BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #837
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
My kit included two variations of AUX cables - one that is wired directly into the CIC hard-wired AUX input (on the back of the CIC unit iself), and another that provides a 3.5mm male plug (to plug into the center console AUX port).
Here's the cable I'm missing:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A8YS5mNG5qnzxN5o6

Last edited by 808M; 01-05-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #838
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post
Quote:
My kit included two variations of AUX cables - one that is wired directly into the CIC hard-wired AUX input (on the back of the CIC unit iself), and another that provides a 3.5mm male plug (to plug into the center console AUX port).

I don't have that cable either.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #839
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
So hang on, just to recap here:

1)
The new unit allows the audio out from the Carplay/Android Auto box to pass through the AUX input on the CIC itself, eliminating the need to somehow route a cable to the armrest AUX port? But that only works if you don't have a Combox, since otherwise the CIC AUX port is disabled?

2)
On the other hand, this box can only use the OEM installed mic if the car DOES have a Combox, since it needs the Bluetooth connection?

I'm in the same boat as derbo here, as I only have 6FL and hands-free BT, but no Combox. I do have a Bluetooth USB/AUX adapter thingy which allows me to play music from my phone to the car speakers over BT, but seeing how specifically designed these boxes are, I doubt that would offer a solution.

3)
Are calls handled through this device or does it switch to the OEM system for that? I don't use Siri/Google Assistant all that much so if calls still work with the OEM mic I guess that'll do for me. (does the steering wheel button even work for Google Assistant?)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #840
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnygator View Post

1)
The new unit allows the audio out from the Carplay/Android Auto box to pass through the AUX input on the CIC itself, eliminating the need to somehow route a cable to the armrest AUX port? But that only works if you don't have a Combox, since otherwise the CIC AUX port is disabled?

2)
On the other hand, this box can only use the OEM installed mic if the car DOES have a Combox, since it needs the Bluetooth connection?

I'm in the same boat as derbo here, as I only have 6FL and hands-free BT, but no Combox. I do have a Bluetooth USB/AUX adapter thingy which allows me to play music from my phone to the car speakers over BT, but seeing how specifically designed these boxes are, I doubt that would offer a solution.

3)
Are calls handled through this device or does it switch to the OEM system for that? I don't use Siri/Google Assistant all that much so if calls still work with the OEM mic I guess that'll do for me. (does the steering wheel button even work for Google Assistant?)

1. From what I understand from the talk with the engineer and Michael, it doesn't even use the CIC back AUX, it just uses BT audio with Combox to transfer audio. If you don't have combox, it requires the 3.5mm AUX-IN and external mic.

2. The engineer said it uses BT-Audio to gain access to the OEM mic. Why normal BT Calling doesn't work is beyond me, but bummer none the less! The AUX-IN in the armrest for our non-Combox with 6FL goes to MULF2 module in the trunk. From what I can tell, you cannot have both 6FL and AUX IN the headunit working. You may be able to delete 6FL and the rear headunit AUX might work after recoding the CIC.

3. In the current situation, the OEM mic can still run BT calling if you switch over to it. Carplay audio will require the 3.5mm. Currently, I did not attach the external mic as I have no intention routing it again as I routed it for the older unit and removed it.

There are two possible solutions to my issue where I have 6FL but not combox.

a) Upgrade to Combox
b) Delete 6FL and recode CIC, lose USB functionality. I'm not clear if this is able to use OEM mic for Siri, etc.

I'm going with Option A. I already bought Kufatec adapters for $120 and going to buy a combox hopefully for $100 shipped. I guess this makes my car a 2011.5 now lol
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #841
rob10k8
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Have a e90 and installed two different rear view cameras

First one broke but it was a simple rear with parking lines. This one turned on right away when reversing

Second one I just installed was a fish eye with Sony low light sensor. Quality of this one was much better but it took ~5 seconds longer to boot up. Also the delay was camera turning on and not switching to the backup screen.

Not sure if your camera is oem or aftermarket.
My backup camera is OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #842
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by washere View Post
I don't have that cable either.
Would be an easy cable to make yourself, here's the pinout if its of any help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #843
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1)

2)

3)
1 - Yes, that is correct. However, neither AUX (via the rear of the CIC or the armrest AUX) is needed if you have combox with BT audio. I don't have either type of AUX currently wired in and am using carplay every day now.

2 - Yes. You do need combox with BT audio to use it in a true wireless fashion. I don't know if an aftermarket BT audio solution such as the Tune2Air etc would work, as I don't know how the carplay unit is identifying the BMW factory bluetooth system before switching over to it (which it doesn't reliably do, this is what they're addressing in the software update).

3 - If using it in its true wireless fashion, then it switches over to the factory BMW bluetooth telephone for phone calls and for Siri. If using it wired via AUX, it would require you use the extra mic they include with the unit, or you could manually switch your audio source over to the BT telephone connection each time. I can't comment on Android Auto/Google Assistant yet, but I do have a Pixel 3 XL on the way which will arrive on Tuesday, so I can test it out then. I chose the Pixel 3 as it is one of Google's "officially supported" phones for wireless android auto.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #844
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:

1)

2)

3)

1. From what I understand from the talk with the engineer and Michael, it doesn't even use the CIC back AUX, it just uses BT audio with Combox to transfer audio. If you don't have combox, it requires the 3.5mm AUX-IN and external mic.

2. The engineer said it uses BT-Audio to gain access to the OEM mic. Why normal BT Calling doesn't work is beyond me, but bummer none the less! The AUX-IN in the armrest for our non-Combox with 6FL goes to MULF2 module in the trunk. From what I can tell, you cannot have both 6FL and AUX IN the headunit working. You may be able to delete 6FL and the rear headunit AUX might work after recoding the CIC.

3. In the current situation, the OEM mic can still run BT calling if you switch over to it. Carplay audio will require the 3.5mm. Currently, I did not attach the external mic as I have no intention routing it again as I routed it for the older unit and removed it.

There are two possible solutions to my issue where I have 6FL but not combox.

a) Upgrade to Combox
b) Delete 6FL and recode CIC, lose USB functionality. I'm not clear if this is able to use OEM mic for Siri, etc.

I'm going with Option A. I already bought Kufatec adapters for $120 and going to buy a combox hopefully for $100 shipped. I guess this makes my car a 2011.5 now lol
I'm interested in adding a combox and have 6FL. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #845
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Hi! I’ve posted this some weeks ago but haven’t got any response. I have the second version. Everything works perfect with the last update Michael sent me (dated Oct 2019) except the WiFi connection. Seems like the connection is very weak. Audio cuts constantly and if I walk out of the car at 1m CarPlay stops working. Is anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #846
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I'm interested in adding a combox and have 6FL. Keep us updated!
It should be straight forward as I've seen from my research.

1. remove TCU/MULF
2. terminate extra MOST loop
3. Install Combox
4. Code Combox to your vin with checksum
5. Add the Vehicle orders for combox, delete SOS, add enhanced bt
6. FA write to CAS and NFRM
6. Code CIC and KOMBI.

brettcp , I don't think Tune2Air will work since it is purely a reciever not so much a 2 way audio mechanism that the ACP unit expects.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #847
808M
Rep

Quote:
Would be an easy cable to make yourself, here's the pinout if its of any help.
Thanks.. That looks straightforward enough.. I'm waiting on a response from kremersino about them shipping me a cable but may build my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:54 AM   #848
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

brettcp derbo Thank you both for your replies! It is in fact the Tune2Air that I have, thinking I was being smart by not having to go all the way with installing a Combox for BT audio...

I guess getting a Combox is the way to go then if you want this unit to integrate as neatly as possible, without losing any factory functionality (e.g. 6FL).
I'm seeing a 'bimmer-tech Combox retrofit kit' that would set me back at least 800 dollars (for an E89), and I imagine getting one from the dealership would be even more expensive.
So much for this being a relatively straightforward mod to get awesome new functionality
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:57 AM   #849
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
1 - Yes, that is correct. However, neither AUX (via the rear of the CIC or the armrest AUX) is needed if you have combox with BT audio. I don't have either type of AUX currently wired in and am using carplay every day now.

2 - Yes. You do need combox with BT audio to use it in a true wireless fashion. I don't know if an aftermarket BT audio solution such as the Tune2Air etc would work, as I don't know how the carplay unit is identifying the BMW factory bluetooth system before switching over to it (which it doesn't reliably do, this is what they're addressing in the software update).

3 - If using it in its true wireless fashion, then it switches over to the factory BMW bluetooth telephone for phone calls and for Siri. If using it wired via AUX, it would require you use the extra mic they include with the unit, or you could manually switch your audio source over to the BT telephone connection each time. I can't comment on Android Auto/Google Assistant yet, but I do have a Pixel 3 XL on the way which will arrive on Tuesday, so I can test it out then. I chose the Pixel 3 as it is one of Google's "officially supported" phones for wireless android auto.
Could you test the airplay mirroring and android mirroring too? Are they working without AUX, if you have Combox BT audio?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #850
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
brettcp derbo Thank you both for your replies! It is in fact the Tune2Air that I have, thinking I was being smart by not having to go all the way with installing a Combox for BT audio...

I guess getting a Combox is the way to go then if you want this unit to integrate as neatly as possible, without losing any factory functionality (e.g. 6FL).
I'm seeing a 'bimmer-tech Combox retrofit kit' that would set me back at least 800 dollars (for an E89), and I imagine getting one from the dealership would be even more expensive.
So much for this being a relatively straightforward mod to get awesome new functionality
I believe a brand new unit is $400 for the box. The bimmertech one is $800 but it comes with support to do the coding legwork if you aren't comfortable doing it.

Combox could be had for $100, and if you want to repin, parts could be less than $60. I opted for adapters from Kufatec so it was about $120 bringing my total to $220.

I tried the tune2air with it, and it doesn't work as I assumed due to the lack of 2-way communication.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #851
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

You can buy a combox for like $100 on ebay or whatever.
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      01-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #852
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You can buy a combox for like $100 on ebay or whatever.
I just bought one from ebay today!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #853
washere
Private
Rep

Anyone have issues with (the G3 device) not giving navigation directions. It pauses the music (playing from carplay) as if it is going to announce the directions, but then it is just silient, and then starts playing the music again when it "should" be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #854
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have issues with (the G3 device) not giving navigation directions. It pauses the music (playing from carplay) as if it is going to announce the directions, but then it is just silient, and then starts playing the music again when it "should" be done.
Yes, the same thing happens with siri (no ding tone from siri, and the factory mic isn't listening, but when it times out it goes back to the music) this is part of the audio switching issue they're supposedly working on.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #855
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the same thing happens with siri (no ding tone from siri, and the factory mic isn't listening, but when it times out it goes back to the music) this is part of the audio switching issue they're supposedly working on.
Great... If they had sent me the stupid aux plug, I would just use that at this point. I wired the mic in, so I have that already. I also have a cable running back to the aux port. I may tap the existing cable. But I would certainly prefer a plug...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #856
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you having this 100% of the time? I am.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #857
washere
Private
Rep

In case anyone is still interested in getting the backup to work... I can confirm that it does not. As a test, I grabbed an old VCR (which I tested to make sure it output CVBS correctly) and hooked it up to the backup input. Still a blank screen during reverse. So that is the answer to that. I suspect the issue is that their camera is PAL and all the other ones out there are NTSC. But that is just speculation.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #858
808M
Rep

Quote:
In case anyone is still interested in getting the backup to work... I can confirm that it does not. As a test, I grabbed an old VCR (which I tested to make sure it output CVBS correctly) and hooked it up to the backup input. Still a blank screen during reverse. So that is the answer to that. I suspect the issue is that their camera is PAL and all the other ones out there are NTSC. But that is just speculation.
That helps a ton! Now I don't have to dig out my Wii to test it myself.
Appreciate 0