BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: Purchase the E92 M3 in June or wait for the F82 M4?
E92 M3 with V8 156 84.32%
F82 M4 with V6 twin turbo 29 15.68%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

10-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 328i M Sport White/Red

Arrow HELP! Purchase E92 M3 w/V8 or wait for next gen F82 M4 w/V6

EDIT 8: Let's just see how things are when my lease is up. I don't want to buy a car that is going to be old in a year.

So as you can see, I drive an E92 LCI 328 alpine white on coral red pretty much fully equipped.

I love my car and haven't had any really bad complaints with it (currently 7 months since lease began; now at about 6k miles)

My lease is for 3 years and my sister wants to get a BMW just like mine (she won't need a car until around June/July).

So I was thinking of ordering an E92 M3 with the naturally aspirated V8 around May/June (and waiting the long 2 months again), because the rumor that the next gen M3, the M4, will have V6 engine with twin turbo.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582941

I know a V6 will save on fuel consumption, but I do not care about that.

What do you guys think?
Wait for the F82 M4 and get it when my lease is up (January 2014) or order an E92 M3 in May/June?

EDIT 1:
the thing that I am worried about is that production will stop for the E92 M3 in June...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542482

EDIT 2:
If I were to get an M3, it would be to buy a it with the options I want (like how I did for the 328i).
I am considering European Delivery too.

Money is not an issue.

EDIT 3:
So after thinking for some time and getting comments from different people, I think I should just go with a 3 year lease on an E92 M3 and going from there. Thoughts on that?

EDIT 4:
Thanks everyone for opinions and votes. I think I am going to lease an E92 M3 in either Jerez Black or Jet Black with Fox Red/Black/Black interior and carbon fiber trim nicely equipped around May/June for 3 years. Do some basic cosmetic mods along with adding camera in the front so I can be sure bumper is safe when parking and just enjoy it! Thanks!

EDIT 5:
I'm swaying back and forth on the situation. As of now, I will just go along with my 328i coupe (as I am extremely happy with it) and go from there once my lease is finished (January 2014. I might just buy my current car at the end of the lease if the new body of the 3/4 series fails to impress me as much as the current generation. Even if I do like the new design, I will probably wait one or two years for the M4 (or whatever it's called) to evolve (little tweaks and fix issues) and then buy it and do European Delivery (around 2015-2016). If it is possible and worth extending my lease, that's an option too.

EDIT 6:
A used 2011 e93 m3 is starting to seem appealing to me especially because the weather in LA is beautiful.
(to buy when my lease finishes in early 2014 assuming the new M4 is not what I am looking for and I do not get sick of the e92/e93 design;
I just love the current design!!!)

EDIT 7: So after seeing the awesome renderings of the M4 (http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609964) I am going to wait. I am not a huge fan of the design, but I want the upgraded interior and new features like head-up display and cameras. When I think of it though, not a big deal. So let's see how the F30 is when it comes out. Maybe that will help me decide. I am running against the clock here though as production is ending soon!!! *thinking of an e92 M3 white on red (yes I know, again. lol. it's just the sexiest combo)

Last edited by pn_e92; 11-21-2011 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: see above
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

You could get both? the new one prob won't be out for sometime. In the mean time you can enjoy the last of the v8 beast! I have had a lot of BMW and this by far is my favorite. Whatever you decide GL and let us know if you need any assistance.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

the thing that I am worried about is that production will stop for the E92 M3 in June...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542482
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Parham, are you persian? I can see you and your family are addicted to BMWs like most other Persians! Definitely get the e92 M3, it is a beast and you will love it! It most probably will be the only M3 ever produced with V8. Consider getting CPO if you want to save money, and definitely talk to Golffrr as most people who dealt with him are pretty happy!
GL

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

You haven't even been in your current car for a year. It doesn't seem like a good idea to switch unless you can get a really good deal on the M3. I presume that your sister would take over your 328 lease. Would you lease the M3?

I don't want to turn this into one of those "you can't afford it" threads, but you do have to carefully balance your need vs want ratio against your own financial situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

both?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Smile

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Below are my replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
You could get both? the new one prob won't be out for sometime. In the mean time you can enjoy the last of the v8 beast! I have had a lot of BMW and this by far is my favorite. Whatever you decide GL and let us know if you need any assistance.
don't need two cars. want to stick with one. and I dont mind waiting either, i just need to decide which is better (even though we dont know much about the M4 yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Parham, are you persian? I can see you and your family are addicted to BMWs like most other Persians! Definitely get the e92 M3, it is a beast and you will love it! It most probably will be the only M3 ever produced with V8. Consider getting CPO if you want to save money, and definitely talk to Golffrr as most people who dealt with him are pretty happy!
GL
haha yeah Persian as you can tell by my name. and i dont want to buy used. I want to get a new car and drive it for at least a good 5-6 years and do some worthy mods to it. after i want to keep it for like a classic car. i dont think i would want to sell it ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
You haven't even been in your current car for a year. It doesn't seem like a good idea to switch unless you can get a really good deal on the M3. I presume that your sister would take over your 328 lease. Would you lease the M3?

I don't want to turn this into one of those "you can't afford it" threads, but you do have to carefully balance your need vs want ratio against your own financial situation.
true I havnt been with my car for a full year. by the time i want to get the m3, I will have been with my car for 1.5 yrs. my sister wants the same car, so no point of having two of the same cars in same color combos and packages, etc. so that's why i was thinking of getting a different car because she will gladly take over my lease. and I would buy the M3 new. I would drive it for at least a good 5-6 years and do some worthy mods to it. after i would want to keep it for like a classic car. i dont think i would ever want to sell it

Also, I hear your point about the money and it's a very valid point indeed, but for my purposes that will not be an issue that will be factored into purchasing the M3 brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
both?
don't need two cars. want to stick with one. and I dont mind waiting either, i just need to decide which is better (even though we dont know much about the M4 yet)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Go for the E9x

I still cant get over the fact that the next gen will be called the M4, I end up doing double takes every time I read it

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by parham2652 View Post
You are missing the point. The M4 is still more than three years away. Lease an E92 M3 now, and when the lease is up, lease a new M4. Problem solved, end thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You are missing the point. The M4 is still more than three years away. Lease an E92 M3 now, and when the lease is up, lease a new M4. Problem solved, end thread.
haha nice point. I think I will do that. but that was not my original way of thinking. I was thinking that I want to keep the naturally aspirated V8 engine M3. That's why I was thinking of buying an M3.

But I'm realizing I will probably want to upgrade or get a different color combo by my 3rd or 4th year with the car and so it will be pointless to buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Don't miss out on the last N/A V8 M3. The noise the engine makes alone is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a LOT more of these types of threads in the coming months.

p.s. you can take european delivery on a lease.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
This.
read my reply above

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Don't miss out on the last N/A V8 M3. The noise the engine makes alone is worth it.
what are you suggesting? lease or buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a LOT more of these types of threads in the coming months.

p.s. you can take european delivery on a lease.
same. someone stick this then.
I know I can still take ED, but will it be that much of a discount justifying traveling to Europe? because with buying the car the discount seems pretty high so I am inclined to travel to Europe. If it is just like $2-3k off on a lease, I feel like it's not worth it (I wouldn't go alone either).

Also, what's your opinion esquire? Buy an E92 M3 or lease it for 3 years and go from there?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
read my reply above

what are you suggesting? lease or buy?

same. someone stick this then.
I know I can still take ED, but will it be that much of a discount justifying traveling to Europe? because with buying the car the discount seems pretty high so I am inclined to travel to Europe. If it is just like $2-3k off on a lease, I feel like it's not worth it (I wouldn't go alone either).

Also, what's your opinion esquire? Buy an E92 M3 or lease it for 3 years and go from there?
Personally, I'd lease. Then if you want to upgrade, you can make the switch. I'm planning on leasing and buying at the end of the lease just because the engine is so unique....and it will probably be modded.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Personally, I'd lease. Then if you want to upgrade, you can make the switch. I'm planning on leasing and buying at the end of the lease just because the engine is so unique....and it will probably be modded.
that's what I was thinking of doing, but isn't it much cheaper to decide before you lease if you want to buy?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
because with buying the car the discount seems pretty high so I am inclined to travel to Europe.
There is just one price for the car, regardless of how you pay. The discount with a lease will be the same as if you buy. If you order from one of the forum sponsors at about ED invoice price, you should save at least 6k or so, and maybe up to 8k. I think it is about a 14% discount off the normal MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
There is just one price for the car, regardless of how you pay. The discount with a lease will be the same as if you buy. If you order from one of the forum sponsors at about ED invoice price, you should save at least 6k or so, and maybe up to 8k. I think it is about a 14% discount off the normal MSRP.
True, but I won't save $6k-8k if I lease. The discount is a percentage.
Btw, I have seen that 14% off somewhere else too, so I think you are right.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

I have been searching the forums, but still a bit confused.
How does PCD work? Better than ED? Cheaper? Discount? any summary pls?
Thanks!

EDIT:
Never mind found it finally.
But, what is the best program available to learn how to drive the car and take it to its limits.
I want to learn how to professionally drift, etc.
Does BMW offer a program like that?

Last edited by pn_e92; 10-02-2011 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: see above
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
that's what I was thinking of doing, but isn't it much cheaper to decide before you lease if you want to buy?
I would think that depends on the interest rate.
  • Say, interest rate with lease is lower. EDIT: lower than financing
  • EDIT: This doesn't apply if you have the cash to pay the car upfront. Paying no interest is the best thing. Unless the finance/ lease rates are pretty low and you like keeping the cash available. (Or because you can get a better return in another way, etc.)
  • Pay the lease payment on a monthly basis, which in total equates to the depreciation amount with the lower interest rate.
  • When the lease is over, you can decide if you want to keep it or buy it out.
  • If you want to buy it out, pay cash and voila, you have not spent more.
  • Key is to negotiate based on total price of car, from invoice up, regardless of method of paying for it.
  • In addition, if your car gets damaged during the lease period, you don't swallow any of the depreciation if you give it back. I may be paranoid, but this has happened to me. Then I decided to try leasing and did as I described above.

This won't work if the lease rate is not attractive though.

Last edited by JulieDriving; 10-03-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed. Maybe OP's thread should be stickied or something.

Especially as we get new spyshots of the new M3/M4 and new videos of its sound.
      10-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
i agree with what most others in this thread have said. leasing the car presents a win/win situation for you. in the event that you love the next gen m3/m4 you can return the car upon lease-end (or even earlier). in the event that the m3/m4 ends up being a disappointment to you, you can just stick with the leased current gen M3 and buy it out at the end of the term.

i wouldn't buy the e92 M3 outright at this point if you are also seriously considering buying the next gen M3/M4.

re: financing, if you end up leasing the car, ED might not be the route to go. obviously you won't realize the full ED savings unless you end up purchasing the lease at the end of the term. not to mention that ED takeks 3 months from beginning to end. maybe the move here for you is to negotiate an M3 at a few cents above invoice.

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #22
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Quote:
I would think that depends on the interest rate.
  • Say, interest rate with lease is lower. EDIT: lower than financing
  • EDIT: This doesn't apply if you have the cash to pay the car upfront. Paying no interest is the best thing. Unless the finance/ lease rates are pretty low and you like keeping the cash available. (Or because you can get a better return in another way, etc.)
  • Pay the lease payment on a monthly basis, which in total equates to the depreciation amount with the lower interest rate.
  • When the lease is over, you can decide if you want to keep it or buy it out.
  • If you want to buy it out, pay cash and voila, you have not spent more.
  • Key is to negotiate based on total price of car, from invoice up, regardless of method of paying for it.
  • In addition, if your car gets damaged during the lease period, you don't swallow any of the depreciation if you give it back. I may be paranoid, but this has happened to me. Then I decided to try leasing and did as I described above.

This won't work if the lease rate is not attractive though.
I don't have the cash to buy the car upfront and I think it is better for me to just lease the M3 and then buy it at the end like you are saying. That's why I got a 328i and leased it. It is my first BMW of probably many more in my future. I wanted to see if I like BMW and see if I would get sick of it or not.

The main reason for me suddenly thinking of getting the M3 is because I would like the V8 engine and I love the design of the E92. I don't want to regret not having the M3 in the future when only the next gen is available for order (I don't want to buy used). Even if I end up paying a little more, I think it is worth not regretting missing out on the E92 M3 in the future. Thanks for the long, explanatory post.

EDIT: Just to reiterate, I would not be getting the M3 (most probably for lease) until around June. So lease rates will be different? Better hopefully?

Last edited by pn_e92; 10-03-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0