BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #11727
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Very cool - thanks for sharing
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #11728
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
roastbeef slicer

I picked up my car from Racewerkz yesterday and have some weights for you guys.

Stock radiator fan- 10.62lbs
Spal fan- between 2 and 3 lbs
For those wondering, the Spal fan is part # 30100400

The complete electric power steering pump conversion only saves 4lbs because the electric pump is actually heavier. The electric pump used is from a Mercedes A class (W168) which was impossible to find new. I settled on a refurbished one I found on eBay.

The total savings ended up being 30lbs off the nose because the A/C compressor was finally able to be removed since it shares a pulley with the stock power steering.

I'm going to willow springs on Friday, but from the quick drive around the block, the steering feels heavier. Added bonus-the fan and pump are routed to some new switches on the dash! #race

Pics- new pump with custom bracket, old fan plus weight, new fan's box
Good info - thanks for sharing the weights.
I will note though, you can remove the AC compressor while using the stock power steering pump, you just need to get a shorter belt.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #11729
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Quote:
roastbeef slicer

The complete electric power steering pump conversion only saves 4lbs because the electric pump is actually heavier. The electric pump used is from a Mercedes A class (W168) which was impossible to find new. I settled on a refurbished one I found on eBay.

The total savings ended up being 30lbs off the nose because the A/C compressor was finally able to be removed since it shares a pulley with the stock power steering.

I'm going to willow springs on Friday, but from the quick drive around the block, the steering feels heavier. Added bonus-the fan and pump are routed to some new switches on the dash! #race

Good info - thanks for sharing the weights.
I will note though, you can remove the AC compressor while using the stock power steering pump, you just need to get a shorter belt.
True, we just decided to wait rather than play around with a shorter belt. Excited to see if I can actually feel a difference now
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #11730
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I ran all my tires to the cords, including the R888R.
To be more precise, I'm trying to figure out how far past the wear bars those cords are located.
      04-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #11731
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
True, we just decided to wait rather than play around with a shorter belt. Excited to see if I can actually feel a difference now
I'd be curious to know the HP gain you'd get from the electric pump. I was considering it for my car as well, that setup definitely has it's perks. Also would like to hear if you notice a difference in steering feel and feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #11732
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayha12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Took off the rear bumper today to get at the crash bar and tow base nuts. I need a deep socket 18 to get the nuts. The tow hooks base bolts are three 13mm and one 17mm. The 17mm big boi just spins and doesn't come loose. I need to take off the crash bar to see what's going on back there. Not sure how soon I can get a deep 18mm with this travel ban going on in California.
Hey Roastbeef, with the rear bumper off, can you take a direct shot of the rear? Wondering if there's anything intruding directly behind the wheel well - thinking about shaving that area off the bumper
Here is a few shots with the bumper off and the bumper holder removed. You could easily trim the holder, it's pretty stout. There is what appears to be a charcoal canister a little more inboard, but there is plenty of room for aero improvements.
Attached Images

04-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #11733
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

What are most guys finding to be the ideal spring rates for a mixed use car?

My car is a mostly street car (100% right now but would like to do some HPDE in the near future), running Michelin cup2s and would likely stay on this kind of tire for the foreseeable future. It is a weekend toy only though so I don't need something daily comfort compliant either. I've always catered towards what the track guys find ideal and then back off just a hair.

Without any real world experience my reading/gut feeling say go 500/550 front, 800 rear.

Car currently has Bilstein B16 damptronic which are based around 514/799 rates but it's a progressive spring so I know they ride/behave like they are just a little softer than that. All the comfort I could ask for on normal but even on sport+ (or whatever you call it) they just aren't quite as firm as I'd like. Maybe that's just how this car feels, maybe I want more rate. Not sure if anyone has ever attempted to convert those over to linear springs either and see how they do.

I know what each person finds acceptable in terms of NVH is different, I'm probably on the more extreme end of what I find tolerable. I'll also add the car has basically the entire SPL arm catalog, Solid diff and subframe mounts, Vibratechnic engine mounts, and Group-n trans mounts. It's not really any worse in the NVH department than the S2000s I've been driving for the last 10+ years. In fact given how solid everything is I'm surprised it's not far worse in the NVH department. That same list of mods on a S2000 and I'd probably hate the car.

Last edited by //steve\\; 04-02-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #11734
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post

Without any real world experience my reading/gut feeling say go 500/550 front, 800 rear.
I have KW Clubsports with 600/800 rates. The car is still my daily driver and is pretty comfortable. I just turn the shocks down to full-soft for the street and then make adjustments at the track. I usually write in a notebook what setups I like at what track/conditions so I'm not guessing every time and then play with it during the day if I need.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #11735
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:

I have KW Clubsports with 600/800 rates. The car is still my daily driver and is pretty comfortable. I just turn the shocks down to full-soft for the street and then make adjustments at the track. I usually write in a notebook what setups I like at what track/conditions so I'm not guessing every time and then play with it during the day if I need.
Full soft?

Umm what
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #11736
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
Full soft?

Umm what
Sounds reasonable to me? That's what I did with Clubsports on my E46 for the street, maybe wasn't full soft but close to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #11737
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Full soft?

Umm what
Well, I wasn't wording it very technically, but as turned down as the compression/rebound will go. It's a hell of a lot "softer" to drive around on the street than if they're clicked all the way up to max...

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #11738
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
roastbeef slicer

I could have sold you both the A class power steering pump and fan. I upgraded to a 991 cup car power steering pump and never installed the fan (going without a fan).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #11739
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:

My car is a mostly street car (100% right now but would like to do some HPDE in the near future), running Michelin cup2s and would likely stay on this kind of tire for the foreseeable future. It is a weekend toy only though so I don't need something daily comfort compliant either. I've always catered towards what the track guys find ideal and then back off just a hair.

Car currently has Bilstein B16 damptronic which are based around 514/799 rates but it's a progressive spring so I know they ride/behave like they are just a little softer than that. All the comfort I could ask for on normal but even on sport+ (or whatever you call it) they just aren't quite as firm as I'd like. Maybe that's just how this car feels, maybe I want more rate. Not sure if anyone has ever attempted to convert those over to linear springs either and see how they do.

I know what each person finds acceptable in terms of NVH is different, I'm probably on the more extreme end of what I find tolerable. I'll also add the car has basically the entire SPL arm catalog, Solid diff and subframe mounts, Vibratechnic engine mounts, and Group-n trans mounts. It's not really any worse in the NVH department than the S2000s I've been driving for the last 10+ years. In fact given how solid everything is I'm surprised it's not far worse in the NVH department. That same list of mods on a S2000 and I'd probably hate the car.
As you likely already know shocks make a significant difference in the right quality.

I am running 600/900 springs with MCS 3-way adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs and the car rides nicely when I turn the shock settings back to my street settings.

Last edited by Adrian g.; 04-03-2020 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #11740
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
What are most guys finding to be the ideal spring rates for a mixed use car...
I have 550/800 hyperco springs with GC race camber plates, JRZ RS One shocks. Dinan front control arm monoballs, vibra technic fast road engine mounts.

JRZ recommends 5 clicks for street, 10 for track. I find 18 clicks to be about just right for me on track and fastest. For street comfort, I find myself at 2-3 clicks to be bearable. It's still noticeably harsher over some bumps than full stock, but many people have commented that it is incredibly comfortable considering the suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #11741
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like most are running right around what I would have picked/guessed on anyways.

I'm not looking for it to be 100% perfect on the first try just get to a mostly good enough spot based on some research and I'll adapt down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #11742
hayes180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2013 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [10.00]
I miss the track....
Appreciate 3
tsk941522.00
beats225.00
      04-04-2020, 02:48 AM   #11743
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Got some new parts for track season (i.e. to look at my car wearing them in the garage forever).
Attached Images

04-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #11744
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Got some new parts for track season (i.e. to look at my car wearing them in the garage forever).
Noice
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #11745
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Noice
The fact that most of us are still dumping the heat exchanger flow out of our undertray is really bothersome. I wonder what the lift difference is with it blocked off vs open. That would be a cool test.
      04-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #11746
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Quote:
I'd be curious to know the HP gain you'd get from the electric pump. I was considering it for my car as well, that setup definitely has it's perks. Also would like to hear if you notice a difference in steering feel and feedback.
These is definitely a noticeable difference in the steering. The weight is now heavier and felt really nice on track. If you're a fan of lighter steering, stay away. Something interesting that I noticed once I started to throw the car into turns and do a little drifting- the steering doesn't want to correct itself as much as before, which made connecting a left turn drift to right turn drift a little tricky. It took a couple drifts to get used to the new characteristics, but you just need to muscle it back to center.

If any of you have had a more pleasant experience with the drifting aspect, I'd love to hear. Regardless, the steering feel on track gets an A+ for sure
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      04-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #11747
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
These is definitely a noticeable difference in the steering. The weight is now heavier and felt really nice on track. If you're a fan of lighter steering, stay away. Something interesting that I noticed once I started to throw the car into turns and do a little drifting- the steering doesn't want to correct itself as much as before, which made connecting a left turn drift to right turn drift a little tricky. It took a couple drifts to get used to the new characteristics, but you just need to muscle it back to center.

If any of you have had a more pleasant experience with the drifting aspect, I'd love to hear. Regardless, the steering feel on track gets an A+ for sure
can you "tune" the feel at all with these electric kits? is there any kind of restrictor plates? what regulates the power going to the epump?

and could you expand on how the spal fan works? plug and play like oem, or is it just on or off? i read some vague info on the oem fan being variable, but i'm not sure. i know its 850 watts, but not sure about cfm...
      04-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #11748
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
can you "tune" the feel at all with these electric kits? is there any kind of restrictor plates? what regulates the power going to the epump?

and could you expand on how the spal fan works? plug and play like oem, or is it just on or off? i read some vague info on the oem fan being variable, but i'm not sure. i know its 850 watts, but not sure about cfm...
I modified my power steering system on my E46 M3 to have much heavier steering by installing shims on the relief valve. So the pump relief opens and recircs at a lower pressure which provides less steering boost. Its a great way to keep things easy to repair in the future.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0