improve steaming audio quality. Is this possible for my situation or did I misunderstand the implementation ?

https://www.fiio.com/btr5
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 04:40 PM   #2
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

If you can stream through the USB (not the aux) then you will never get better quality with anything else.

But it sounds like your goal is wireless.

I have heard people using bluetooth DACs to AUX input with "slightly better than regular AUX" results.

One guy set up an Apple Airport, then to a DAC, then to AUX. His goal was to use Apple Music's "lossless" format. I think the quality of new bluetooth DACs has about reached that level though.

At that point, I think the best solution is a mr12volt. It outputs audio via fiber optic cable directly into the back of the stereo so you can get lossless quality. Plus wireless Apple CarPlay is nice. There is a CCC version and I have heard it's a teeny bit clunky, but there is a new version out now.

What is your goal here?

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Interesting discussion!

I used a Fiio BTR DAC for Bluetooth to Aux in before. There's a few finicky things you need to do like set it up to turn on with USB power and turn off when USB powers off. This is in the settings when you connect your phone to the App but you need to manually set it - it is not on by default. The sound quality is good with headphones with the Fiio, but in a car, it needs Line Level output. These DACs are designed to drive headphones so are amplified. When connected to a car, it will work but it will not sound good. Usually the highs get cut off and the bass get blown out because the car is expecting line level output but is getting a high power signal designed to drive headphones. Turning the volume up and down, messing with the EQ settings does not help.

Things like the "Bovee" ones provide line level output but their bluetooth connection and built in DAC is terrible.

So my solution was the "TUNAI Firefly LDAC Bluetooth" adapter for aux in. It has Bluetooth 5.0 and a high bit rate Sony LDAC that provides Line Level Aux Output. It is not designed to drive headphones. It also is designed for car use so it will turn on and off with USB power. This solved my issues and the audio is as good as the original BMW Y cable that used to work with iPhone 30 pin connector. I sold my Fiio BTR and am happy with the cheaper and better TUNAI LDAC.

So if you are just after audio quality and not a screen replacement and Carplay retrofit, then this is a simple plug and play solution. It really makes me wonder why no one else makes quality DACs for car use with line level output. If a Bluetooth DAC says it works with headphones, run away - you don't want that in a car.

Last edited by Z K; 11-15-2023 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
CTMike262.00
Thumbie95.50
      11-15-2023, 05:57 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Oh, and to add to this, I originally wanted to use a home stereo/theater Bluetooth DAC before finding the Tunai.

Those all have line level output and excellent DACs but they are rather big and have a higher power requirement which I am not sure the USB plug under the arm rest would provide. Also, the RCA to 3.5mm and power cables would make my arm rest cubby a nest of cables.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/1Mii-Bluetoot.../dp/B0C3HKMRBS
      11-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #5
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It really makes me wonder why no one else makes quality DACs for car use with line level output. If a Bluetooth DAC says it works with headphones, run away - you don't want that in a car.
that actually is a really good point. I guess it's a bit of a niche market? It'd be perfect for our cars to have a higher-end option.

Although I suppose most don't care about best possible quality...I wish BMW didn't design a sound system that was so difficult to upgrade.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 1
Z K1888.50