BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #23
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I don't quite get the clear bra thing, personally. I've got 58k on my '01, and maybe a couple extremely small chips on the hood, and some very mild rash on the lower front fascia. Doesn't seem worth the expense to me. Are conditions back East or other places worse enought to make it justifiable? It's still not bulletproof, obviously.
I think you guys have cleaner and nicer roads up in the northwest where it rains a lot. I have some friends that came down from Washington and they were complaining that our roads in SoCal suck. It's almost always dry down here so maybe the sand doesn't get washed off the roads so much.

All of my cars over their life have had tons of grain sized chips all over the front bumper. I drive the fast lane most of the time, too. Once in a while I'll be driving along and you can just hear little sand particles hitting the windshield and you know it's getting your paint, too.

Maybe it's because you have a gray M3 and it's not as noticeable. But my black cars really show it. My white cars you'd have to look but I am sure you can feel it.

I'm thinking now that the hood might be a bit overkill plus I'd have that line going across the hood where it cuts off. Maybe I'll just have the front bumper done along with the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #24
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
i would not recommend using aerotech as well. This name stands out to me because one of my team supervisor had his BMW done and they cut the paint with their razors. He was not happy at all.

I think the one I know is Aeroshield - they are out of Laverne - Brackett airport. they use pre-cut kits - so they wouldnt cut the paint? they are ok and price is good but Envisage / Bain is better.

from what I understand, expel makes the machines that cut the pattern. its computer controlled and programmed for each car pattern. once they buy the machine and software the installer can cut whatever kit they want using whatever film they want 3M, venture etc.
      03-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I don't quite get the clear bra thing, personally. I've got 58k on my '01, and maybe a couple extremely small chips on the hood, and some very mild rash on the lower front fascia. Doesn't seem worth the expense to me. Are conditions back East or other places worse enought to make it justifiable? It's still not bulletproof, obviously.
Clear bras are not bulletproof, but they do give cars a lot more protection. I had an Acura TSX before w/o clear bra, and there were so many chips on the bumper and hood. And because my car was red, all areas where paint was chipped off showed the ugly white base paint.

Also, I live in the northern parts of the US where there is a lot of snow. And flying salt really kills your paint. Especially when salt was just dumped on the highway, cars in front of you would kick up big heavy chunks of salt that even chipped my windshield.

And in 2007 when I was driving in China, a peanut-sized piece of dry concrete fell off a cement truck in front of me @~45mph and chipped the hood of my brand new car when I was on my way getting lisence plates.

So, I cannot live w/o a clear bra. Although the edges are not perfect and some even turn yellow, I would rather have those than chipped paint. Clear bra can be replaced easily when worn out but factory paint only comes once.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #26
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
-
So, I cannot live w/o a clear bra. Although the edges are not perfect and some even turn yellow, I would rather have those than chipped paint. Clear bra can be replaced easily when worn out but factory paint only comes once.

^^^ x2

so even if it turns yellow and the edges show you can peel it off after 4 years the front end paint looks perfect, no chips, like new. unles you are a really old guy that never drives the car over 35 mph I would say get the clear bra.

Last edited by sayemthree; 03-07-2008 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #27
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
...unles you are a really old gu that never drives the car over 35 mph I would say get the clear bra.
Appreciate 0