BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
New2Roundel
Captain
363
Rep
756
Posts

Drives: Some fun stuff
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
So wait, what happened with the engine? Did you tear it down yet? Does it have BE bearings?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #24
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
So wait, what happened with the engine? Did you tear it down yet? Does it have BE bearings?
I don't think the previous owner who traded it in lied to me about the bearings. But, I did find out after the fact that he in fact did not do the RB's but rather the original owner before him did. So, in other words the guy before me supercharged it and put 20k miles on those bearings supercharged, and the original owner, assuming he didn't lie about BE bearings either, put some miles on them as well. So the motor was not at all as fresh as I was lead to believe. Which is a real shame because I would've happily had the RB's done preventatively.

And to be clear - the guy before me traded it in for a used twin turbo corvette at this dealer in Iowa, who listed the M3. When I inquired with the dealer, they put me in touch with the previous owner who had given them his contact info to answer questions about the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #25
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
So wait, what happened with the engine? Did you tear it down yet? Does it have BE bearings?
Sorry, I only responded to half your question. I have not yet torn it down. Ghassan told me if I send the car to Ghassan w/ motor, they will price out what is salvageable reimburse a corresponding portion of my $3,000 core charge. I would really like to tear it down here and part it out myself but don't have a good way to do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #26
New2Roundel
Captain
363
Rep
756
Posts

Drives: Some fun stuff
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks! I really appreciate the info. At this point in time, all details that could have contributed to bottom-end damage in these cars is pretty important. I'm really sorry that you had to go through this though---such a terrible thing to happen. Here's to hoping you get it back on the road ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #27
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate the info. At this point in time, all details that could have contributed to bottom-end damage in these cars is pretty important. I'm really sorry that you had to go through this though---such a terrible thing to happen. Here's to hoping you get it back on the road ASAP.
I plan to document w/ pics as much as I can and post them here to be shared. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #28
jvictormp
Second Lieutenant
jvictormp's Avatar
Brazil
50
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Brazil

iTrader: (0)

Sorry about your 2019, mate.

Can't find here what actually caused the failure. Have you figured it out?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #29
mapster37
Second Lieutenant
92
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Davie

iTrader: (0)

wow, really was a horrible 2019 for you. Also, do not forget to replace or at minimum flush the oil cooler and lines after all its been through.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #30
Assimilator1
Second Lieutenant
Assimilator1's Avatar
United Kingdom
78
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 e92 & 330d e90
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK, Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Wow! You really have had a bad year!
I hope those guys got done for it big time.
__________________
.
Collation of oil analysis reports with some rod bearing photos for the M3's S65 - Does oil analysis work?
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2020, 11:16 PM   #31
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
Sorry about your 2019, mate.

Can't find here what actually caused the failure. Have you figured it out?
We'll know soon. I'm thinking main bearing failure.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
wow, really was a horrible 2019 for you. Also, do not forget to replace or at minimum flush the oil cooler and lines after all its been through.
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #33
PACarGuy
Captain
PACarGuy's Avatar
United_States
344
Rep
702
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly burbs, PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryharry19 View Post
Thank you all for the responses, advise and warm regards!

I am out of college and gainfully employed.. but am I balling on a budget? Yes, Yes definitely. LOL

Speaking of bad luck I also got jumped by a group of guys in December right before Christmas and suffered a skull fracture. 3 days in the ICU and now I have 3 plates in my head. So yeah 2019 was not my year.

The M3 has been in storage.. I've been saving up and too busy with work & 2 months of leave for healing. Now that the country is on pause with COVID-19 and I've saved a bunch from having virtually zero expenses (I lived back at home after the hospitalization), I'm seriously trying to figure out the best way to go about this and have the car back on the road by June or so.

The logistics are so much more complicated for this sort of thing that I would've ever imagined. It's so easy to spend $20k+ while others manage to get back on the road @ $12k or so.

The issue with going stock is I will end up spending money on with retuning, buying stock injectors, intake plenum, etc.. that what little I would make back wouldn't justify the lack of power. So I'm pretty much dead set on re-supercharging. Meaning I need a motor that is low mileage and I need to do RB's or that is rebuilt.

Question - is anyone familiar with Ghassan Automotive?
They claim to be the largest BMW engine remanufacturer in the US. Offering a Remanufactured "full blown rebuild" "vertually zero miles" (according to Ghassan, the owner) S65 for $8500 plus $3000 core charge and $2300 install. Includes 2 year unlimited mile parts & labor warranty "even if I resupercharge it", fully machined block, crank & cylinders with King Main Bearings & ACL Rod Bearings. The owner Ghassan offered a full shop tour and free dyno day. They're mostly doing N54 motors though.. Their reviews are very hit or miss but there is little to nothing on their remanufactured S65 reviews. I spoke with one guy who had an awful experience with Ghassan with his s65, but frankly the guy was just an idiot and I think his story doesn't warrant any complaints. What do you guys think? It almost seems like it's too cheap to be true.
Yikes...sorry to hear about the attack. That sounds horrific but glad you're recovering.

The reviews on Ghassan aren't exactly encouraging: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ghassan-automotive-perkins

Based on those, I'd stay away. Looks like the prices are a bit too good to be true. Try contacting deansbimmer and see what he can do. He is an expert and can get S65's.
__________________
2012 E92 M3 | ZCP | DCT | Space Grey Metallic | Black Novillo | BE Bearings | CF Rear Spoiler, Diffuser, Front Splitters | Black grill + side gills | DTEC 160W Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #34
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryharry19 View Post
Thank you all for the responses, advise and warm regards!

I am out of college and gainfully employed.. but am I balling on a budget? Yes, Yes definitely. LOL

Speaking of bad luck I also got jumped by a group of guys in December right before Christmas and suffered a skull fracture. 3 days in the ICU and now I have 3 plates in my head. So yeah 2019 was not my year.

The M3 has been in storage.. I've been saving up and too busy with work & 2 months of leave for healing. Now that the country is on pause with COVID-19 and I've saved a bunch from having virtually zero expenses (I lived back at home after the hospitalization), I'm seriously trying to figure out the best way to go about this and have the car back on the road by June or so.

The logistics are so much more complicated for this sort of thing that I would've ever imagined. It's so easy to spend $20k+ while others manage to get back on the road @ $12k or so.

The issue with going stock is I will end up spending money on with retuning, buying stock injectors, intake plenum, etc.. that what little I would make back wouldn't justify the lack of power. So I'm pretty much dead set on re-supercharging. Meaning I need a motor that is low mileage and I need to do RB's or that is rebuilt.

Question - is anyone familiar with Ghassan Automotive?
They claim to be the largest BMW engine remanufacturer in the US. Offering a Remanufactured "full blown rebuild" "vertually zero miles" (according to Ghassan, the owner) S65 for $8500 plus $3000 core charge and $2300 install. Includes 2 year unlimited mile parts & labor warranty "even if I resupercharge it", fully machined block, crank & cylinders with King Main Bearings & ACL Rod Bearings. The owner Ghassan offered a full shop tour and free dyno day. They're mostly doing N54 motors though.. Their reviews are very hit or miss but there is little to nothing on their remanufactured S65 reviews. I spoke with one guy who had an awful experience with Ghassan with his s65, but frankly the guy was just an idiot and I think his story doesn't warrant any complaints. What do you guys think? It almost seems like it's too cheap to be true.
Yikes...sorry to hear about the attack. That sounds horrific but glad you're recovering.

The reviews on Ghassan aren't exactly encouraging: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ghassan-automotive-perkins

Based on those, I'd stay away. Looks like the prices are a bit too good to be true. Try contacting deansbimmer and see what he can do. He is an expert and can get S65's.
Thank you! I just looked into Deansbimmer last night and planned to reach out today.

RE: Ghassan auto.. oh man that guy. First off I don't think he's actually looked at his own warranty. It stipulates a $3k limit of liability w/ a $1k deductible and is limited to 24k miles (not unlimited 2 yr)... I laughed when I read it but it's really not funny considering the verbal considerations he repeatedly makes over the phone.. He also is saying he can have the car ready to go in 2-4 weeks.. When I asked him if he has a "remanufactured" s65 ready to go off the shelf he said no due to over head costs of keeping them which makes sense. But how does one say they can not only source a trustworthy S65 but have outsourced machine work done to crank, block and cylinder walls, and have everything reliably reassembled in 2-4 weeks, charging 8.5k+3k core charge and make a penny in the process? Idk... and when I asked well where do you source them & can I have documentation his response was "it really doesn't matter because we're the biggest doing this in the country and we 'warranty' our motors" hmmm ok chief 👍🏻. He estimated they've done 60-70 S65's. Like I said IDK. But I did find a thread where he got in a legit pissing match with a disgruntled customer, so kinda regretting mentioning him and hope he doesn't show up here.

Anyways, I have found a guy in Savannah GA who seems very legit. His shop is ASM BMW. His name is Alex and he's been no bs, great to work with so far. I'd be all in ~$16k- 17k for a 37k mile s65 with fresh VAC rb's, ARP bolts, VAC performance steel head gasket & ARP head studs, plus fresh gaskets all around, a rebuilt supercharger and an active autowerke dyno tune with a legit 2 year 24k no bs warranty. I feel really good about the guy's offer and experience.

I do plan to reach out to Deansbimmer before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #35
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
BimmerMan33's Avatar
United_States
51
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Illinois, USA

iTrader: (0)

I could only imagine your pain.
Agree that you are planning to fix the car rather than parting & selling it.
E9x M3 with S65 is truly special and BMW will not make a comparably special feeling engine in the future. So enjoy it while you can!
In my opinion, the S65 is already massaged from the factory to extract max performance. If you want long term reliability then leave the engine stock (maybe test pipe & engine tune to get 30 additional HP).

Keep in mind that NA performance engines are typically high compression whereas FI motors turbo/supercharged are lower compression to accommodate forced induction. Also, engine internals as well as peripheral components are designed for NA design & may not withstand added stress due to supercharging, hence less reliable.

Get a used motor, rebuild with fresh main & rod bearings, upgrade valve springs, new injectors, mpowermotorsports rebuilt throttle actuators with lifetime warranty, upgrade motor mounts, replace idle control valve, fuel breather valve, etc. Maybe do some chassis/suspension upgrades AND enjoy the car!
Appreciate 5
      04-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #36
Siajoon
///Majestic
Siajoon's Avatar
United_States
629
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I think I might have nightmares tonight from this horror story. I deeply feel for you OP... and I hope you have better luck going forward :/
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #37
Helmsman
Major General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
2493
Rep
5,399
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Harry, ever so sorry to hear about your engine and even worse those fokkers who attacked you, what is wrong with people. Thanksfully you seem to have come out in ok shape.

Seems you are working your way towards a feasible solution, mentioned shop seems trustworthy and experienced which obviously is key. I would definitely have a word with Deansbimmer as well, who without doubt is a S65B40 Superstar with a very helpful personality on top.

....and here I am complaining over Corona restrictions...
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #38
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
bimmergixxer's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
290
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Railside Performance

iTrader: (7)

You can buy a whole car here in Canada for $16K usd. They are selling good used models here for $18k-22k Cdn and you can take the best of both cars and then sell the rest. Some even have already had the rod bearings done. I know you currently have a plan, but throwing out another option.
__________________
E92 M3 Manual , E71 X6
R8 V10 Manual
Ducati Streetfighter 1098
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2020, 12:18 AM   #39
dgoldenz
Captain
320
Rep
898
Posts

Drives: 991 GT3, JL Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Canít imagine thereís any way a fully rebuilt engine can be $8.5k. Even the cheapest used engines on eBay and from salvage yards are $6-7k. Having my engine rebuilt cost $11k plus the core which was $6.7k. Luckily I got refunded $6k of that because it was under warranty from the seller and they decided to agree on giving me $6k if I paid to have the engine totally rebuilt instead of diagnosing and fixing the issues the engine had which the shop was estimating at close to $6k right off the bat. Rebuilding it made the most sense and it has run perfectly since then. They also gave me a one year warranty. The $16-17k estimate seems reasonable for what you mentioned especially if they will warranty for 2 years.

Good luck, itís a whole lot of headache until itís back on the road.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #40
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Sent her off to Savannah GA today!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 7
PACarGuy344.00
JDM_CL986.00
Space Fox281.50
akkando3356.00
Ink0941.00

      04-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #41
Helmsman
Major General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
2493
Rep
5,399
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #42
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
JDM_CL9's Avatar
Canada
86
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, #TheNorth

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your story here. I think on behalf of all of us, I can say we're all rooting for you for that happy ending!

Wishing you a great recovery and all the best!
__________________
2009 BMW E93 6MT///M3 - SG/FR
2011 BMW E90 DCT///M3 - JB/FR (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #43
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
67
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Well, we found out what happened. I over-boosted, lifted a head and blew a head gasket. The culprit was a tiny, out of spec vacuum line (blue line in the pics) that Shop #2 installed to run to the BOV. It should have been about a 1/4" gauge but was about not even close.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 5
      04-23-2020, 12:36 AM   #44
jvictormp
Second Lieutenant
jvictormp's Avatar
Brazil
50
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Brazil

iTrader: (0)

Well, that's great news, right!?

Way less costly than you expected!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blown motor, blown s65, bpm tuning, e9x m3, engine failure, rod bearing failure, rod bearings, s65, supercharged, vf engineering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST