BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

CCC to CIC kits currently on market?

Hello all,

Wondering if any progress has been made in the CCC->CIC retrofit market. I know there are one or two manufacturers out there producing kits in the ~$2,000 range; is that about the best it gets? A little while ago there was 'CIC Retrofit' that sold entire plug & play kits for ~$750, but the owner of that company (Nick) decided to move on and no longer sells the kits.

I could of course purchase a kit off eBay for ~$500, but I've heard stories of MDM/M-Mode not working correctly afterward, etc etc etc.

Am I stuck just purchasing a conversion for $2,000 from someone like BPM? Or are there better options out there?
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
skyrider1977
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'm in a similar boat. I actually purchased a complete CIC kit off the forum that included the screen, CIC unit, cables and CIC controller. It came off a non M car, but I was told that as long as everything gets coded to my car with my VIN, then all the modes should work as if it came with CIC from the factory. I really hope that's the case. There doesn't seem to be as much info out there as I thought there would be.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1977 View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I actually purchased a complete CIC kit off the forum that included the screen, CIC unit, cables and CIC controller. It came off a non M car, but I was told that as long as everything gets coded to my car with my VIN, then all the modes should work as if it came with CIC from the factory. I really hope that's the case. There doesn't seem to be as much info out there as I thought there would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Hello all,

Wondering if any progress has been made in the CCC->CIC retrofit market. I know there are one or two manufacturers out there producing kits in the ~$2,000 range; is that about the best it gets? A little while ago there was 'CIC Retrofit' that sold entire plug & play kits for ~$750, but the owner of that company (Nick) decided to move on and no longer sells the kits.

I could of course purchase a kit off eBay for ~$500, but I've heard stories of MDM/M-Mode not working correctly afterward, etc etc etc.

Am I stuck just purchasing a conversion for $2,000 from someone like BPM? Or are there better options out there?
Quote:
I pieced my kit together 7 years ago for about $600 total. I had it coded and everything has been working fine since. A competent coder should be able to code according to your options. The coder will also need to know if you have retrofits installed. In my case, I retrofitted an OEM alarm kit which I notified my coder that added the option.
      02-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
Kiefermeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

I know Nick's website isn't updated but he just set me up just a few months ago. It took a while for him to reply but he came through with the whole conversion and coding.
Appreciate 1
911r887.50
      02-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
skyrider1977
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefermeister View Post
I know Nick's website isn't updated but he just set me up just a few months ago. It took a while for him to reply but he came through with the whole conversion and coding.
Good to know. The guy I bought my CIC kit from referred me to Nick as well. Nick asked me for my VIN, but I haven't heard back from him for a few weeks now. I'm still looking for a CIC center console for a 6MT so I'm being patient in the mean time.
Appreciate 1
Ajolives901.00
      02-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
I saw this on his website and lost hope

"Dear BMW Community,

After making these kits for two years it is come time for me to stop and move on to the next stage in my life. November 1st will be the last day to put your name on my waitlist for a CIC kit. If you own an E60 vehicle I will do my absolute best to source more E60 CIC units but they have been hard to fine since July. E90 CIC units are generally not an issue for me to source. I will be continuing to honor any outstanding warranties on my kits so if you have a warranty issue with your existing kit feel free to contact me after November 1st.

Thanks,

Nick"

Hoping he's still in the business. Seems like the obvious choice considering it's basically plug and play for 1/3rd of the price of other distributors.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Good to know. The guy I bought my CIC kit from referred me to Nick as well. Nick asked me for my VIN, but I haven't heard back from him for a few weeks now. I'm still looking for a CIC center console for a 6MT so I'm being patient in the mean time.
I've been passively looking for a year now, it's a super rare part to come up for sale.

On the plus side, the CCC controller works fine with the CIC system, just won't have the shortcut buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
skyrider1977
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
I've been passively looking for a year now, it's a super rare part to come up for sale.

On the plus side, the CCC controller works fine with the CIC system, just won't have the shortcut buttons.
Well that's good to know. The CIC controller should be be plug and play with the CCC controller correct? If that's the case I could probably install the CIC system, get recoded and then swap the controller at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't think there's any extra coding according to what I've been told. I'm actually looking to install mine soon so I'll find out for sure soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #10
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post

Well that's good to know. The CIC controller should be be plug and play with the CCC controller correct? If that's the case I could probably install the CIC system, get recoded and then swap the controller at a later date.
The ccc controller works with the cic.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:19 PM   #11
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hello all,

I sourced my parts from eBay (150) dollars for the entire thing. The options can be coded in easily through ncs thankfully. The hardest part is activating navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #12
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by billowusu View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

I sourced my parts from eBay (150) dollars for the entire thing. The options can be coded in easily through ncs thankfully. The hardest part is activating navigation.
Wow really? Did they provide you the vin it came from too? Was this from US or Europe?

I've found them listed far far higher.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #13
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Wow really? Did they provide you the vin it came from too? Was this from US or Europe?

Yea they gave me the vin for the cic unit itself which was 35 dollars (US version)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:36 PM   #14
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Yea they gave me the vin for the cic unit itself which was 35 dollars (US version)
The main issue I'm facing now is navigation. I might just get a CarPlay box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #15
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
The main issue I'm facing now is navigation. I might just get a CarPlay box.
Yes, consider a carplay box. I rarely ever go back to the stock CIC iDrive interface now that carplay is in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #16
skyrider1977
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is navigation not able to be activated when getting the CIC coded with the new cars VIN? I really hope I didn't waste my money buying this CIC kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #17
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is navigation not able to be activated when getting the CIC coded with the new cars VIN? I really hope I didn't waste my money buying this CIC kit.
You can activate navigation easier if your on c1a firmware (2012) cic and have fsc tools installed. If older than 2012, you most likely don't have the c1a firmware and would have to update it using an icom(there might be more workarounds). Or you can get an emulator for 30 dollars on AliExpress to activate navigation. Or you can add the CarPlay device. I wonder if audio sounds good with CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can activate navigation easier if your on c1a firmware (2012) cic and have fsc tools installed. If older than 2012, you most likely don't have the c1a firmware and would have to update it using an icom(there might be more workarounds). Or you can get an emulator for 30 dollars on AliExpress to activate navigation. Or you can add the CarPlay device. I wonder if audio sounds good with CarPlay.
Which components part of this retrofit store the VIN on it?

Is it possible to overwrite the VIN? I don't want any future coding to trip up. Like trying to update all computers in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #19
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which components part of this retrofit store the VIN on it?

Is it possible to overwrite the VIN? I don't want any future coding to trip up. Like trying to update all computers in the future.
Only the cic headunit itself. I got everything separate. It's is possible to overwrite the vin from what I saw. I got my parts from 4 different cars
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #20
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
It can be done a few different ways.

What year is the part from? Or what date does it say on the front of the CIC on the sticker?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #21
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
There is a guy that does it and ships it back to you. That was cheaper/better than me trying to figure out how to update the firmware and activate FSC certs. Forgot his name.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #22
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
There is a guy that does it and ships it back to you. That was cheaper/better than me trying to figure out how to update the firmware and activate FSC certs. Forgot his name.
Could you find your past messages and see if you can find him?
Appreciate 0