BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

11-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
sojirovs
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 zcp m3, 04 s2000

Has anyone tried YI action camera?

I purchased RAM window mount for my iphone XS. After recording a few videos using Trackaddict app, I felt like I needed to take anti-nausea meds while watching recorded videos. They vibrate so much. I searched the forum to find any solution (possibly Gimbal mount) and found magnet attachment to the phone (I'd rather not do to my new phone).

This morning, I remembered that I bought Yi action camera 3 years ago. Is anyone using this camera plus any track apps?
I googled to see if they could work together, but I couldn't find anything.
Is Gopro the only option? If I end up getting a Gopro which edition should I get? 5 and up?
AIM solo is bit too much for now.

Last edited by sojirovs; 11-09-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

I have one. Yi 4K cam. Not amazing, but it works. I'd say overall is "good" but not "great" whether it be the audio or video quality. Have not tried combining video with any data

I use Waylens which is a bit more tricky to set up but is cheaper than AIM solo, has more features like OBD2 stuff, lap timing.

Last edited by kyippee; 11-09-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
kayha12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The new iphone x (and I believe 8) has the internal optical image stabilization that actually hinders performance since the camera picks up the slightest vibrations from the windshield and tries to correct.

I've done the magnet hack before and it works ok, your other option is to use the selfie/front camera instead. Only downside here is then all your lateral G inputs will be reversed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayha12 View Post
The new iphone x (and I believe 8) has the internal optical image stabilization that actually hinders performance since the camera picks up the slightest vibrations from the windshield and tries to correct.

I've done the magnet hack before and it works ok, your other option is to use the selfie/front camera instead. Only downside here is then all your lateral G inputs will be reversed.
+1 Using the front camera will remove the jello effect. But it will reverse your G inputs.

I just use my Gopro with Harry's Laptimer. The app can connect to the camera and start/stop the video so it is in sync when overlaying.