BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #45
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have owned an E90 M3. Sold it. It s heavy. The size is like an old 5 series. It s not a nimble sporty car anymore.

I have bought a GT3 for track now. And a 1M wil be my daily car.

The 1 series is the best bmw could do. 3 series has grown way to much. If i want big i buy a 5 series.

New 3 series will be bigger again. Done with it. When i am old and complete gray maybe i go look for an M3 again. uuuh no the 1 series will be at that time as big as 3 series is now. LOL

1 series is the most sporty car at bmw at the moment. I am real happy bmw brought the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #46
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have owned an E90 M3. Sold it. It s heavy. The size is like an old 5 series. It s not a nimble sporty car anymore.

I have bought a GT3 for track now. And a 1M wil be my daily car.

The 1 series is the best bmw could do. 3 series has grown way to much. If i want big i buy a 5 series.

New 3 series will be bigger again. Done with it. When i am old and complete gray maybe i go look for an M3 again. uuuh no the 1 series will be at that time as big as 3 series is now. LOL

1 series is the most sporty car at bmw at the moment. I am real happy bmw brought the 1 series.
Nicely done! Thank goodness for the 1 series - no more 3's for me after this M3.
      05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #47
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

No doubt, the 3 series is big now. I would have considered the 1M if it had the S65

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #48
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
Of course they are full of it. The real M is the M3, period. 1M is a midget BMW on stereoids. 1 series look ugly and unbalanced to begin with. Every time I see a 135 there is a young kid sitting in it with his buddy, they are both sitting like I sit on my couch to watch movies on saturday so you can hardly see their face. The only reason they buy this car is because they cannot afford the 335. Same thing goes for the 1M and the M3. So there is no point of even arguing. 1 series is just ugly M or no M.
DAMN! Harsh words. But spot on.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #49
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Im sure people in 1Ms will have the same experience with the nods, thumbs ups, and compliments. The general public doesnt know anything about cars anyways, I have had people ask me how I like my M3 when I get out of the 135 (on more than one occasion). Ive been asked if my Viper is Italian, and been asked who makes it, all the while there are letters across my bumper that say DODGE.

Youre putting M3 in the same sentence as a 911? Its a nice car, ya, but its nowhere near a 911. Lets not get carried away, the M3 is no super car (Ive seen that word tossed around twice in this thread already), nice yes, sporty yes, but nowhere near supercar status (I wouldnt even classify a 911 as supercar). Im not hating on the car, I like it, although I would never buy one. M3 owners come off as delusional.
I won't get too upset that you reading comprehensions sucks, and notice how you feel the need to attack and make judgments about ///M3 owners, when no one has done that about 1-series owners........I am not comparing the ///M3 to the 911 buddy, I'm comparing the history, and tradition behind the two models. Its why cars in each of their classes that outperform them, still don't receive the same reverence. We're not delusional, you don't know most of the ///M3 owners, and it sounds like its not their delusional, its just that you don't take the time to listen to what people are saying.

I hated 335i owners that spent hours justifying how their tuned versions were better than an ///M3, and I OWNED one of those tuned cars and I knew there were / are nuts. One is not BETTER THAN THE OTHER, they have different purposes......different strokes for different folks. Now the threads of "the 1M is better than the ///M3" have now begun. Funny part is, I never, ever saw a thread saying "the ///M3 outperforms the ///M5 or ///M6". You know why? Because ///M3 owners don't care, they love their cars and realize that they can't be compared to the vaunted ///M5.

So why is there is a group of 1-series guys that feel inclined to dance around screaming about how on one or two tracks the 1M performs better than the ///M3? WHO CARES? Why are the magazines comparing them? They don't compare the e90 ///M3 to the ///M5 do they? I just don't get it. Its like the Cayman vs. 911 discussions, I don't understand them.....or maybe I do, maybe the 911 and //M3's are the benchmarks in each of their worlds, so everyone wants to compare things to them......

That is why I wrote the response I did, and I why I crafted this one.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #50
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

Picks M3 over 1M.
      05-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #51
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

[QUOTE=e46e92love;9604921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post

So why is there is a group of 1-series guys that feel inclined to dance around screaming about how on one or two tracks the 1M performs better than the ///M3? WHO CARES? Why are the magazines comparing them? They don't compare the e90 ///M3 to the ///M5 do they? I just don't get it. Its like the Cayman vs. 911 discussions, I don't understand them.....or maybe I do, maybe the 911 and //M3's are the benchmarks in each of their worlds, so everyone wants to compare things to them......

Cheers,
e46e92
Can't say it any better myself
      05-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #52
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
Picks M3 over 1M.

+1 on my second e92 m3. could give a damn how well the 1m performs. I don't like the looks of the 1.
      05-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #53
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post

Speaking from a neutral perspective (dont own either 1er of M3) I have to disagree. Seeing the way each party treats the other on their respective boards I would say the M3 crowd is way more hostile to the 1M crowd. The 1M crowd is excited because, like you said, it compares favorably to the M3 which is the performance benchmark of the brand. But people on here are getting ridiculous saying how ugly the 1M is, how its an entry level car, not a real M car, etc etc. Seems to me like the 1M crowd is sort of paying respect to the M3 by setting it as the benchmark while some M3 owners have nothing but terrible things to say about it for one reason or another. Its amazing how a new M car (which should be a good thing right?) can make some people so angry
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #54
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Speaking from a neutral perspective (dont own either 1er of M3) I have to disagree. Seeing the way each party treats the other on their respective boards I would say the M3 crowd is way more hostile to the 1M crowd. The 1M crowd is excited because, like you said, it compares favorably to the M3 which is the performance benchmark of the brand. But people on here are getting ridiculous saying how ugly the 1M is, how its an entry level car, not a real M car, etc etc. Seems to me like the 1M crowd is sort of paying respect to the M3 by setting it as the benchmark while some M3 owners have nothing but terrible things to say about it for one reason or another. Its amazing how a new M car (which should be a good thing right?) can make some people so angry
Am I allowed to not like the looks of the 1M and 1-series in general? Because I have never liked the 1-series from the first time I saw one. I also do not presently have a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #55
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

My kids' Cooper S is a hoot to drive. Call it a shorter-wheelbase, entry-level 1 Series. There are similar comparisons between the 1M and the M3, and the M3 and M5 for that matter. Different flavors for different folks, or different moments in life. 'Sall good.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #56
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Am I allowed to not like the looks of the 1M and 1-series in general? Because I have never liked the 1-series from the first time I saw one. I also do not presently have a BMW.
lol you can like or not like whatever you want. That wasnt the point of what I said.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #57
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
lol you can like or not like whatever you want. That wasnt the point of what I said.
Your words, "But people on here are getting ridiculous saying how ugly the 1M is".

I think that it is not ridiculous to dislike the way a car looks and to not consider it based on aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #58
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
1M is ugly... I don't care how fast it is.....
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #59
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
A couple things to note. First, the 1M does NOT compare favorably to the M3 in terms of performance. Second, a new M car isn't necessarily a good thing. True M enthusiasts recognize the departure that the engineers have made from the driving characteristics of the cars that built the M brand. Has it ever occurred to you that introducing the X5M, X6M and 1M has diluted the value of the M brand among true enthusiasts? That's not prejudice against competition from other BMW models, it's indignation over the direction in which they're heading. The proof to that point is readily observable in the countless "e9x M3 is the last true M car" threads.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #60
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Its the ignorance that irks me.......if you have been around these boards for the last 5 years, you would see it and know what I'm talking about. I wish people would stop taking things I say out of context....I love the 1M, its not the car that gets me annoyed, its the comparisons, and chest pounding, it gets old. The paragraph you quote was written in response to something someone else stated, and around here if you don't make your point crystal clear, they react like a 10-year old.

I respect your disagreement, but please point me to one thread comparing ///M3 performance to either the ///M5 or ///M6? There is none.....so why are there threads comparing the ///1M to the ///M3? There in-lies my point....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #61
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I won't get too upset that you reading comprehensions sucks, and notice how you feel the need to attack and make judgments about ///M3 owners, when no one has done that about 1-series owners........I am not comparing the ///M3 to the 911 buddy, I'm comparing the history, and tradition behind the two models. Its why cars in each of their classes that outperform them, still don't receive the same reverence. We're not delusional, you don't know most of the ///M3 owners, and it sounds like its not their delusional, its just that you don't take the time to listen to what people are saying.

I hated 335i owners that spent hours justifying how their tuned versions were better than an ///M3, and I OWNED one of those tuned cars and I knew there were / are nuts. One is not BETTER THAN THE OTHER, they have different purposes......different strokes for different folks. Now the threads of "the 1M is better than the ///M3" have now begun. Funny part is, I never, ever saw a thread saying "the ///M3 outperforms the ///M5 or ///M6". You know why? Because ///M3 owners don't care, they love their cars and realize that they can't be compared to the vaunted ///M5.

Cheers,
e46e92
I never said anything about the 1 being better than a 3 or outperforming it. I cant make that judgement until I drive both cars. Nor am I here to make that judgement. I buy what I like and everyone should do just that.

Perhaps you dont see that about the 3 vs 5 or 6 because the 5 or 6 are completely different cars. The 1 and 3 are not SO different. A 135 is a 335 in a smaller lighter package, a 335 is not that package of a 535. No one really cross shops M3 with M5. Different cars, different demographics. Cayman/911 is a different story, but again if the smaller package gives the results one wants, why spend more and get the bigger one? Its not about affordability, I could have bought an M3 cash when I bought the 135, I drove it and it didnt appeal to me. If I dont get the 1M ill be getting a GT3 RS, hopefully the 4.0. Im not looking at a 1M because I cant afford a 3. Did all M3 owners buy 3s because they cant afford 5s? Its M3 owners who are posting these remarks that 1M buyers couldnt afford an M3, and making judgments of them, not the other way around as your post suggests.

As far as heritage, the M3 heritage does not compare to the 911s, you are talking about 20 so years versus 50-60 years, and I dare say the M3 has veered off course in that short time. The GT coupe the E9x is, is a huge departure from what the E30 is/was. In its segment the M3 may be the leader, but its not a supercar as some have mentioned. A Mustang has more history than an M3, but you dont dare mention a Ford in the same sentence do you? I didnt compare a Mustang to an M3 so save yourself the reply on that.

I listen to what people are saying... people are discounting a car because it has the same wheels or other parts as your so revered M3. If your car is so great then a smaller lighter car with the SAME parts that make your car so great wouldnt be hated on so much. Looks are subjective, you nor anyone has to like the 1. I personally think the M3 looks like a Grand Am, but Im not running around discounting the car because it looks like a Pontiac. I dont think you will ever find a post on any forum by me saying such. Why? because it doesnt matter what I think it looks like and what it looks like doesnt change how it performs.

I said numerous times its a great car, but lets not bow down to it as the be all end all of "supercars". Slap an M3 badge on the back of a 128, and watch people say "nice M3 dude". If you bought it for the attention, youre a poser anyways. Again, I am not suggesting you did, but someone mentioned the attention they get in the car as if that validates anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #62
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
But people on here are getting ridiculous saying how ugly the 1M
How is this ridiculous? To many people, the 1M is ugly and so is the 1-series. My girlfriend doesn't know about these thing, and when I pointed out a 1 series on the road, the first thing that she said was that it looked ugly.

While I like performance, I'm not paying that much money for such an ugly car. I'd rather have a 328 over a 128, a 335 over a 135, and a 335is over the 1M if the M3 weren't an option.

Most of the time we're not driving fast... So might as well look good, at least.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #63
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
How is this ridiculous? To many people, the 1M is ugly and so is the 1-series. My girlfriend doesn't know about these thing, and when I pointed out a 1 series on the road, the first thing that she said was that it looked ugly.

While I like performance, I'm not paying that much money for such an ugly car. I'd rather have a 328 over a 128, a 335 over a 135, and a 335is over the 1M if the M3 weren't an option.

Most of the time we're not driving fast... So might as well look good, at least.
Not saying its ridiculous at all to have an opinion. I was merely commenting on the notion that the 1M supporters were the ones talking smack when it appears its the opposite. Looks are obviously very subjective...im not a fan of the 1 series looks in general but I will reserve judgement of the 1M until I see it in person. I remember being pleasantly surprised at how much better the 135i looked in the flesh than the photos I had seen online. My point was simply that it seemed like some people were almost going out of their way to take jabs at the 1M and seemed to get very defensive when someone compared it to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #64
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
This is no different than the 911/Cayman debate.
You beat me to it and are exactly right !
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #65
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Last time I checked Porsche also offered plenty of turbo models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
No more BMWs for me....time to go to Porsche Just glad I got two of the last real Ms....you know the ones with the S designated motors......
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #66
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
1M is really for a different type of person. I don't think M3 will be affected by much...but 135i sales might.
Want facile torque: 1M. Want F1-derived - butterfly throttle high-rev - engine: M3 E9X.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0