BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

01-12-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
Matt Fojtik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [9.00]
Basic first auto x/track mods

I am looking to get into autocross this summer (at lime rock) along with some “real” track racing.

My car is an edc e92 m3 zcp that is completely stock suspension wise.
I was wondering what would be best to get me started.

The car is my daily so I can’t go completely crazy and I’m a student so I don’t have the highest of budgets lol

Would it be best to just do full coil overs or would springs be worth it? But I do really like my edc so that’s why I’m currently leaning towards springs.

Id also like to maybe do the sway bars too if that would be helpful, along with anything else that would be a nice. For brakes I have ss brake lines and srf in it already, but am on stock pads/rotors

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 07:54 PM   #2
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you like your edc and the dampers seem to be working alright at this age I’d do swift springs and tighten up the slop in the chassis through solid/spherical bushings and add an adjustable sway bar.

It’ll stiffen the chassis in some of the same ways you’d be getting from a nicer coil over set up.

Regarding brakes, you can run the fcp sponsorship program if you stay on stock components. Hawk DTC can be had from fcp. Carbotech also a great option for the money.

At a minimum even if you grab a front kit, staying stock in the rear is the wise budget move. It’s easily the highest cost for the least benefit on track (coming from someone with a front/rear kit)
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 09:07 PM   #3
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I’ve done a number of the autocross at LRP and you don’t ‘need’ to do anything to our cars to be quick enough to keep up with most. I’ve got coils and brakes but those were more so because I needed to replace worn out components and it made sense. Hope to see you out there this coming year.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 09:26 PM   #4
_paolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Carbotech XP10 front pads
Castrol SRF Brake fluid
Swift springs
Nt01's

The car drives well on track and street.
      01-12-2023, 09:29 PM   #5
Matt Fojtik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
If you like your edc and the dampers seem to be working alright at this age I’d do swift springs and tighten up the slop in the chassis through solid/spherical bushings and add an adjustable sway bar.

It’ll stiffen the chassis in some of the same ways you’d be getting from a nicer coil over set up.

Regarding brakes, you can run the fcp sponsorship program if you stay on stock components. Hawk DTC can be had from fcp. Carbotech also a great option for the money.

At a minimum even if you grab a front kit, staying stock in the rear is the wise budget move. It’s easily the highest cost for the least benefit on track (coming from someone with a front/rear kit)
What is the fcp sponsorship program? Is that their warranty program where you can keep replacing worn parts?
Also, is there any sway bar/or bushings (brands and specific spots) you’d recommend?
I know h&r is good since their solid, along with the Turner Uniball front bushing.
I was thinking about doing a bbk at some point but for a bit while I’m first starting out I doubt I’ll be fast enough to need it haha
Thank you very much for the help
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 09:32 PM   #6
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't do anything to the car. Attend events, talk to people, and wait to figure out what you really want or need. Use your limited budget for tires. Tires will be the first and most important change you can make to go faster.
Appreciate 6
rg122077.00
Cmassey3416.50
tigermack474.50
Azeka1285.50
      01-13-2023, 06:32 AM   #7
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea I joke that the fcp lifetime replacement program is my fluids sponsor.

For your first handful of events you don’t need to do anything crazy. odds are you won’t push the car beyond its capabilities first few times out (which is a good thing, these cars have a decently high ceiling in stock form)

Pads, fluids and tires are all the further you need to consider from the beginning.

My chassis suggestions were more of a recommendation when you get to the point of putting upgrade money into the car…some thrust arm monoballs, camber plates, swift springs, maybe a hotchkis front sway bar. Knock out some of the rubber in the back of the car (subframe, trailing arms, camber arm).
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Don't do anything to the car. Attend events, talk to people, and wait to figure out what you really want or need. Use your limited budget for tires. Tires will be the first and most important change you can make to go faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
Yea I joke that the fcp lifetime replacement program is my fluids sponsor.

For your first handful of events you don’t need to do anything crazy. odds are you won’t push the car beyond its capabilities first few times out (which is a good thing, these cars have a decently high ceiling in stock form)

Pads, fluids and tires are all the further you need to consider from the beginning.

My chassis suggestions were more of a recommendation when you get to the point of putting upgrade money into the car…some thrust arm monoballs, camber plates, swift springs, maybe a hotchkis front sway bar. Knock out some of the rubber in the back of the car (subframe, trailing arms, camber arm).
Listen to these guys^

You definitely do not need anything for your first AutoX, tracking would be a little different.

I would wager the car is above your skillset at the moment...It's above most people who drive performance cars.

Seat time is the best investment. I know that sounds boring, but it's true.

I have seen quite the spread in lap and autoX times with stock cars. That means the slower guy has room to improve before touching the car.

Ever see a Miata pass a Corvette? Happens all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 07:13 PM   #9
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Safety first.

Nomex gloves and shoes. Ditto balaclava - fire retardant pref, cotton if money is tight. Its what gets you out of the car.

The car is fine. Make sure maintenance is up to date and concentrate on improving the driver.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      01-14-2023, 06:09 PM   #10
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Step 1; figure out your budget. If you can't afford replacement tyres, new discs, pads at the very least on the front axle immediately after your first track day. Acquire more moolah or stick with AutoX.

Since it's your daily, availability and uptime is even more important. My advice is contrary to everyone else. At minimum, camber plates, alignment by someone who knows what they're doing, track pad, suitable brake fluid. Avoid the "while i'm there" methodology. Tools and learn to DIY is going to help with your budget. If you don't do camber plates, pull the pins.

Preferably a tyre/wheel on the harder side with decent silica in it for wet conditions that you can daily and won't mask overdriving such as Hankook RS4 or even the new AD09R if you have them there. Not too sure about US used market, but it seems M359/ZCP wheels are expensive and sought after. This way keeps them in good condition too if you do this. Heaps of advantages but the obvious ones are availability and cheaper consumable with 18's as well. If you decide it's not for you, easy to move them on.
      01-28-2023, 12:36 PM   #11
Sanchez14
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Consider some instruction as well sometime during your first summer. Driver mod has been the best bang for the buck for me personally. You can easily drop a couple seconds at a decent sized track as a beginner with some decent instruction. Your consumables will last longer too the more you learn how to not over drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 06:36 PM   #12
m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

Castrol SRF or Endless brake fluid

Pull the pins from your stock suspension so you can get a tad more camber

Choose a track pad for front and rear

That’s it. You don’t need to upgrade anything in your suspension.

You really only have to do brake fluid and pad.
Appreciate 1