BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #45
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

my pick still would be the Rupes LHR21.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #46
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
my pick still would be the Rupes LHR21.
Why this over the Flex?

What do you think about the LHR21 bigfoot?
      09-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #47
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

for me preference.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #48
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Another +1 for the Rupes LHR21. Best polisher I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #49
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

I read that the Rupes LHR21 is ideal for large horizontal panels. Due to it's long throw and large pads, it's not the ideal machine for the entire car.

In fact, I've also read that when using this machine on curved panels, you're supposed to work one section of the car at a time with different pads and different polishes.....that you can't for example polish the entire car at once without tearing up the pad.

Any thoughts on this?

Should I get the LHR15 instead as a better all around machine?
      09-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #50
LanceW
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Vert E92 M3 ZCP

https://smile.amazon.com/Chemical-Gu...keywords=torqx

I've had this a few weeks now and really like it so far. Plenty of power for me. Just use it for my personal cars so not sure if it's professional grade or not. I like that the pads are clearly labeled for what kind of polishing. Comes with the flexible backing plate as well as pad cleaner.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #51
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
I read that the Rupes LHR21 is ideal for large horizontal panels. Due to it's long throw and large pads, it's not the ideal machine for the entire car.

In fact, I've also read that when using this machine on curved panels, you're supposed to work one section of the car at a time with different pads and different polishes.....that you can't for example polish the entire car at once without tearing up the pad.

Any thoughts on this?

Should I get the LHR15 instead as a better all around machine?
I got the LHR21 and bought the smaller backing plate also so I could use the smaller pads which were from the LHR15 polisher.

I've used the LHR21 on practically every kind of style of car without issues.
You might have to work each panel differently depending on the size and shape but detailing all comes down to your technique, regardless of polisher.

Tearing up a pad depends on the type of chemicals you use. If you are old school and still using Farecla, yes you going to have issues. But if you are using any other kind of modern day cutting compounds, 1 pad would be enough in my experience.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #52
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceW View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Chemical-Gu...keywords=torqx

I've had this a few weeks now and really like it so far. Plenty of power for me. Just use it for my personal cars so not sure if it's professional grade or not. I like that the pads are clearly labeled for what kind of polishing. Comes with the flexible backing plate as well as pad cleaner.
This kit seems to make a lot of sense. I'm not a pro so I'm not planning on using this daily, weekly, nor monthly. Honestly, how often does an enthusiast on this forum detail their car in a year?

I'd be interested to know.
      09-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #53
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
I got the LHR21 and bought the smaller backing plate also so I could use the smaller pads which were from the LHR15 polisher.

I've used the LHR21 on practically every kind of style of car without issues.
You might have to work each panel differently depending on the size and shape but detailing all comes down to your technique, regardless of polisher.

Tearing up a pad depends on the type of chemicals you use. If you are old school and still using Farecla, yes you going to have issues. But if you are using any other kind of modern day cutting compounds, 1 pad would be enough in my experience.
What size backing plate did you go with?

I'm really looking for a kit, and if I need to buy a smaller backing plate that means a kit won't work for me.
      09-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #54
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What size backing plate did you go with?

I'm really looking for a kit, and if I need to buy a smaller backing plate that means a kit won't work for me.
I have both LHR21 (6-inch) and LHR15 (5-inch) backing plates. You can buy the 5" smaller backing plate separately also. I also did the washer mod, where you cut a round washer to fit in between the backing plate and unit, which gives it a bit more height so the shroud on the polisher doesn't slow down the backing plate.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #55
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have both LHR21 (6-inch) and LHR15 (5-inch) backing plates. You can buy the 5" smaller backing plate separately also. I also did the washer mod, where you cut a round washer to fit in between the backing plate and unit, which gives it a bit more height so the shroud on the polisher doesn't slow down the backing plate.
What brand backing plate did you go with?
      09-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #56
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

you would need to pick up the Rupes Backing Plates.
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #57
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What's your system, meaning, which color pad goes with which type of liquid (i.e. polish, compound, wax, etc.)? Do you go with the Rupes brand polishing gels and compounds also?
      09-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #58
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What's your system, meaning, which color pad goes with which type of liquid (i.e. polish, compound, wax, etc.)? Do you go with the Rupes brand polishing gels and compounds also?
I don't use Rupes polishing pads or compounds. I use various chemicals, it all depends on what needs to be done on your car.
With my Rupes polisher I use 3D Products HD Cut, and Polish. The pads varies depending on what brand you use. Each brand pad has a specific color for what its job. I just buy whatever pad is cheap or on sale, and use it. I re-use the pads a few times and throw em out. They lose their effectiveness after a few washes/uses.

After the paint is all nicely detailed/corrected, every so often I use 3D Products HD Speed with a light finishing pad. It like an All-in-One.

I follow a flow chart from Chemical Guys, their products work just as good.

Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #59
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't use Rupes polishing pads or compounds. I use various chemicals, it all depends on what needs to be done on your car.
With my Rupes polisher I use 3D Products HD Cut, and Polish. The pads varies depending on what brand you use. Each brand pad has a specific color for what its job. I just buy whatever pad is cheap or on sale, and use it. I re-use the pads a few times and throw em out. They lose their effectiveness after a few washes/uses.

After the paint is all nicely detailed/corrected, every so often I use 3D Products HD Speed with a light finishing pad. It like an All-in-One.

I follow a flow chart from Chemical Guys, their products work just as good.

Ah, thanks. Looks like I have 4 layers to put on after the wash and clay. Protective coating, glaze, sealing, and wax.

Do you use Chem Bros pads? Is there a color system with their pads and their seals?
      09-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #60
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT SSII (sold)

Pad chart...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/v/vspfil...ngPadChart.jpg

My process...

Wash - 2 bucket system...Chemical Guys Mr Pink soap with Torq Foam Cannon

Wheels - Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel gel with Chemical Guys Wheel Whoolies

Paint decontaminate - Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Grade with Nanoskin Glide and Nanoskin Fine grade sponge in tight areas

Compound - Meguiars M105 with Chemical Guys Hex Logic Orange pad

Polish - Meguiars M205 with Chemical Guys Hex Logic White pad

Glaze - Chemical Guys EZ Crème Glaze with Chemical Guys Hex Logic Blue Pad

Paint Sealant - Jescar (Mezerna) Power Lock Plus Polymer Sealant with Chemical Guys Black Pad

Wax - Chemical Guys Butter wax with Chemical Guys Red pad

Quick detail - Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical High Gloss Spray Sealant/Quick Detailer
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #61
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclinard1 View Post
Pad chart...

My process...

Paint decontaminate - Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Grade with Nanoskin Glide and Nanoskin Fine grade sponge in tight areas

Paint Sealant - Jescar (Mezerna) Power Lock Plus Polymer Sealant with Chemical Guys Black Pad

Quick detail - Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical High Gloss Spray Sealant/Quick Detailer

Good info...thanks.

Do you do all of that in one day or in the past have you done a few steps in one day and then finished it later?

I don't have my RO polisher yet. Was thinking about washing and claying it this weekend, but not sure if I can just the car with clay.
      09-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #62
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good info...thanks.

Do you do all of that in one day or in the past have you done a few steps in one day and then finished it later?

I don't have my RO polisher yet. Was thinking about washing and claying it this weekend, but not sure if I can just the car with clay.
For paint correction, I wash it, do the wheels and then the paint decontamination with the Nanoskin pad the day or night before. Garage it...

Then do the rest all in same day.

I'd highly recommend getting the Nanoskin pad and Glide. Entire car can be done in less than an hour where the clay method will take forever and you'll kill yourself in the process. Maybe keep a piece of clay for the tight areas, but for the flat surfaces, I'll never use clay again.
Appreciate 2
TTony271.00
      10-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #63
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Update: Bit the bullet and put in order for Rupes LHR21.

For those who use polishers, do you apply blue tape on borders that you don't want polished?

For example, I have a partial clear bra on my hood and don't want the polisher to contact it. I guess I have to hand polish close to that edge but when do people apply blue tape?
      10-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #64
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
For paint correction, I wash it, do the wheels and then the paint decontamination with the Nanoskin pad the day or night before. Garage it...

Then do the rest all in same day.

I'd highly recommend getting the Nanoskin pad and Glide. Entire car can be done in less than an hour where the clay method will take forever and you'll kill yourself in the process. Maybe keep a piece of clay for the tight areas, but for the flat surfaces, I'll never use clay again.
I'm reading up on it more and have both clay and the nanonskin/glide purchased. My question is whether the glide does the same as the clay to remove contaminants like tar residue, etc.

Or, must the glide be applied on a completely clean and debris free surface?

Also, please tell me about a critical step that you didn't describe, which is how long it takes you to prep the vehicle with tape to protect window seals and such prior. As with painting, the prep work takes up the most time.

I have purchased car masking tape, but it'd be interesting if people had pics of their cars taped up prior to starting the detailing process.
      10-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #65
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm reading up on it more and have both clay and the nanonskin/glide purchased. My question is whether the glide does the same as the clay to remove contaminants like tar residue, etc.

Or, must the glide be applied on a completely clean and debris free surface?

Also, please tell me about a critical step that you didn't describe, which is how long it takes you to prep the vehicle with tape to protect window seals and such prior. As with painting, the prep work takes up the most time.

I have purchased car masking tape, but it'd be interesting if people had pics of their cars taped up prior to starting the detailing process.
No, you don't need to use Nanoskin and Glide on debri free surface. You should wash the car first, but that's all. I just watched youtube videos on it. It's really simple to use. I only tape around the window trim/plastic. It only took a few mins.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #66
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Pad chart...

My process...

What do you use for the protective coating step?