BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #1541
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiceman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanturn View Post
Can you code for HU aux pre-carsara install? then install per normal?
Yes.
When you do this the aux is traveling through what, the fiber connectors? there isnt an aux port on the head unit connector right so if you go the coding route do you need to connect the aux from the carsara into anything?
The aux pins are included in the quad lock connector on the head unit. I posted the diagram a few pages back. So if you code it, it'll run through those pins directly rather than through the MOST loop.
GTiceman137.00
      11-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #1542
Jakg
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Has anyone tried one of the really cheap AliExpress ones - I see they are £114 ($150) today?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

I've got a retrofitted CIC + Combox in my E91, still using the CCC controller.

I'm a bit worried about compatibility - am I correct that using an iPhone I will be using the Bluetooth Combox with no loss of quality?
It wouldn't be worth it to get Carplay but lose out on sound quality to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #1543
e92335drew
Rep
Drives: 335 e92

Quote:
Oh yes sorry that was me. Connect the loop terminator D# to B# on the harness when you need to code the CIC. I have my cables and carsara module in the top right of the drivers footwell on my E70 to make it easy to access if I ever need to put the loop terminator to code it.

I've been trying to research before I buy a bit, but this is a bit over my head! Can you explain a bit more background on why you wouldn't need to hook up to the iDrive harness?

Where in Canada are you, also a Canadian!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #1544
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92335drew View Post
Quote:
Oh yes sorry that was me. Connect the loop terminator D# to B# on the harness when you need to code the CIC. I have my cables and carsara module in the top right of the drivers footwell on my E70 to make it easy to access if I ever need to put the loop terminator to code it.

I've been trying to research before I buy a bit, but this is a bit over my head! Can you explain a bit more background on why you wouldn't need to hook up to the iDrive harness?

Where in Canada are you, also a Canadian!
This box is generic and designed to accommodate a lot of variations of the CIC and probably other systems on other E/F chassis cars. In our case the same signals come from the CAN connector, since the IDrive knob is still hooked up normally.
      11-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #1545
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Has anyone actually installed the bimmertech unit? Do we even know anything about it.
DanMpower did.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=104
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #1546
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I bought the Andream unit for CCC plus back up camera. It is en route from China.
Please let me know how the CCC unit installation went and please let me have the web link to your unit. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #1547
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...11ce255a&_ss=r

It is shipping from China so it may be a month before I receive it. The CCC costs more than the CIC model for some reason.
Appreciate 2
tdott3939.50
MJBO2611.50
      11-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #1548
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...11ce255a&_ss=r

It is shipping from China so it may be a month before I receive it. The CCC costs more than the CIC model for some reason.
That looks interesting, haven’t seen that solution before. While I don’t have a problem using the iDrive controller for CarPlay, some functions would be easier with a touchscreen. Tidy too not having to put another box somewhere behind the dash.

Keen to see what you think! Might arrive quicker than you expect, my CP box came from China in less than a week (long before COVID tho).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #1549
motoridersd
Wagon Pusher
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E91 M Sport 6 Spd

Garage List
Got mine this week and trying to install today. I'm having a very hard time getting the microphone/dome light panel to pop off. I removed the visor screws on each side and the headliner is supposed to easily slide down, but it seems the E91 is a little differet and I can't get my hands in to pop the tabs.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that panel out? Will ask on an E91 forum, but figured I'd see if anyone found another way to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #1550
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The head unit lists the WiFi password as 88888888 if that's needed for the android setup. I've only paired my iOS phone so far but might try my android device since my iPhone seems to get shit coverage lately.
Yep, this was it! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:49 PM   #1551
Jakg
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoridersd View Post
Got mine this week and trying to install today. I'm having a very hard time getting the microphone/dome light panel to pop off. I removed the visor screws on each side and the headliner is supposed to easily slide down, but it seems the E91 is a little differet and I can't get my hands in to pop the tabs.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that panel out? Will ask on an E91 forum, but figured I'd see if anyone found another way to remove it.
Get your hand behind the front of the headliner and push in the two metal spring tabs on the front if he light unit and it’ll drop.

It’s harder than it should be.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #1552
motoridersd
Wagon Pusher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the idrive extension cable is not needed? I'm following the Bimmertech video and they run a cable to the idrive controller. Your post makes me think that everything would work through the CAN bus and I only need to worry about the jumper to code?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #1553
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Quote:
So the idrive extension cable is not needed? I'm following the Bimmertech video and they run a cable to the idrive controller. Your post makes me think that everything would work through the CAN bus and I only need to worry about the jumper to code?
Yes, the Carsara unit doesnt need the iDrive controller harness. It works through the quad lock. However; you do lose the ability to code. I am wondering if there is a way to use the iDrive harness to allow the ability to code without having to tear open the trim to move the terminator loop every time you need to code.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #1554
motoridersd
Wagon Pusher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
Yes, the Carsara unit doesnt need the iDrive controller harness. It works through the quad lock. However; you do lose the ability to code. I am wondering if there is a way to use the iDrive harness to allow the ability to code without having to tear open the trim to move the terminator loop every time you need to code.
Thank you. Do you lose all coding ability or only CIC related coding? I might make sure I leave the connectors accessible through the footwell. Will be easier to remove three screws than trying to take out the CIC controller again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Get your hand behind the front of the headliner and push in the two metal spring tabs on the front if he light unit and it’ll drop.

It’s harder than it should be.
Thank you. I left it alone last night and went back to it today with fresh hands and it finally worked. That was a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #1555
motoridersd
Wagon Pusher
Rep

Garage List
I tried the unit before putting everything back together using the armrest AUX in. It sounded ok to me. I'm using Android Auto and the Google Assistant beeps and voice were VERY loud. I fixed that by reducing the Alt (I think that's what it called) volume level in the Carsara settings. Microphone works great and the screen looks really good.

I had to cut the install short tonight. Having issues getting the CIC unit back in, can't the Quadralock connector out of the way enough. Did anyone have to dremmel the plastic on the right side to make it fit? Or am I not doing the jiggling Tetris right?

I might have to do the coding to get the Aux on the headunit and compare audio qualitites before putting everything back together. Good thing I don't have to drive much lately.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:41 AM   #1556
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I will be installing mine tomorrow. Im still super confused about the whole coding process in terms of what needs unplugged and whatever. But I'll figure it out. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #1557
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I tried the unit before putting everything back together using the armrest AUX in. It sounded ok to me. I'm using Android Auto and the Google Assistant beeps and voice were VERY loud. I fixed that by reducing the Alt (I think that's what it called) volume level in the Carsara settings. Microphone works great and the screen looks really good.

I had to cut the install short tonight. Having issues getting the CIC unit back in, can't the Quadralock connector out of the way enough. Did anyone have to dremmel the plastic on the right side to make it fit? Or am I not doing the jiggling Tetris right?

I might have to do the coding to get the Aux on the headunit and compare audio qualitites before putting everything back together. Good thing I don't have to drive much lately.
The Quadlock is a MFer but watch the Bimmertech video. There is a very specific gap on the bottom right where it's just big enough for you to wedge the connector through and outside of that main cavity so it's falling closer to the passenger footwell/glovebox.

Didn't have to cut anything to get it back together.
      11-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #1558
e92335drew
Rep
Drives: 335 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanturn View Post
I will be installing mine tomorrow. Im still super confused about the whole coding process in terms of what needs unplugged and whatever. But I'll figure it out. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me.

Put together a nice walk through I can piggy back on
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #1559
motoridersd
Wagon Pusher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92335drew View Post
Put together a nice walk through I can piggy back on
The Bimmertech E90 Installation video is pretty good

I suggest watching it all the way through before your start. The only notes I have so far are:

1) If you haven't popped the dome light console from the headliner before, this was a lot harder than the video made it look. This DIY has some helfpul instructions on how to pop the tabs https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

2) The Bimmertech video has you run a pigtail to the iDrive controller. This is not needed for the Carsara unit. I had run it before realizing this and just pulled it out later. Remove the pigtail and plug the #A and #B pigtails of the harness together (photo and more info here https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1533). There are a few posts back that talk about coding limitations. If you need to code the CIC, you need to make some changes to this wiring. So either make coding changes ahead of time, or leave the wires easily accessible. Using the footwell was a suggestion.

3) There are instructions in this thread (https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1486) to code the AUX in the back of the headunit vs using the aux cable into the armrest. I haven't tried this yet. Cannyjock reports quality is better, but there is a downside:

Quote:
The only (very minor) negative is that when the system starts up there doesn't seem to be any sound, until I switch to aux again - however this is very easy as I have a shortcut button set up for it (the row of numbered buttons on the CIC headunit) and just press this then it's OK. It seems that the aux in volume stays as 0 unless I do this. Doesn't really bother me.
In the short tests I did with the armrest Aux, I did not have to switch to Aux again, it always worked after start up. I'll be doing some audio comparisons later today to see if I'm happy enough with the audio from the armrest AUX. If it sounds good to me and I don't have to worry about the startup audio at 0, I might keep it this way since I already ran the cable. It wasn't too difficult to run. I still need to test with the car running, hopefully there is no ground loop whine.

Using a Pixel 5 and connected wirelessly

4) Getting the CIC headunit back into place is where I am currently stuck. I spent some time last night trying to get the quadralock connector out of the way. The Bimmertech video talks about tucking it in the bottom right, but I couldn't get it to fit. It was dark and I was tired, so I will try again today. edit: I finally got it. I found it easier to tuck the quadralock connector with the headunit end disconnected, then plugged it back in.

edit: Install is done!

Last edited by motoridersd; 11-30-2020 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 5
PACarGuy679.00
Cyberdemon1537.50
CTMike262.00
Iyzmi802.00
GTiceman137.00
      11-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #1560
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcp312 View Post
Can anyone comment on how the Carsara unit is for Android Auto? From this thread it seemed like the Kremersino was the way to go for Android users and haven't seen much feedback around Android for Carsara. Any feedback appreciated, I'm in the same boat trying to figure out which one to buy that's best for Android.
It works fine - runs AA, once it's running they are pretty much all the same. I'm very happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #1561
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Quote:

I suggest watching it all the way through before your start. The only notes I have so far are:

1) If you haven't popped the dome light console from the headliner before, this was a lot harder than the video made it look. This DIY has some helfpul instructions on how to pop the tabs https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

2) The Bimmertech video has you run a pigtail to the iDrive controller. This is not needed for the Carsara unit. I had run it before realizing this and just pulled it out later. Remove the pigtail and plug the #A and #B pigtails of the harness together (photo and more info here https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1533). There are a few posts back that talk about coding limitations. If you need to code the CIC, you need to make some changes to this wiring. So either make coding changes ahead of time, or leave the wires easily accessible. Using the footwell was a suggestion.

3) There are instructions in this thread (https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1486) to code the AUX in the back of the headunit vs using the aux cable into the armrest. I haven't tried this yet. Cannyjock reports quality is better, but there is a downside:

In the short tests I did with the armrest Aux, I did not have to switch to Aux again, it always worked after start up. I'll be doing some audio comparisons later today to see if I'm happy enough with the audio from the armrest AUX. If it sounds good to me and I don't have to worry about the startup audio at 0, I might keep it this way since I already ran the cable. It wasn't too difficult to run. I still need to test with the car running, hopefully there is no ground loop whine.

4) Getting the CIC headunit back into place is where I am currently stuck. I spent some time last night trying to get the quadralock connector out of the way. The Bimmertech video talks about tucking it in the bottomr right, but I couldn't get it to fit. It was dark and I was tired, so I will try again today.

I'll edit this with more info as I get it.
As above, the quadlock stuff will fit in the gap bottom right behind the headunit. Tight fit but it worked, make sure all the other cables are tidy and not pinched anywhere.

I've not used the car much recently so will play around with the AUX again to see if/why it resets to 0. If you use the AUX cable under the armrest then you don't have this problem.

I have the extra (pigtail as it's referred to above) harness plugged into the iDrive. I did this to allow coding of the CIC to allow direct AUX in, this wouldn't work with the default can connection pictured above, although you may still be able to do it just by putting the loop back in (I don't know for sure). It looks the the E9x works with either option. It's only the CIC that it stops you coding. Fitting the extra harness isn't too bad, the trickiest thing was routing the cable from under the ashtray area, out to the footwell then back up behind the headunit. Like most of the install it's easy once you've done it once!

Answering another question from earlier - don't worry about your trim rattling. I've done stereo installs in cheaper cars (Renault, Subaru) and they can be a pain because of the cheap plastic and clips. The BMW seems better made, everything clips back in well. The biggest thing to look out for is scratching things - be very careful and use towels to protect everything and you should be OK.
Appreciate 1
GTiceman137.00
      11-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #1562
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
Quote:

4) Getting the CIC headunit back into place is where I am currently stuck. I spent some time last night trying to get the quadralock connector out of the way. The Bimmertech video talks about tucking it in the bottomr right, but I couldn't get it to fit. It was dark and I was tired, so I will try again today.

I'll edit this with more info as I get it.
As above, the quadlock stuff will fit in the gap bottom right behind the headunit. Tight fit but it worked, make sure all the other cables are tidy and not pinched anywhere.

I've not used the car much recently so will play around with the AUX again to see if/why it resets to 0. If you use the AUX cable under the armrest then you don't have this problem.

I have the extra (pigtail as it's referred to above) harness plugged into the iDrive. I did this to allow coding of the CIC to allow direct AUX in, this wouldn't work with the default can connection pictured above, although you may still be able to do it just by putting the loop back in (I don't know for sure). It looks the the E9x works with either option. It's only the CIC that it stops you coding. Fitting the extra harness isn't too bad, the trickiest thing was routing the cable from under the ashtray area, out to the footwell then back up behind the headunit. Like most of the install it's easy once you've done it once!

Answering another question from earlier - don't worry about your trim rattling. I've done stereo installs in cheaper cars (Renault, Subaru) and they can be a pain because of the cheap plastic and clips. The BMW seems better made, everything clips back in well. The biggest thing to look out for is scratching things - be very careful and use towels to protect everything and you should be OK.
I am going to go back and attach the idrive harness to allow cic coding. could you explain how you have yours connected or better yet have a picture of how its connected? do you have the terminator loop plugged in as well?
Appreciate 0